Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning the boy decided to work on the 17yr old toaster oven. The door wouldn't stay closed on its own, he pulled all the screws off the back and couldn't get it loose. I came and took off 4 screws from just inside the unit and it all came right apart lol. Then we found the problem, a broken spring. It was about 3/16-1/4" and about 2" long with a hook on one end and then a long straight piece(about 2") on the other with a hook on the end, it was broke right where the long piece connected to the first wrap of the spiral(spring part). I just bent a loop into each side of the broken area and connected them, since it's always under slight tension it doesn't really need to be a one piece spring. Got it all back together and it works perfectly :happybanana:. Not sure where I could have gotten a spring for it, but I'm sure I would have spent more time looking online for one than it took to rig the old one up as we did. If it works for another yr, I'll be more than pleased with it. Need to buy a backup just like it if we can find one, it's been a nice kitchen tool :).

3 times a day seems a little excessive :innocent:.
I miss Larry too, think about him and some of the other great guys we've lost thru the yrs often.

There's another one too ;).

Figured someone may not have seen it, it is some funny stuff for sure, until you have to deal with the people who post ads like that in person, then the video is a great teacher of how to deal with them.
I've had to tell various people that I don't think the job is a good fit for me currently, mainly because they are too high maintenance of people, or expect a low price for dangerous work and then would be upset if you get the job done quickly. I've found if they start telling me how they'd do it, I just need to walk away from it, that or I tell them an hourly rate and tell them they can work with me, what's $100 an hr if it will only take a few right 😆.

Certainly don't do it for the name, do it for the color, go orange :rock2::lol:.
Go Orange or go home Lol 😆

Attachments

• AFD6E741-A99F-4D5D-B858-369A5E607EC2.jpeg
    AFD6E741-A99F-4D5D-B858-369A5E607EC2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3A13AA21-694A-4D61-B216-A240258C1122.jpeg
    3A13AA21-694A-4D61-B216-A240258C1122.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Happy New Year!View attachment 1045322We had our Christmas yesterday here because freezing rain prevented everyone from getting together last weekend, my wife gave me a new chainsaw for Christmas……….View attachment 1045323
Lol. Now I just need some stickers on it and it will really cut, maybe get it ported 🤔.
I was kind of surprised, it actually cuts pretty good, just needs a longer bar and wrap handle now, lol.
I think I've got a spare 30" 404 if you need it lol

Yep, organization is the hardest part. I don't know how many times I've done exactly that. Or spent time looking for it, give up, go to the store and buy it, use it and then shortly later, find the original. My work benches are full of stuff that belonged to my Dad. Have to find and label places for everything. I'd recycled a lot of his hardware, but some of the bolts are American made and I save those for heavier jobs. Much better quality.
I try to put stuff in totes that I don't need often then take a sharpie and write the contents on the tub. Helps quite a bit to be able to stack them up and utilize my space better.

How are you liking that 592 so far?
It’s a great saw so far , ergonomics are really good plenty of power, acceleration is quick did a muffler mod helped the top end and runs cooler to . 👍

Attachments

• B994514F-526A-4705-ACD1-3D6EB253F96C.jpeg
    B994514F-526A-4705-ACD1-3D6EB253F96C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I don't know anything about LS tractors but I do know about Kubota. Mine has been flawless for 9 years and I could probably sell it for what I paid for it new. The way I look at it is if you buy a chainsaw and you don't like it or it turns out to be junk, you don't have a lot invested. A tractor is a sizeable investment and one you'll want to have confidence in.

Happy New Year!View attachment 1045322We had our Christmas yesterday here because freezing rain prevented everyone from getting together last weekend, my wife gave me a new chainsaw for Christmas……….View attachment 1045323
Lol. Now I just need some stickers on it and it will really cut, maybe get it ported 🤔.
I was kind of surprised, it actually cuts pretty good, just needs a longer bar and wrap handle now, lol.
U should probably keep her if she gives u chainsaws. :yes:

Used Municipal equipment here is sold at several different auctions including Richie Bros. Find our what your local Township does with their used equipment, sometimes it gets traded in to Dealers and you might be able to buy off them. FYI, Viking-Cives equipment is made not far from Just Jeff and I.
https://www.vikingcives.com/
At least around here all old equipment has to be auctioned off or traded in. Municibid was what we used. Most the equipment was just traded in on the new equipment.
Customer (my wife) stated clunking noise from rear of the Envoy . Took a look at it today as it finally was over freezing . The mount for the upper control arm was completely rotted away as was the area on the frame. Car has really only been used in winter for the last 4 years . Was my moms car she bought a new Jeep . Car was always garaged too . Has 112k miles . Shouldn’t happen on a car hardly used in winter but I repaired it .
Replaced the control arm just because I had it apart .
View attachment 1044526
Welded up the nut on the repair plate
View attachment 1044525View attachment 1044527View attachment 1044528
And welded in
View attachment 1044529

Going to start looking for a replacement vehicle .
Yep, how I run vehicles too. Next step is the scrap yard when I'm done with them.
In 1992 I bought a NEW Dodge W350 (one ton) pu, Cummins diesel and 5 speed. I paid the extra $350 and got the dually option too.

I also got 4wd, bucket seats, tachometer, step bumper and a few other things, like the best radio, said to be the same as the Crysler New Yorker got that year. I even paid $87 extra to get the blue medal flake paint I wanted, and it all cost me $26,450.00 dollars.

Started right off with a LOT of cab squeaks, (that they never could fix) and noise from the dash (they shimmed it with electrical tape and fixed that) and a vibration in the drive line that kept getting worse. I figured it was a U-joint and of course they accused me of not greasing them, but after they got it out the service manager showed me that the Spicer U-joint was never drilled for grease to get to two of the caps, they replaced both on the rear drive shaft under warr..

One day I was going down the ALCAN Hiway and I hit a hole in the road, and THAT took care of that so called fantastic radio! It did sound good for as long as it lasted though.

Next thing to go was the transmission! One day I shifted into third and there it stayed when something failed in the case! I took the Getrag out and replaced it with a NV4500, an upgrade...

Next the electrical problems started AND continued! If you drove it at night a lot, especially if you pulled a trailer, the head light switch would get hot and burn out! (I carried a spare) Then the puter failed and the batt. charge circuit goes through that, so no charging would take place, and on and on! What a turd!

The only thing I ever found wrong with the Cummins was, it came with a dodge wrapped around it!!

SR
Had a 1990 W250. Same thing. Engine was dependable as the day long rest of the truck was a pos. Radio fell out if the dash one day on a trip to see my wife in Pittsburgh. Never worked right after that. Stupid noises you couldn't figure out how to fix. I will admit i do miss it. Hop in turn key and go. Got great fuel millage too.
With dsl being $1.60 a gallon more than gas here that V10 is probably cheaper to drive, lol.
Why I've been running the big block more then the diesel. It gets little better then half the millage as my cummins but gas is nearly $2.00 gal cheaper.
I did the same here. Took a 60 x 120 flat spot and invested some money in a bunch of stone so I would have a decent place to park trailers , stack wood etc.
Expensive but worth it!! Since then I've been graveling paths to different shelters we walk to for feeding chores with the goal being to not have to wear muck boots every time we go outside!!
We have the same issue at our place. Lots of red clay. It's a swamp out back again with the rain and warmer temps. We keep fighting over what kind of paths to lay down to the wood shed. She want pretty and I want cheap....

I see that as luck but either way, you are not injured and that's what matters. Did you give the wheel a chance to acclimate to the new environment for like a day maybe?
Yeah, it was a couple days of sitting inside the warm shop before I mounted them

I know exactly which spring you're talking about! I've got one. I'll send it to you. I just need to find it first :laughing: .
Wait, you have the same toaster oven :laugh:.
I may have something that would work too, but I wasn't gonna get up and look for it when I could bend that one and make it work lol.
Had a little mental struggle going on about an hr ago, found a nice project Toyota Camry. Did the best I could to reason myself out of it, but that reasoning may wear thin if the guy calls me back when I have a minute to snag it up. If I wasn't busy in a bit, I would have had another small project :yes:.
I try to put stuff in totes that I don't need often then take a sharpie and write the contents on the tub. Helps quite a bit to be able to stack them up and utilize my space better.
Did someone say totes lol.
I bought these a couple yrs ago, I sold a bunch, filled a bunch, still have a bunch empty.
Almost filled the 6x12 cargo trailer lol.
Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 3.25.58 PM.png
She want pretty and I want cheap....
Pretty cheap sounds like a great compromise :heart::lol:.

Great minds think alike. When I read Sean's post. I thought, tell her your gonna do it pretty cheap. :crazy2: :surprised3:
I've tried that lol. She wants pavers or brick. Either of which will be way more expensive then getting a load of 2A or 3A and making a stone path.

Latest posts

Back