Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressure washing, mowing, and finishing the screened in porch for me for the next week or two, so no scrounging for a little while for me....

Oh but hopefully getting an old cast iron troybilt rear tine tiller soon. So add getting a garden planted onto that list too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Howdy scroungers. Been too long since I was cutting logs, making firewood but am finally back at it. Cellular signal is crap though so will do a mass pictorial posting blitz in a few weeks when back in civilisation. Best news so far is how much of an angry freak of a saw the mmws 261 is. It is asking for more with 18" bar buried in dry gum. It even stands up on 24" 3/8 .063 in the same gum if I don't lean on it and keep rakers at a sane height. Amazing. Feels like that crazy hot chick ya dated in highschool that performed really well but on the back of your mind you're waiting for her to blow up any minute without warning because it seems too good to last. Don't tell me ya don't know what I mean.

Only downside to the 261 is that I was used to the fuel economy of the stock Ryobi 241 and that is a pipe dream now the 261 has replaced it.

A little Off Topic. I hang out a little on a Pocket Knife collectors forum now and again. They have about 9000 members. Once a month a member will donate a knife as a give a way prize. For March, I donated an old fishing, bait cutting knife I never use. The guy that won the knife, lives in Moscow. I hope it's legal to ship this thing to him. I guess I'll find out soon, Joe.
PZtOpPr.jpg

URTi8OP.jpg

I hang out a little on a Pocket Knife collectors forum now and again.

I got a few collectables, but can't prove all of em.

Have a Colt folding pocket knife (the handle splits).

Have a Gerber Folding Stag handle knife, very knurly, was one of 6 samples sent to the East Coast pre production, but don't know how to prove it (no S/N).

The big knife I use for hunting all the time is a Gerber specked by Cutlery Shop. The S/N is CS 00036.

Also have my Puma Bowie that my brother gave me when I was 16, so that is about 50 years old now. Again, nice stag horn on the handle.

My MIL gives me a knfe every year for my birthday and Christmas. She buys pretty, but not always usefull or collectable. Thats alright tho, I have a drawer full of knifes. Last Christmas, she picked up a Sabre folding knife. Now I generally think of sabre as a cheap, use it until it breaks, wire stripping do anything knife. I noticed on the blade this one was made in Italy. That makes it a collectable, albeit a cheap collectable. I guess i will just keep this one in its box and handit down to one of the grandkids. She also every now and then buys decent carry knifes. I carry a case trapper and sodbuster in my pocket all the time. I also carry a cattelmans three blade folder. I keep the two Case knifes razor sharp, I use them for cutting meat. The cattelman has a very fine point that is just right for digging out splinters out of my fingers.

It's been a quite the year for me. Feels like Mr Murphy (not you Bill, the other one LOL) has been right behind me at every turn. Been out of town for several weeks longer than expected (not all bad since I am south where it is 74 today and the north is still getting pummeled with snow as we speak) but I am really ready to get back home now.

To cut to the chase: my grandpa had a really nice Super EZ that my I let my cousin take after grandpa passed as I already had a few saws. That was back in the spring of 02' when we were cleaning out grandpa's stuff. I had reached out to my cousin a couple years ago to see if he wanted to sell it and he never answered me. I had asked my aunt (who I have an arms length relationship with after she raided my grandparent's house for all of the good stuff) about him and she and my other cousin just said that he didn't really talk to anyone any more.

On Sunday I get a text out of the blue wishing me a happy Easter from this cousin who i haven't seen since my grandma's funeral back in 2006. We went back and forth catching up and after a while I asked him about the saw. He said he has never ran it since he took it home and as soon as he can find it in his storage unit he will give it to me. So not holding my breath to see the saw anytime soon but it was great to reconnect as we were pretty close back before my grandparents died. I guess he doesn't have much contact with my aunt either which is not a huge surprise as she can be quite overbearing and has had her share of issues.

Similar story. When my wife's grandmother passed, I was asked if there was anything in her house that I wanted. At first I said no, then backed up and said yes, the old double bladed ax in the garage. Too late, my BIL already took it. I asked him if I could have it and he said "sure". He'd been digging out bushes around his newly bought house. Said he planned to chop roots with it till it broke, then scrasp it. So, I was lucky and got to bring it home, that's my prized American Beauty Double, Joe.

Howdy scroungers. Been too long since I was cutting logs, making firewood but am finally back at it.

Well it's about time.

Only trouble is that you'll start posting up piles of firewood bigger than my house and make us all feel like lazy dweebs.

Back