Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve carefully limped some pretty bad bearings into the shop but for people to drive till it stops is bad news.
I've limped some real bad issues back to the house or just off the rd when the house was too far :crazy2: , it's good to have towing:yes:.
Seen bearings that lasted over 100k that were howling, then I've had them make no noise at all and then just lock up, that one was bad!
Mechanical failure results in less than 1% of all accidents, when I worked at the shop it was amazing what people drove in on, and even more amazing what they left on :surprised3:. We would write on the invoice that the vehicle was not safe to drive!
Neat tidbit, sometimes when an antilock light comes on it's actually caused by a bad reading on a sensor caused by a wheel bearing that's bad. That bearing should be replaced pronto!

If a cop was actually concerned with safety, then they wouldn't write me a ticket, but would rather shut me down. I hated getting a full DOT inspection in the semi and getting a ticket, then they send you on the way and say, be safe :nofunny:. I'd tell them flat out you're a hypocrite right to their face and explain why, they shake their head and walk away. If it's a safety issue such as brakes/tires/logbook hrs over, then shut the guy down until it's fixed, problems will go away quick, otherwise they'll take a chance and roll with it knowing they may just get a ticket.
If the laws were just enforced we wouldn't need more, as it is most cops have no idea what the laws are. That's not necessarily an insult as most selling saws for a living have not a clue about them either, I feel like I have a lot to learn and I've had many(tickets and saws:laughing:).

More free wood courtesy of Ma Nature. Gusts to around 50 mpg today. Saw traffic going slow in front of the shop and found this dead ash on the road. Took the tractor and pulled it up on the other side to cut up. Some guy stopped and helped get the small limbs off the road. Had the wife stopping traffic for us.
20210326_122142.jpg

My fridge and I are well acquainted. Noticed today the grates in my maple boiler got hot and warped. Now I need to use the maple boiler as a side fire box for a smoker, old firebox rotted out.
View attachment 897124

Well, I heat the cabin with a 55 gal drum woodstove, and we cook outside over grill grates that look exactly the same (but not as warped). Have 4 of them, from an old wood/charcoal burning stove that belonged to my first FIL. They are between the angle iron pieces over the fire!

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_085118113.jpg
    IMG_20200902_085118113.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200831_170516113_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200831_170516113_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 27
I would love to hunt wild mushrooms but the fear of eating a bad one stops me. I looked around last year and there was a club that used to go out and teach what mushrooms were good but no luck finding them now.
I would only eat morels if I found them. The rest look too similar from one to the other.

I was on a facebook page for mushroom hunting. Posted a picture of a mushroom growing in my yard and some guy posts thats a "xyz" family. I asked if it was edible and nobody answered. Googled it and that family has both edible and poisionous types. Thanks for the help LOL.

A neighbor complained that ‘all the steel barrels’ are ‘too thin’ now to make a good stove.

Are there certain kinds of barrels that are still good/ heavy gauge?

Thanks.

Philbert
Find an old guy that is cleaning out his garage.

I have two 55's and one smaller one (maybe 35 gallon) saved in case I ever want one. Also good for storing fuel and I do have a NOS hand crank barrel pump I can use to get it out.

Well, I heat the cabin with a 55 gal drum woodstove, and we cook outside over grill grates that look exactly the same (but not as warped). Have 4 of them, from an old wood/charcoal burning stove that belonged to my first FIL. They are between the angle iron pieces over the fire!
When's tax season over for the GTG?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I've limped some real bad issues back to the house or just off the rd when the house was too far :crazy2: , it's good to have towing:yes:.
Seen bearings that lasted over 100k that were howling, then I've had them make no noise at all and then just lock up, that one was bad!
Mechanical failure results in less than 1% of all accidents, when I worked at the shop it was amazing what people drove in on, and even more amazing what they left on :surprised3:. We would write on the invoice that the vehicle was not safe to drive!
Neat tidbit, sometimes when an antilock light comes on it's actually caused by a bad reading on a sensor caused by a wheel bearing that's bad. That bearing should be replaced pronto!

If a cop was actually concerned with safety, then they wouldn't write me a ticket, but would rather shut me down. I hated getting a full DOT inspection in the semi and getting a ticket, then they send you on the way and say, be safe :nofunny:. I'd tell them flat out you're a hypocrite right to their face and explain why, they shake their head and walk away. If it's a safety issue such as brakes/tires/logbook hrs over, then shut the guy down until it's fixed, problems will go away quick, otherwise they'll take a chance and roll with it knowing they may just get a ticket.
If the laws were just enforced we wouldn't need more, as it is most cops have no idea what the laws are. That's not necessarily an insult as most selling saws for a living have not a clue about them either, I feel like I have a lot to learn and I've had many(tickets and saws:laughing:).
Have the people out there: "I thought it was ok to drive like that" :laughing:

Doing some online shopping. I have three Sugi bars in my online "cart". Just sitting here thinking I could buy a decent saw for what I am about to spend on these bars. Hmmm.
You don't need no stinkin' Sugi Japan steel bars!
The Stihl ES bars bend back to straightness with a
touch of Map gas!
a28bc32fb92da3d09d0741a403e17bcf.jpg
f08d746aa2f5e8296ec621de9050e711.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I heard a bunch of noise earlier across the rd, neighbor had a buddy drop off a fairly large excavator. I was thinking what does he need that for, the only thing I could think of was to push trees down. Just started hearing a bunch of crashing and crunching, locust is loud when breaking. Wondering if he's gonna offer it to me, he doesn't have anyplace to burn it.
I have a few locust to drop at the next dr neighbors too, most likely tomorrow. He brought a chain over with a bunch of drive links that were damaged. I cleaned it up so it will fit in the bar now, but he had a a good number of drivers that looked bad. I told him after he's done with the two chains he has he needs to replace the sprocket and buy a couple more.

I'm done for now.
20210326_162337.jpg20210326_164847.jpg20210326_162347.jpg

Back