Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol oh no he expected all that for free and called me a cheapskate for not taking him up on the “generous” offer!!
That's like when I've offered to do brakes on a friends car to help them out and I tell them 200 for rotors and pads all the way around, then they look at me like I'm ripping them off, I just say "yah, you could probably get it done cheaper at a shop and have a yr warranty on the labor :innocent:. They usually contact me shortly after their first visit to a shop:laughing:. What's funny is after all my time rounding up their parts and supplies for 200 using good quality parts and not china made ones and doing the actual job, I may have made $5 an hr on most the ones I quoted helping friends.
If they look at me like I'm overcharging them, I won't do the job, if any little thing goes wrong they will get upset I've learned; but if they get that I'm saving them hundreds of dollars then they are more understanding when something extra comes up or theres a problem that adds a bit of time.

Well, a thing happened...
wEvOu2h.jpg

Also, I'm getting into the HVBW I cut up a couple years ago.
8lFgMSU.jpg

I hope y'all are doing well.
Wow, I've never seen one of those have the bar nuts break off like that :laugh:.
Congrats man, now I'll need to bring a few logs over when I swing by :p.
That walnut looks ready to burn :blob2:.

Added some bone dry locust and ash to next years pile this weekend. The locust had been there for years I’d say, the bark was gone and it was light.
325d3b383357ae02014139785de2896f.jpg

Also took the little 170 and added a side tensioner from a 250, as well as dropped the bar length to 14” and went up on the gage to .050”
It should make a nice little limb and small bucking saw for my 13 year old son. I’ll take all the help I can get, if you know what I mean.
899044f8ea42fe50736f5a445e8a003c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks beautiful up there on that ridge.
Is that picco chain on the 170.

Ot a message about a free tree that a tree service cut down and left the big part of. I arrived the next day happy to see they had done all the hard work. Nice load of hard maple towards next season.
My helper Herbie doing his job. Security
20220221_103459.jpg

Attachments

• 20220221_123121.jpg
    20220221_123121.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220221_103535.jpg
    20220221_103535.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220221_123112.jpg
    20220221_123112.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220221_103531.jpg
    20220221_103531.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220221_121737.jpg
    20220221_121737.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220221_121529.jpg
    20220221_121529.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220221_121521.jpg
    20220221_121521.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
You balance a whole row of firewood on the what 8" width of a RR tie? I had a narrow base once and the stack didn't stand long.
That was the plan. I'll look into this further.
Looks good James.
Did you get a new splitter :chop:
Also it looks like you ned to get after that firewood thats vertical behind/ on the corner of the one stack, or is that part of your vertical wood stack(I have a bunch of those myself).
That's a BL, we talked about what to do with it today. It holds up the end of the back racks.

That's a BL, we talked about what to do with it today. It holds up the end of the back racks.
:sweet:
Cut it off just above the stack.
Not much better than a dead standing black locust for :blob2::happy:.
Dropped a few last Saturday for a buddy.

Filled his truck a couple times, the second load he was sagging a bit, his truck has a lift on it lol.
When he left with the first load I filed the chain on his saw, it literally just bounced off the tree I tried to cut with it, locust when dead standing is very hard :yes:.
Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.28.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.28.35 PM.png

Filled his truck a couple times, the second load he was sagging a bit, his truck has a lift on it lol.
When he left with the first load I filed the chain on his saw, it literally just bounced off the tree I tried to cut with it, locust when dead standing is very hard :yes:.
View attachment 967098View attachment 967099

Black Locust!!!

Cream of the crop around here eh brett. As well as standing dead ash. That is my #1 favorite.

And don’t forget oak. White oak !

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Black Locust!!!

Cream of the crop around here eh brett. As well as standing dead ash. That is my #1 favorite.

And don’t forget oak. White oak !

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻
That white oak is nice if standing dead, but man is it heavy.
I have an oak that's been down a while now out back, I should get back there and get it, but it's mostly off the ground and I have other wood that's more pressing. I'll be taking down like 5 more cherry, a few more BL, and a big elm in front of the barn. That and get the logs either moved or bucked up so the oak will wait along with all the other BL in the neighbors woods.
Oh yeah, and the good size BL branch on the ground I see in the video, and another just past the accessory drive by the snow/dirt pile lol.

View attachment 967098View attachment 967099

I like that truck ;)

I have an oak that's been down a while now out back, I should get back there and get it, but it's mostly off the ground and I have other wood that's more pressing. I'll be taking down like 5 more cherry, a few more BL, and a big elm in front of the barn. That and get the logs either moved or bucked up so the oak will wait along with all the other BL in the neighbors woods.
Oh yeah, and the good size BL branch on the ground I see in the video, and another just past the accessory drive by the snow/dirt pile lol.

I want to find a couple white oaks around me to mill. My favorite piece of furniture is a bench my Great Uncle made from a white oak log. He originally made it for my other GU (his brother-in-law), but gave it to me after he saw how much I loved it. I'd like to make a matching bench like that, then maybe a kitchen table for the misses. I'm torn between white oak and black walnut for her table.

Now to learn about milling with an Alaskan mill. Pretty excited about the venture. Hopefully this all works out.

Oh, and @chipper, the bar studs are fine. LMBO!

Kt1LlQN.jpg

I want to find a couple white oaks around me to mill. My favorite piece of furniture is a bench my Great Uncle made from a white oak log. He originally made it for my other GU (his brother-in-law), but gave it to me after he saw how much I loved it. I'd like to make a matching bench like that, then maybe a kitchen table for the misses. I'm torn between white oak and black walnut for her table.

Now to learn about milling with an Alaskan mill. Pretty excited about the venture. Hopefully this all works out.

Kt1LlQN.jpg
I bet you like that truck :).
Man look at that blade :surprised3:. I figured you were going to snag it up :yes:. When we were chatting my buddy was here, I said, he's gonna buy it lol.
Don't have any milling experience, except dropping logs off and then standing there watching them being milled on a BSM by @Sawyer Rob and buying milled white oak from a good sized mill about 20 mins away. The red oak in the back I may cut a few slabs out of, it would e cool if I could use some for the island in the kitchen.
Looks like you broke the studs off that ole ford too :laugh:.
And what's up with the all seeing eye :oops:.

I bet you like that truck :).
Man look at that blade :surprised3:. I figured you were going to snag it up :yes:. When we were chatting my buddy was here, I said, he's gonna buy it lol.
Don't have any milling experience, except dropping logs off and then standing there watching them being milled on a BSM by @Sawyer Rob and buying milled white oak from a good sized mill about 20 mins away. The red oak in the back I may cut a few slabs out of, it would e cool if I could use some for the island in the kitchen.
Looks like you broke the studs off that ole ford too :laugh:.
And what's up with the all seeing eye :oops:.
Ha, that's my full size spare for the F tree fiddy. Had to take it out of the bed to haul hay.

You talking about the eyes on that tree? Previous owner put them there, LOL. That tree is coming down soon.

Looks good James.
Did you get a new splitter :chop:
Also it looks like you ned to get after that firewood thats vertical behind/ on the corner of the one stack, or is that part of your vertical wood stack(I have a bunch of those myself).
My brother found that splitter on one of his trash routes at work. 20 ton husky just needed a motor. I put a predator on it and it works like a charm.

Chipper, I have to complement you on your sensationally rich looking chocolate soil.
Can I have some for my vegetable patch👍

Kt1LlQN.jpg
Nice saw! BTW your bar is upside down. :lol:

Chipper, I have to complement you on your sensationally rich looking chocolate soil.
Can I have some for my vegetable patch👍
Sure you can, how much you want me to package up :p.
It's just the topsoil that looks that way, once you get down a few inches it's all gravel.
It does drain nice though, except for days like today where the soil/water in it are frozen and it's raining. I have a stream that runs from my neighbors driveway thru the front yard around the side of the house, past the woodshed and chicken coop and then off the accessory drive at the shed. We are supposed to get thunderstorms yet this morning, its the middle of winder for us lol.

Back