Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to the arborist who's log yard I cut on. He had a pile of splits and rounds that got weathered for a year and he's moving his splitting to a new area. He said he was going to push the pile onto his burn pile and start out fresh at the new spot. I told him it was solid wood and he could still sell it. He said he didn't want it and offered it to me. Didn't have to ask me twice. I decided to split it with his elderly neighbor. Let him have the split wood and I'll take the rounds. Got first load yesterday:
View attachment 1044856
Solid Red Oak, Ash and Cherry. My share will be 2-3 more loads without starting a saw.
Nice scrounge! nice scrounge indeed? 👍

Oh, whoops, forgot this one :nofunny:
View attachment 1044918
Don't worry though, I got a full 392 miles out of this tank. Keeping my carbon footprint small ;).
With dsl being $1.60 a gallon more than gas here that V10 is probably cheaper to drive, lol.

With dsl being $1.60 a gallon more than gas here that V10 is probably cheaper to drive, lol.
The way I've always looked at it is that the gas is cheaper up front, but it's pay to play and then throw it away; but the diesel is more up front, but you get more for them when you sell them. 6 to one half dozen to another. If I towed heavy all the time or was in big hills like you, I'd want the diesel even though the fuel is expensive right now. I had a 99 f350 crew cab diesel back the last time fuel was real expensive, we won't talk about who was in office then...

Someone recently mentioned the price of steel lately. He was building a crane system out of 2x2 pipe.
I need some square pipe to to make a hitch for my winch that can be mounted to either my trailer or truck with a standard hitch setup. I called my local steel supplier and he wanted $20/ft of the special 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square pipe (seamless?) that will accept 2"x2" square pipe.

Bought the 18" receiver from HF for $20. I can make two with it. I found I had 2" sq galvanized steel fence posts which fits.

The point is, is it easy to weld galvanized steel?
I've welding galvanized steel before. First I preped all the seams and ends to be welded. I ground the galvanization off all pre welds with a corse pattle wheel on a 4" grinder down to steel. Leaving a 1/2" - 1" buffer around all spots to be welded. Like Nate said. "the fumes from welding galvanized are pretty toxic". I would set up a fan. Blowing through my work Space. 👍

I always keep a spare scrench under my hood cuz you never know when you might get the urge to scrape the crusties off the ol' battery terminals.
You talking to Mike :laughing: .
I saw that, it's a newer battery, I was a bit surprised. I actually thought about retaking the pic, as I knew someone would notice just as I would have; then I thought screw it, I'm just gonna let it fly 🤣.

Yes! clean it well and use a forced air helmet if you have one, as others have said use a fan to keep the fumes away from you and as an additional piece of protection drink whole milk, helps remove the toxic zinc from the body................................................................................................

Paid 2.93 for regular e gas the other day . Cheapest I saw diesel at was 4.79 .

6 weeks I’ll be tapping the maple trees . Spring isn’t to far away that’s what I keep telling myself.
I saw diesel for 3.99 today, I haven't been watching too close. Thought I'd better get my cans/tractors filled, but I think everything is full.

You talking to Mike :laughing: .
I saw that, it's a newer battery, I was a bit surprised. I actually thought about retaking the pic, as I knew someone would notice just as I would have; then I thought screw it, I'm just gonna let it fly 🤣.
I'm sure you're all over it ;) . How were things in the big city today? 94 west was backed up and moving at about 2mph from the 294 split all the way out to Gary yesterday evening.

I'm sure you're all over it ;) . How were things in the big city today? 94 west was backed up and moving at about 2mph from the 294 split all the way out to Gary yesterday evening.
Yeah, I'm on it 😆.
Bummer, it's always something...
I was back in MI by 9:45, at my second pickup by 10:15, then sat there until like 3:30. My stop there is before the turn off for navy pier on the south side, easy in, easy out, too bad my stop in MI wasn't the same.

Someone recently mentioned the price of steel lately. He was building a crane system out of 2x2 pipe.
I need some square pipe to to make a hitch for my winch that can be mounted to either my trailer or truck with a standard hitch setup. I called my local steel supplier and he wanted $20/ft of the special 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square pipe (seamless?) that will accept 2"x2" square pipe.

Bought the 18" receiver from HF for $20. I can make two with it. I found I had 2" sq galvanized steel fence posts which fits.

The galvanized is just a zinc coating. It will pop and spit at you, sometimes even if you grind it off. And while the fumes can cause metal fume fever, a couple small welds aren't cause for concern. Open the garage door, keep your head out of the plume and don't breathe that crud in. I just hold my breath, do the weld and back away. Inhaling the grinding dust is as bad as the weld fume so wear a dust mask. If you have a respirator you're set.

I'd consider cutting the handle short and making a ghetto x25
Ok I thought it was a good suggestion but Bret, steve, square ground and Nate seemed to think differently! Grrrr!
I don't think this is an X27. Head weight 4#.
https://www.doitbest.com/shop/hand-...MIt_Gl57Wi_AIVECqtBh0Hog4jEAQYBCABEgKKVPD_BwE
What's the head wt of an X27?
think the full weight including handle is 6.3lb, not sure though.
I had a 25 think the handle was 28 inches . Didn’t care for it just felt awkward. It just walked from tool shed about 5 years ago
ghetto x26? Honestly, unless you are 8 ft tall something shorter than the 36" can be great for simple splitting wood, I like my x27, but in your shoes I'd cut it down to a 32" handle, wrap tape at the end dto create a palm swell, and give it a go. In fact now i thought of it I'm tempted to buy another to give it a go.

Oh, whoops, forgot this one :nofunny:
View attachment 1044918
Don't worry though, I got a full 392 miles out of this tank. Keeping my carbon footprint small ;).
we peaked at £2/litre back in the summer, for regular. buying super its 15p more. I spent £100 filling up my 50 litre tank on one occasion. 3.785litres to a US gallon...cripes, we pay a lot.

we peaked at £2/litre back in the summer, for regular. buying super its 15p more. I spent £100 filling up my 50 litre tank on one occasion. 3.785litres to a US gallon...cripes, we pay a lot.
It makes sense when you guys have such a smaller market there. The auto ownership there per thousand is probably where we were many yrs ago. If the demand was higher, I'm sure you guys would have done more to get the price down. Too bad so many will not only suffer, but also die because of all this green dream. If things continue in the direction they are currently going, the world population will surely be dropping drastically.

That's pretty close to what we've been paying for the last 6-7 months. I did the math and it was avg £1.70-1.80 for us. Right now its £1.18 for diesel.

Latest posts

Back