Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else not getting alerts to this thread?
I haven't since page 3523.
I was thinking man, last post I got said it had been 12hrs since there was a post, and no-one has posted a response :oops:. So I looked at my watched threads and there it was:badpc:.
This is the log I took to a GTG afew years ago. I think I hauled the saw there too for another guy.
View attachment 966406
Which weighed more :laugh:.
Both look like they weigh a ton.

Now my brain is going. Some research on beech trees in hanover PA shows that there where beech trees planted around the mansions in town. Most where planted around 1910 to 1912. Beech has about 100 year life span. Yep more research. That log is in the back lot to one of the mansions. I might go knock on the door and see if they can tell me what it is.
Damn ADD one minute theres 100 things going on in my mind, the next it's like target lock and I'll dig for info on a specific thing.

My 620p handles a 28” Stihl bar with an adapter no problem. Modified carb and muffler. I’m sure a 7310 would have no issues running a bar that long. Only photo I have at the moment noodling up some hard ashView attachment 966191
Echo says the 620P can take up to a 27" bar so it shouldn't have a problem with a 28" assuming the oil passages are unimpeded. I like Echo's apparent honesty about bar lengths for that 59.8 cc saw. Other makers stop at 20" bars for similar sized saws that isn't based on anything logical I can see.

Echo says the 620P can take up to a 27" bar so it shouldn't have a problem with a 28" assuming the oil passages are unimpeded. I like Echo's apparent honesty about bar lengths for that 59.8 cc saw. Other makers stop at 20" bars for similar sized saws that isn't based on anything logical I can see.
Echo saws are built like tanks. The 600 series saws weigh as much as some of the 70cc class saws. Running a 24 on my ported 590 beside a 24 on the 7910 dolmar I had the dolmar still edges it out in the same wood. Go to a 28 and a stock 620 vs the stock dolmar and it wouldn't be close.
Sure a 620 will run and oil a 28 but it doesn't have the power to be efficient with a bar that big.
I'm an Echo guy so this isn't trashing the 620 it's just being honest.

Last weekend, I went on my annual ice fishing trip with two friends & a family member.
Pic #1 is opening night. Everybody shows up & starts pulling booze out of their bags. Interestingly enough, the Very Old Barton 100 proof was picked most often through the weekend because it was a nice mixer with some sprite or sour mix.
Pic #2 was Livin' the High Life out on the ice
Pic #3 is our last day on the ice. Fish to take home. I caught the slab bigger than the paper plate.
Pic #4 was the dinner we caught the day before. (Sorry - pics got inserted a bit out of chronological order)

Attachments

• IMG_20220209_183811.jpg
    IMG_20220209_183811.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220210_133131.jpg
    IMG_20220210_133131.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220212_210425.jpg
    IMG_20220212_210425.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220210_200456.jpg
    IMG_20220210_200456.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
Now my brain is going. Some research on beech trees in hanover PA shows that there where beech trees planted around the mansions in town. Most where planted around 1910 to 1912. Beech has about 100 year life span. Yep more research. That log is in the back lot to one of the mansions. I might go knock on the door and see if they can tell me what it is.
Damn ADD one minute theres 100 things going on in my mind, the next it's like target lock and I'll dig for info on a specific thing.
That tree is one big sonofabeech 🤣 no matter how you slice it

Last weekend, I went on my annual ice fishing trip with two friends & a family member.
Pic #1 is opening night. Everybody shows up & starts pulling booze out of their bags. Interestingly enough, the Very Old Barton 100 proof was picked most often through the weekend because it was a nice mixer with some sprite or sour mix.
Pic #2 was Livin' the High Life out on the ice
Pic #3 is our last day on the ice. Fish to take home. I caught the slab bigger than the paper plate.
Pic #4 was the dinner we caught the day before. (Sorry - pics got inserted a bit out of chronological order)
Those crappies looked pretty fat

No scrounge yesterday but did finish stacking next years wood. Will cover it up before the next rains. Did it in block of 5 rics each this time. I can cover that with a 10x10 tarp. Left a space the did another 5 rics. I used a 12x 40 tarp last year and it gets to be a hassle to wrestle that big thing. Kinda nice too for being able to get to a certain species of wood if I want to. Nothing worse than an early cold snap when all your hickory is buried in the back of the pile.

Nice catch wetbehindtheear! Looks like a Wisconsin ice fishing trip. I see you guys had just enough booze for 4 people 🤣. Love the Basil Hayden myself.
Yep! It was in N. WI and we put a pretty good dent in the volume of the booze.
The Basil Hayden's was for sure a sipping/sampling as was the Yamazake, Eagle Rare, & Glenn Fargo. The VOB, Dickel, & Hatch were more amenable to mixing cocktails.
Bloody marys out on the ice & philly-cheese venison brats were outstanding for lunch. I wish I had the freedom to do that kind of a trip more than once per year. But it burns a lot of "marital capital" and I DID miss the kids after two days.

My wife and I are supposed to be in Dominican Republic right now, certainly not cutting fire wood....
Our best friends that we were going with ended up with The Virus this week, so we rescheduled and are home.

So instead, I drove out to a back road line cut in the next town over that I noticed earlier this week. Can't believe all this wood is still there. It's pretty much stacked and was a nice, relaxing score. There are also about five more piles, ready to go. Was able to grab a couple of loads today and it was also nice that my son was around to hump the rounds into the bucket.

IMG_7990.JPG
IMG_7992.JPG

View attachment 966482Getting in a little late. Scrounged ash, one of the trees in that truck load tried to kill me on the way down. Cut through the hinge on one side, allowed the tree to spin nearly 180* and land right where I was standing to make my back. Terrifying experience but lesson learned.
Glad your OK James.

Out of curiosity, what was the outcome with your trans in the 7.3? Who built it?

Back