Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a three sided enclosure that I put green firewood in. Seemed to take forever to season. Of course, it was tucked under some overhanging branches and did not get any breeze through it. I now stack my green out in the open, top covered with a tarp, where it can get plenty of sun and wind.
If a fella has the spot to do it a long row north to south top covered is the best. Baked by the sun in the morning baked by the sun on the other side in the afternoon. Not done it myself but I certainly see where it would be great. Full ventilation, full sun. I hear you can take green wood to burnable in around 8 months stacked like that.

Still retrieving more of the oak that took out my power last week. These are two of the bigger branches. I'm not at all sure I can pull any of the trunk sections up this hill:

I see transmission repairs in your future. I plan on doing this type of stuff too, but using my loader to pull with.

Evening chipper!
Good evening Bob :).
Was thinking about the chicken stories lol.
Brought them a nice round and split it in front of them, it took them a while as they seemed a bit timid with me having the axe in hand lol.
One they figured out that the frozen black ants were all over the ground it was like a bunch of sharks devouring a seal 😮.

20220226_155434.jpg

Got a little more wood split today than that round too. It was so nice working out in the sun, even though the wind was blowing pretty good. Had my bibs on and a hoodie, works for me :).

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 9.30.05 PM.png

That's pretty awesome.
Do you know what axle it has.
The transmission is the Tuff Torq K92, pumping full time 4wd with independent front wheel motors, and in my tractor it whines. Here is a snow plowing video from about 12 years ago, pushing snow and making noise.

If a fella has the spot to do it a long row north to south top covered is the best. Baked by the sun in the morning baked by the sun on the other side in the afternoon. Not done it myself but I certainly see where it would be great. Full ventilation, full sun. I hear you can take green wood to burnable in around 8 months stacked like that.
20220221_163921.jpg
That's how we do it. The middle rack in the back and the two short racks on the right are hickory and oak cut and split in January. If someone remembers I'll test a few pieces in October and see where there at. I won't burn that stuff till winter 23/24 either way.

I had to squeeze the piston seal back in to get the cylinder back together. It got stretched during installation, and was sticking out enough that it would hang up and wouldn't go in any further.

View attachment 968659

I can't tell, is that packing Nut round or does it have a hex shape like an actual nut?

Hey, plowing the driveway for some neighbors pays off ... just got a nice bottle of Red Wine!

He always does 2 of the driveways - his and his Mom's, but said I saved him a trip to the chiropractor this time! There was a tough ice crust on the top!

I snowblowed mine the other night and ran over and did the neighbor's after that. Pretty sure it's time to tap trees, so hopefully I'll see a bottle of syrup in return.

View attachment 968666
That's how we do it. The middle rack in the back and the two short racks on the right are hickory and oak cut and split in January. If someone remembers I'll test a few pieces in October and see where there at. I won't burn that stuff till winter 23/24 either way.
Would sure be interesting to know!

My "scrounge" of the day (year!)

View attachment 968283View attachment 968284
View attachment 968286
A close friends nephew owns a tree trimming business. Apparently, he runs ALOT of perfectly good firewood through the chipper just to get rid of it. I think I have a new honey hole 😎
It means a drive into the city, 40 miles each way, a small inconvenience for the return. He is so eager to give it away he happily loaded me with a smile 😃
I took my dump trailer my buddy brought his utility and we filled em up. I got some work to do now.
We hated wood. Our truck/equipment/wood lot was 5 acres. We didn't have room to store it. What little we did bring home, Dad would have the guys split on rainy days. He guaranteed them half a days pay for bad weather days. But, you had to show up, and if it was clear enough to put in two hours on the pile, you got paid. As a company we lost money on wood, but you had to get rid of it. We had people on file most everywhere we worked to dump. We had one farmers Market that was on the way home. He gave us $50 a load and had a paved pad we could back and dump, in and out in 5 minutes. That was in the 70's-to mid 80's. Our chipper truck was an F600 with a 12' bed with 6' high sides. It would take 3 cords, but we seldom put that much on it. The Market took everything we had.

I don’t really understand how these forums work but I found a post besmirching Australian arborists and thought I might be able to offer some inside information on how bad we really are.
Welcome. I think one of our stalwarts is from Perth. BobL. I was visiting Arbtalk in the UK. They had a whole forum called something like, " Clueless Americans". I got kind of pizzed with them bashing us, so I posted, "Next time you need some one to give a couple mullion of their young boys to cover your back, call the Chinese." Next time I logged on, that particular forum was blocked to anyone that didn't live in the UK. Funny thing is, all the guys there treated me like family, still do. The USA bashing seemed like "Local Legend" gone wild. Some one would say something, and it would grow and grow. Sure hope you don't find that here. Now, this particular forum is the most open forum here. We joke, don't take life overly serious, and have fun. We do crack on each other from time to time. I always say, if I can't laugh at myself, I can't laugh at you. So, if I do something that makes you laugh, feel free to call me on it. Another one of my beliefs is if I make one person laugh today, it was a day well lived. Even if I have to do something stupid to make them laugh.

Latest posts

Back