Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had planned to work the woodpile tonight to take advantage of the cool weather (it topped out at 55 today) but my daughter needed a haircut so we headed to town. Stopped for Mexican food after the haircut which was delicious. I think the high for tomorrow is supposed to be 66 so still nice weather to work in.

Today, I split and loaded 1/2 cord of Ash, still in my trailer. Then there was the Washer delivery. Then, I got 2 460 Tank Handles!!!! Had waited 1.5 months for one, and when it came it was for a 440!!! So I ordered from another co on Sat, they said 1.5 weeks (and they cost less), and the right product came in less than 1/2 a week, amazing!

So I got another 460 running today. Will have to try it out when I have time, but have to work with my brother tomorrow.

It is surprising how many folks that get inflamed by the stuff, yet have no idea how to spot it. In case you've never had a good tutorial, here is how you can ALWAYS be right about whether or not some plant is poison ivy:
  1. Leaves of three. Yep, but there are a surprising number of plants that have that feature. NEVER 5, Never 2, Never just one. Counting the leaves is not enough. Also: Technically, the correct expression is "leaflets of three". The triad of leaflets is one entire leaf.
  2. Leaves are "alternate" on the vine. This means that each 3-leaf combination does NOT have another one attached opposite it on the stem. If the leaves-of-three are paired going up the stem: you have a Box Elder maple.
  3. The center of the 3 leaflets is on a longer petiole (stem), and it is a bigger leaflet that the other two. It will have what is called an "acuminate tip", which means that it is somewhat pointy on the end. The leaflets on either side are closely attached. The petioles have a tendency to have some reddish tint to them, too.
  4. You CANNOT tell poison ivy from the shape of the leaflets. They may be smooth edged, or deeply dentate (with teeth). They are never finely serrated, though. Once you know the "look" of them, it is still pretty easy to spot. They are never "lobed" which is to say that the indentations on the leaf are rounded, rather than angular.
This pic has smooth edged leaves.
index_clip_image006.jpg

This one doesn't:
index_clip_image015.png

5. Poison ivy can be free standing, but it never gets real big unless it is climbing a taller structure. When it climbs up an object as a vine, it will attach itself with aerial roots. These are little hairs that just seem to grow into whatever the plant is growing up. Just because it doesn't look like a vine doesn't mean it can't be P-ivy.

index_clip_image004.jpg
No aerial roots on a mature plant but still has the previous four traits? It isn't poison ivy. I have seen landscape vines that had some of the immature leaves that were so deeply lobed that an unskilled observer would think it was poison ivy. But it didn't grow aerial roots; instead, it had "hold fasts", little adhesive pads that hang onto anything.

6. The leaflets are glabrous. That means that they don't have any fuzzy little hairs on them. I put this item last, because if you are allergic to P-Ivy, then you don't need to be fondling the leaves to see if they have microscopic hairs on them.​
Distinguishing poison ivy from poison oak is a bit of a moot point. Poison Oak has most of the above features, but the leaves are quite a bit more rounded, and they have hair on both sides of the leaf. Poison oak (in my very limited experience) is just not as invasive as the vine, and is seldom encountered. Since you might still get a god-awful rash from poison oak, it doesn't really matter if you can tell them apart.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron

Myth: NO! Not you, nor anyone else can look at a rash and determine that it wasn't poison ivy, or P-oak, or P-sumac, or for that matter, any other kind of contact dermatitis. You are allergic, and you get a rash. It could be caused by anything.
I have actually had people tell me that their doctor assured them that their rash was caused by poison oak, not poison ivy. Egotistical bastards! There isn't one single poison oak plant in our region, so the victim damn sure didn't get exposed to any. Besides, the individual's relative allergy and the type of exposure make more difference than which plant gave you the rash.

Handy info to have, thanks.

I have encountered plenty of P I in the ol West Virginia woods. I used to be paranoid about the stuff until I watched a youtube vid about it and the guy just showed that the urushiol (sp?) had the consistency of heavy grease so you just have to scrub it harder and completely to get it all removed. After that I have never had a problem. I just scrub with the usual workshop hand cleaner. You dont have to scrub right away, but I figure the sooner the better.

Dont ever burn the stuff people the airborne version gets in the lungs and is very dangerous!

I previously used a product that did work to remove it called zanfel ($40 small bottle at walgreens - has a kid's swollen face on the box) but I feel like it worked because it was an efficient scrub by texture and physical removal, not just chemistry.

just what Ive found. Glad to pass on what's worked for me.

I put on Bull Frog 100% sun block Zinc Oxide the grey pasty stuff. Barrier to block skin and hard to wash off and I have rubber gloves to throw away....
I use a machete to strip from the bark..... wash machete when you get home or next time it will get you .....20170925_112515_resized.jpg
Was looking for pics when it turns red

With so many vines out in the woods here I strip all of them so I dont trip with a running saw
Vine on the right is not PI

It was 49 degrees here on my way to work this morning and supposed to be about 44 overnight. Beautiful!
The car told me it was 100* here yesterday afternoon. I could go for some cooler days.

View attachment 671398

Whoop Whoop! or rather barp barp, burble burble, barp barp!

Not run it yet, won't get chance until the weekend....may not even then! visually it looks great though. 2015 according to the plate. virtually new chain, semi chisel (wtf! semi chisel on a 71cc pro saw?!) I'll need a spare or 2 anyway.

Nice saw I have one that's a few years older and it does the job. Technically it's not listed as a pro saw but its not far from being one either. Also cut some dirty wood and you will be happy you have that semi chisel chain. I have both full and semi chisel for most of my saws they have different applications and those applications aren't really determined by the #cc's the saw has.

Handy info to have, thanks.

I have encountered plenty of P I in the ol West Virginia woods. I used to be paranoid about the stuff until I watched a youtube vid about it and the guy just showed that the urushiol (sp?) had the consistency of heavy grease so you just have to scrub it harder and completely to get it all removed. After that I have never had a problem. I just scrub with the usual workshop hand cleaner. You dont have to scrub right away, but I figure the sooner the better.

Dont ever burn the stuff people the airborne version gets in the lungs and is very dangerous!

I previously used a product that did work to remove it called zanfel ($40 small bottle at walgreens - has a kid's swollen face on the box) but I feel like it worked because it was an efficient scrub by texture and physical removal, not just chemistry.

just what Ive found. Glad to pass on what's worked for me.

Dawn dish soap works just fine if you wash the oil off soon enough.

I put on Bull Frog 100% sun block Zinc Oxide the grey pasty stuff. Barrier to block skin and hard to wash off and I have rubber gloves to throw away....
I use a machete to strip from the bark..... wash machete when you get home or next time it will get you .....View attachment 671477
Was looking for pics when it turns red

With so many vines out in the woods here I strip all of them so I dont trip with a running saw
Vine on the right is not PI

But the big fuzzy one is. I also shower with fels naptha soap after cutting to make sure I get all of the residual PI oils I may have come in contact with off.

Question for the brains trust, how do the moulded handles on these Isocore and X27’s hold up to long term abuse vs a wooden handle?
I've only seen one X27 that broke, mine :cry:.
I think X27 has a lifetime replacement warranty. Mine has taken some vicious hits to the handle, and it is just fine.
It does :clap:, and my new one has as well :yes:.
Much better.

I have wailed my X27 hard several times. Definitely would have shattered a few wooden handles. I am approaching 50 cords split with it and the only wear is on the top of the cutting edge because I split on the ground.
That's where mine is showing wear too, little dirt does a lot of damage, but nothing that can't be sharpened out if needed although I haven't felt the need yet.
My understanding is as long as someone didn't hammer the poll, they will warranty the tool, no questions asked.
Thats my understanding too, it even shows on the cover what not to do if I'm correct.
For warranty all you have to do is take a picture or two (been a while), go to the fiscars website and fill out the form, then upload the picture, then get brand new fiscars :happy:.
Steve was it in here or a thread you did where I posted about mine getting broke, I can't remember.

Went back this morning and dropped another tree, hooked up a strap and drug it closer to the yard so it would be easier loading. Got most of it limbed and bucked and stepped on a yellow jacket nest, thank GOD none got under my chaps. It’s 87* here so I left. Go back tomorrow really early. Got nailed 4 times Friday weed eating, that was enough.
Sorry to hear about you getting hacked but the bees.
Just last week I was doing some grading at our place and asked my son to move the picnic table, he was freaking out because he saw a wasp(and because he had gotten stung the previous week), I told him you still need to move the table without getting freaked out. He wouldn't so I got off the tractor and moved it myself, wouldn't you know I got hit right between the eyes :dizzy:. My wife makes a plantain tincture that I put on it, pain/itchiness gone in an instant:happybanana:.
In this part of western PA there isn’t a live ash tree to be seen, plus it’s 4 miles from home.
Same here most all of them are dead. I know where there are a few that are alive still that were sprayed early on, they are massive trees, cool they took action right away. When you drive by any area with ash in it you see nothing but dead trees, half broken off, others leaning on multiples that are all tipped themselves, it's quite the mess. The state has not done a great job in cleaning them away from the roadways so every storm we get more are in the road. We had a pretty good front come in last night, we were on our way home from a friends where I was doing a bit of tree work, this was the first one we came across, but there were a bunch off others until we met up with the fire guys who were clearing from the opposite direction(my hands were wet so I didn't take any other pics).
IMG_20180828_203136489_LL.jpg

Dawn dish soap works just fine if you wash the oil off soon enough.
I posted that before I watched the video. Sure enough he's got a bottle of dawn on the sink. :D

A good scientist he may be. Sawyer? Not so much. Did you see that terrible drop at the end of the VIDJA?!

It is surprising how many folks that get inflamed by the stuff, yet have no idea how to spot it. In case you've never had a good tutorial, here is how you can ALWAYS be right about whether or not some plant is poison ivy:
  1. Leaves of three. Yep, but there are a surprising number of plants that have that feature. NEVER 5, Never 2, Never just one. Counting the leaves is not enough. Also: Technically, the correct expression is "leaflets of three". The triad of leaflets is one entire leaf.
  2. Leaves are "alternate" on the vine. This means that each 3-leaf combination does NOT have another one attached opposite it on the stem. If the leaves-of-three are paired going up the stem: you have a Box Elder maple.
  3. The center of the 3 leaflets is on a longer petiole (stem), and it is a bigger leaflet than the other two. It will have what is called an "acuminate tip", which means that it is somewhat pointy on the end. The leaflets on either side are closely attached. The petioles have a tendency to have some reddish tint to them, too.
  4. You CANNOT tell poison ivy from the shape of the leaflets. They may be smooth edged, or deeply dentate (with teeth). They are never finely serrated, though. Once you know the "look" of them, it is still pretty easy to spot. They are never "lobed" which is to say that the indentations on the leaf are rounded, rather than angular.
This pic has smooth edged leaves.
index_clip_image006.jpg

This one doesn't:
index_clip_image015.png

5. Poison ivy can be free standing, but it never gets real big unless it is climbing a taller structure. When it climbs up an object as a vine, it will attach itself with aerial roots. These are little hairs that just seem to grow into whatever the plant is growing up. Just because it doesn't look like a vine doesn't mean it can't be P-ivy.

index_clip_image004.jpg
No aerial roots on a mature plant but still has the previous four traits? It isn't poison ivy. I have seen landscape vines that had some of the immature leaves that were so deeply lobed that an unskilled observer would think it was poison ivy. But it didn't grow aerial roots; instead, it had "hold fasts", little adhesive pads that hang onto anything.

6. The leaflets are glabrous. That means that they don't have any fuzzy little hairs on them. I put this item last, because if you are allergic to P-Ivy, then you don't need to be fondling the leaves to see if they have microscopic hairs on them.​
Distinguishing poison ivy from poison oak is a bit of a moot point. Poison Oak has most of the above features, but the leaves are quite a bit more rounded, and they have hair on both sides of the leaf. Poison oak (in my very limited experience) is just not as invasive as the vine, and is seldom encountered. Since you might still get a god-awful rash from poison oak, it doesn't really matter if you can tell them apart.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron

Myth: NO! Not you, nor anyone else can look at a rash and determine that it wasn't poison ivy, or P-oak, or P-sumac, or for that matter, any other kind of contact dermatitis. You are allergic, and you get a rash. It could be caused by anything.
I have actually had people tell me that their doctor assured them that their rash was caused by poison oak, not poison ivy. Egotistical bastards! There isn't one single poison oak plant in our region, so the victim damn sure didn't get exposed to any. Besides, the individual's relative allergy and the type of exposure make more difference than which plant gave you the rash.

So does Bear have poison ivy growing up his tree or not?

From the ABC27 web site

Here is today's heat warning for the following PA counties
  • Adams
  • Cumberland
  • Dauphin
  • Franklin
  • Lancaster
  • Lebanon
  • Perry
  • York
...HEAT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT WEDNESDAY...* HEAT INDEX VALUES...UP TO 103 DEGREES DUE TO AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 90S, AND DEW POINTS IN THE LOWER 70S. LOW TEMPERATURES EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING WILL ONLY BE IN THE 70S, WITH THE HEAT INDEX IN THE 80S UNTIL AT LEAST MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.* TIMING...THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY EVENING. * IMPACTS...THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE HEAT STRESS DURING OUTDOOR EXERTION OR EXTENDED EXPOSURE. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...LIMIT OR RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES. FIND SHADE AND STAY HYDRATED. CHECK UP ON THE ELDERLY, SICK AND THOSE WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING. NEVER LEAVE KIDS OR PETS UNATTENDED... LOOK BEFORE YOU LOCK.&&

I've only seen one X27 that broke, mine :cry:.

Steve was it in here or a thread you did where I posted about mine getting broke, I can't remember.
I do not recall as there have been many.....there was also a thread called "Fiskars, what a piece of plastic!" that was started as a joke by one of the brush ape aliases and turned into a Fiskars success story thread LOL.

Latest posts

Back