Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a few goodies from Homelite410 today.
img20200420_162052.jpg

Still over my head in house stuff so it may sit a while. Trying to take advantage of my growing labor pool of furloughed family. Will have 2 this week!

That and the knuckle dragger I paid for 2 Stihl es light bars has ghosted. (Not from here). So only have the 1 32" rollomatic yet. Was hoping to make that my dedicated felling and stumping bar.

I seem to recall Dolmar were doing the inline (sorry, they call it longitudinal) motor electric chainsaws when Makita bought them then set about expanding and upgrading their Makita models using said motor style. Looking at the Makita options in UK, they seem to peak at 2kW with the UC4051A/2 model at £160, sporting a 16" 3/8" .050" bar and chain. If google can be relied on they say the UK power sockets are 13amp, 230v so 3kW max, which leaves a whopping 1kW on the table. I can't seem to find any saws above 2.1kW from any brand. Maybe the thinking is that because they have to limit the torque for safety reasons, there's no point going above this power level/amp draw?

UC4051A.jpg

Doesn't have the peak power of the 365, but I would assume the power it has is available at any revs, not just a certain RPM like petrol. Lighter, less vibes but way slower chain speed.

I wonder if anyone hires them out. Might be worth a half day hire to see how it stacks up.

Another nice day here today, so I decided to get started splitting some wood. So, I drove the splitter over to the trailer with big rounds on it,

standard.jpg

And there were some NICE blocks of firewood on that trailer! I just rolled them right onto the splitters beam,

standard.jpg

This is the biggest round of the day,

standard.jpg

I had to push it through the 4-way several times to get it all down to the sizes I wanted, but it's nice that those big blocks fill my half cord boxes pretty fast!

standard.jpg

In a few days, I'll be back at it!

SR

View attachment 820333

Still over my head in house stuff so it may sit a while. Trying to take advantage of my growing labor pool of furloughed family. Will have 2 this week!

That and the knuckle dragger I paid for 2 Stihl es light bars has ghosted. (Not from here). So only have the 1 32" rollomatic yet. Was hoping to make that my dedicated felling and stumping bar.
A homelite410 vice and hopefully adaptors to run Stihl bars on the echos are on my list of stimulus check purchases. Being able to run common DL counts will make life easy.

Lol! Nice description. Is there an electric saw big enough to cut like a 365 though? If I were starting out now, knowing what I do now, I'd give serious thought to a quality electric saw instead of my little ms180. It could be corded, I've a power socket on the outside of the garage wall right where I tend to do my cutting.... But I think it's still want the 365. Speaking of which I think I ought to have another go at tuning it, I know a few of you guys run them, how the **** of you tube the thing by ear!? Fairly sure it's bouncing off the limiter like crazy when piss revving, but fine in wood. Dont think it's right though, it would bog in the pine if I put a bit of weight on it which I didn't expect. Having a limited carb there's less than a turn on the screw stop to stop so I don't know how far of factory I have put it and I can't tell 4 striking apart from bouncing off the limiter. Any tips for a guy without a tachometer?
Try tuning it in the cut. The loading of the motor while cutting will keep it off the limiter. Tune for light 4-stroking in the cut then lean it out JUST ENOUGH to clean it up - no 4-stroking. Works well with a limited saw.

:(

I know. I didn't scrounge today and I probably won't tomorrow :rare2: ....
Make sure you grab that spruce. I've heard there's nothing it can't do :numberone:.

Sorry , no experience with blue Spruce , they're only an ornamental here , not native here ;)

I'd be running around in my underwear if the house was 74/5*. 68 is perfect 70 is getting a bit warm.

No pics please !
Cowboy , we need more pics , the natives are getting restless ...

Lol! Nice description. Is there an electric saw big enough to cut like a 365 though? ...

I have the Makita and a Stihl 140 , both will get the job done just fine :)

A homelite410 vice and hopefully adaptors to run Stihl bars on the echos are on my list of stimulus check purchases. Being able to run common DL counts will make life easy.
28" bars are annoying that way. 3 different common dl counts. The one I have now is Oregon's. But was planning to go Tsumara or Stihl es light 28". Might say F'em and just stick with 32" 105 dl.

I seem to recall Dolmar were doing the inline (sorry, they call it longitudinal) motor electric chainsaws when Makita bought them . . .
I wonder if anyone hires them out. Might be worth a half day hire to see how it stacks up.
The 120V version is what Home Depot rents here (along with the 2-cycle Makita saws).

Philbert

I love apple wood for the smoker!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I already have a friend that wants to grab a pickup load. I have the mulberry and cherry too for him with some oak and hickory for good measure.IMG_20200405_191932504.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_142351310_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200101_142351310_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200308_114823103_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200308_114823103_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200119_155657133.jpg
    IMG_20200119_155657133.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
One of my other hobbies when I'm not cutting wood is fishing and as a byproduct of that I've found I like tinkering with outboards. I've had a succession of johnnyrudes. This 1969 9.5 sportwin I picked up last fall and never really fooled with it. I poured a couple ounces of seafoam down the carb on the weekend and rotated the motor around to let it soak in. Today it started first pull. And after adjusting the mixture screw and idle speed, it ran pretty fair. Really looking forward to the boat ramps opening back up so I can try it on the lake.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

View attachment 820333

What site was he from and how did you pay?

Big time. I’m through with screwing around with proprietary bar mounts. Every large mount saw gets Stihl mount with an adaptor now. FYI Mike is only making Husqvarna to Stihl adaptors now. But the Husky adaptor also works for Echo/McC without mods and can accommodate Homelite/Large Poulan with a little bit of work.

After work I recruited my youngest son to help with brush pitching this evening. We have only one 200’ lot to go and only the south side of the road. Then the 3/4 mile road will be done. I think I’ve got close to 6 hours on the polesaw into this project so far.

It was insanely windy today. Many areas registered over 40 mph winds. Surprisingly no trees were down and we still have power.

Little buddy pitching brush. Winter jacket and crocs. Lol.
A358D1D2-151D-4F8C-B657-B8D4110A166E.jpeg

I broke through the ice in the ditch not once but twice into mid calf deep water. Oh well.
3E8D072D-14FB-4D49-B567-71E5ED511BC7.jpeg

The lake opened up a lot today.
211F1A0B-D0CD-4B57-845B-11E246DD2E3E.jpeg27B26637-9758-421D-8730-9C2B6F492375.jpeg

A remote toast to my grandpa who turned 88 today.
AECD2707-7B6E-473F-AA5B-BC985458E71A.jpeg

Big time. I’m through with screwing around with proprietary bar mounts. Every large mount saw gets Stihl mount with an adaptor now. FYI Mike is only making Husqvarna to Stihl adaptors now. But the Husky adaptor also works for Echo/McC without mods and can accommodate Homelite/Large Poulan with a little bit of work.
20200411_222154.jpg
I really just want to upgrade my chain vice :nofunny:. 3 files to do one chain. Probably have 4 or 5 hours into that chain and it's not even square.

Latest posts

Back