Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 974560Not how I expected to be breaking in the new saw but it had to get done.
View attachment 974562Dropped and cut up one of the popular trees @chipper1 mentioned in the first pics of the pine on the garage.View attachment 974561Then finished the day with some mulberry.
About 3/4 of a tank. Saws seems happy with the 18" .325 setup.
Those sound like great saws, especially for the price!
Started cutting up some spruce and fir logs at moms today from a lot clearing job couple years ago. Almost waited too long, just starting to rot01A4001E-C384-438B-BD4B-F9CCF7018198.jpeg

Those sound like great saws, especially for the price!
Started cutting up some spruce and fir logs at moms today from a lot clearing job couple years ago. Almost waited too long, just starting to rotView attachment 974573
I was out the door for $380. 4910 is just a 490 with a 501 top end as far as I can tell. Seems very american to me... put the hottest motor in the lightest shitbox they make and tell the consumer go have fun.

I'm too old and wore down to use a wheelbarrow like you guys do, so here's my wheelbarrow and splitter. lol

Resized-20220316-134743-S.jpg

It's still slow going for me these days...

SR
Still moving and above,to me that's a good day!

Thanks, I'm boiling another batch tonight so I thought of your post. I boiled mine until it hit 219°. I was wondering, is there a way to tell when sap has gone "buddy"? Everything I read says to boil a test batch.
This maple syrup making is addictive. I think I will triple the number of taps from 5 to 15 next year.
Thanks!
The buds on the maple start swelling, you can taste "buddy" the syrup. Once the moths start showing up in the buckets, sap is yellow or ice on the pond is gone, the season is about done. Can still make "road tar", some folks like it very dark. . . All in the eyes of beholder.

I'm too old and wore down to use a wheelbarrow like you guys do, so here's my wheelbarrow and splitter. lol

Resized-20220316-134743-S.jpg

It's still slow going for me these days...

SR
Look at it this way sir! You’re saving energy for more important things!!

View attachment 974509
Scored a pair of these for $16.25 each on Amazon.
When I bought my 365 I bought a couple of the effect same chain. They cost a bit more then that, but much less then Stihl so I was happy.... Until ....a few months later my local dealer has an offer on TV the husqvarna equivalent at about 1/2 that price. 🤬🤬. I bought 3 more even though I only run the big saw a couple of times a year!

View attachment 974509
Scored a pair of these for $16.25 each on Amazon.
Have you ran those before, great chain, very hard like the stihl chains. They cut just as fast as the stihl rs, and are much smoother. Getting them filed as they come out of the box is a bit of a trick though, but filing them as you normally would they still cut great.

When I bought my 365 I bought a couple of the effect same chain. They cost a bit more then that, but much less then Stihl so I was happy.... Until ....a few months later my local dealer has an offer on TV the husqvarna equivalent at about 1/2 that price.
🤬
🤬
. I bought 3 more even though I only run the big saw a couple of times a year!
Those will last you a long time if you only use that saw occasionally, and it's nice to have extras :clap:.
Hope none of you actually get sick, and that it was just "testing positive".

View attachment 974560Not how I expected to be breaking in the new saw but it had to get done.
View attachment 974562Dropped and cut up one of the popular trees @chipper1 mentioned in the first pics of the pine on the garage.View attachment 974561Then finished the day with some mulberry.
About 3/4 of a tank. Saws seems happy with the 18" .325 setup.
Congrats on the new saw.
Why did you get another?
18 is all I'd want on it with a muffler mod, nice saws for the price point.
That's cool he let you go for it on the poplar :). I bet he's glad it's taken care of.
That mulberry looks pretty organized lol.

Congrats on the new saw.
Why did you get another?
18 is all I'd want on it with a muffler mod, nice saws for the price point.
That's cool he let you go for it on the poplar :). I bet he's glad it's taken care of.
That mulberry looks pretty organized lol.
More power same light weight saw. 490 might go to my brother.
@James Miller I'm curious...if you had a 490 why the 4910? I think the 4910 will be my next one if I can find a good price on one. I'm ready to give up on my Stihl MS-250.
Cause the 501 is $100 more and only difference I can see is the metal handle.

@James Miller I'm curious...if you had a 490 why the 4910? I think the 4910 will be my next one if I can find a good price on one. I'm ready to give up on my Stihl MS-250.
What's wrong with the 250?
Not that I'm stihls #1 fan by any means, but they will cut wood just fine if the chain is tuned to the saw.

Nice!! I needed a fix hr!!! When you stop burning for the year you are gonna have to do re runs or we may not make it through the summer!! Lol
What's stopping burning have to do with making more firewood? Old proverb: "After a victory, sharpen your knife." LOL. I still have a LOT of logs in my font yard so I'll be going all spring and well into the summer I'm sure. And when that starts to dwindle down I'll go make some more new best friends to supply firewood. I've gotten several good scores by being the ant while everyone else is being the grasshopper during the heat of the summer. I much prefer cooler temperatures, but sometimes you have to take advantage of opportunities presented to you.

My buddy who inspired me to build my OWB is talking of an exit strategy for wood burning. I'm not. Can't see a time when I won't be doing firewood.

Latest posts

Back