Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning gents, had plans to start tearing shingles after work today, but have a high wind advisory, don't really want to be up on the roof and get blown off lol. Pretty gusty out right now, and supposedly the wind is to get worse as the day progresses. Guy I work with said he has 3 oaks that are coming down, and I'm welcome to the wood. Gonna hook up with him before works is over and see if I can follow him home and check them out. Then go home, get the dump trailer and kids, and go get some top soil for the wife's flower beds. Get that unloaded and get it in position to fill full of shingles. Been so busy between work and outdoor stuff hardly gotten time to run a saw.
My wife decided she no longer likes where the wood shed is located, and thinks I should move it. (Que eye roll) if I'm being honest I did have plans of making it a good bit bigger and was planning on replacing to roof and poles on the one side of it. Guess it wouldn't be too much work to take the other side of the roof down and pull the poles out. Just gonna wait and see if I have time to take on a project like that this year. Her list of stuff she wants done this summer is long to say the least, and I have the one side of the shed darn near full.
That sort of thing never happens when a shed is empty lol.
Can you start building the main structure in the new location and then use pieces of the old one as you go. Maybe the wood that's in it could stay for this season and you could start filling the new one.

That sort of thing never happens when a shed is empty lol.
Can you start building the main structure in the new location and then use pieces of the old one as you go. Maybe the wood that's in it could stay for this season and you could start filling the new one.
Yeah I thought about that, I'd have to place 2 poles and a cross piece to support the peak of the roof, which could/would be used over. Not a bad idea at all.

Yeah I thought about that, I'd have to place 2 poles and a cross piece to support the peak of the roof, which could/would be used over. Not a bad idea at all.
Make sure you have gas for that generator with our 60 mph winds today. We lost power yesterday for about an hour and a half.

Getting closer to done on the steep bank job, just a few branches to cut on the right side and one taller but thin red oak to dismantle. I have a buddy who will be doing the climbing/rigging on the red oak, I would need a second guy and he's a climber, works for me, and he said the cash works for him :).
There's a small pile of logs on the side of the house that I pulled up from the right side and de-limbed, then there's the logs on the hill if anyone wants them, must take them all and the brush, have insurance, and sign a wavier :laughing:. Oh there is some HVBW branches that will be included :surprised3:.
Customer decided they wanted this one out, I was hoping they would leave it; they would rather clear cut the whole view, which I get, but.
The pile I'm laying on in the next pic is just below the fork of the log in this pic. All the brush from this side of the hill is in a hole ("the cave" as they call it), only level place on the hill. It's about 8' to the ground where my head is.
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.06.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.05.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.04.24 AM.png

I plan on moving my shed(not woodshed) yet this summer when I get some spare time. I have poles cut to length laying near it and I bought one of those cheap chainsaw lumber mills that rides on a 2x4 so I can mill one side flat as I plan on leaving them under the shed after I move it to raise it up off the dirt a bit. I'll be removing the front porch and supporting the overhang, the porch is easy to remove, but for the overhang I would need to remove the roofing starting at the peak and all the way down, cut the ice and water shield and then cut all the screws holding the porch rafters and maybe remove all the board off the rafters :oops:. When I built it I though I could sell it if I built my. pole barn or I could move it to property as a cabin/cottage if we ever bought property, and I would just remove the metal roof and sawzall the whole porch off, moving it 15' to backfill and then back was never part of the plan lol.
Oh, almost forgot, I have to cut the cherry tree growing thru the porch roof before moving it, guess I should empty it too.
The projects never end!

Make sure you have gas for that generator with our 60 mph winds today. We lost power yesterday for about an hour and a half.
Yep got 10 gallons at the house in stand by mode. I wouldn't be surprised if the power is out when I get home. Just something that happens around my place.

Made good progress on the small locust scrounge yesterday. Good size leaner over a batch of dead branches. 2 hours spent just chopping up all the down stuff and piling before I even touched the leaner. Farmer wanted the botton 8' left so I cut it there, fell right next to the pile. Anoher hour clearing that brush and bucking up the log.

Not so good this morning. Returned with the truck to pickup the small load only to find the guy had torched the brushpile, which went up like a bomb. Not surprising considering everything on the pile was long dead and dry black locust from twigs up to 2" poles Fire managed to burn about half of the rounds. Then couldn't get the truck turned around on that steep slop; multiple tries doing a J turn backing up the slope to no avail - spun out every time before getting far enough up to complete the turn. In that process I managed to back into a gtree and broke back half of the passenger lside OSB rack. I had just fixed that 3 days ago from breaking it the same way.. I get to fix it all over again tomorrow.

It does feel good to be out with the saws again but I'm overdoing it. 5 days in a row about 3 hours/day

I've been burning some softwood in the early part of the season - could be Douglass cypress according to @LondonNeil - and the bark is full of resin. It goes up a treat and I've been using the bark to get the fire going but it belches black smoke out the flue when it's burning. I figure that's probably not good but then after burning the wood with full air it probably evens out. At least, the house hasn't burned down yet.

Once we're burning seasoned eucalypt it'll clean out the flue like it always does.

Mornin.

The state fire Marshall deemed it too try to burn brush piles so last night I couldn’t torch the last pile of this balsam ****. We did have a “camp” fire (fires under 3’ diameter allowed) and torched a bunch of small branches as well as the stumps pieces I flushed off last weekend. Was kind of funny that we couldn’t burn yet it rained one day this week plus it was lightly sprinkling on us as we sat at the fire. Oh well, it’s nice to almost have this project whipped. There’s a couple tree tops I still need to cut into sections and I saved that for today as my ornery neighbor is up and I try to avoid doing anything when he’s around.

Been a little lazy about unloading the trailer with other things going on. Did a little noodling today for some maple and poplar boards (and noodles for the chickens), then one WBL to burn possibly later in the week when the roller coaster temperatures dip again, and a few more to replenish the stacks.
20210501_184518.jpg
20210501_161017.jpg
20210501_161236.jpg
20210501_164932.jpg
20210501_165920.jpg
20210501_184539.jpg

Back