Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smart move and well worth it in the end.
Yes sir it was worth it many times over. It is a huge thing to be able to go out there right after a long hard rain and not get muddy or hung up!! I also have it set up where I can pull up my drive with the 16' trailer and easily put it in it's spot. I use to have to back up the drive which is on a decent grade, miss all the other vehicles, hook the corner and usually after dark with rain on the mirrors!!!! Oh and I'm blind as a bat with zero depth perception!!! Lol
The ability to pull straight in alone was worth the investment.

Happy new year to all of you!

I’ve been quite busy over the last few days between sausage making Thursday night and then cleaning/purging in my house all weekend. I think I’m up to eight black garbage bags of trash plus three white garbage bags of clothes (to donate) so far from just two bedrooms and a linen closet.

I did up about 20 pounds of ground wild hog/domestic pork mix. Made one batch of chorizo sausage (think taco meat but richer and spicier) which really turned out good and then saved and froze the rest of the grind for other recipes in the future. I think I’m going to make some potato sausage soon as that’s always a good winter meal.

Chorizo ingredients.
8D3B18DB-AFBA-4201-8A2C-BD9B09DD6B93.jpeg

Straight grind.
9825C909-DA88-4C20-958E-D9FCE5BF3275.jpeg
Chorizo ran through again to really mix things up.
585CFF2E-A29D-427D-A04B-5F398439C811.jpeg

The test patty. Yummy.
0EC701A8-0AAA-4A40-A110-C3645BBD8170.jpeg

Thought you guys would be a kick out of this… My son left the lawn tractor wagon full of class 5 this fall. It froze in a solid block because we’ve had a couple of ice storms earlier in the winter. The easiest way to get it moved was to tip it over and push it to the edge of the driveway with the plow. I’m actually going to be expanding the driveway in that direction anyway so it did me a favor lol.

58B114D4-06DC-4159-AB48-2BA991B8DE7E.jpeg05ED909D-5208-4BC2-B68C-377CC9AD2A98.jpeg

Had some good eats over the last few days too… I did up a tomahawk steak in the cast-iron for dinner on NYE; first searing on the stove top and then finishing in the oven. It’s definitely one of the best steaks I’ve ever personally cooked and I would definitely cook these again. It was just so unbelievably tender for a ribeye. The steak cost $26 from Walmart and provided three very sufficient meals….easily could’ve fed a fourth.
D86DDE1E-21B4-4E5A-9997-710C4E39723E.jpeg
50049D0E-ED2D-4C7D-9B13-AD29E82F0753.jpeg88243D7B-880D-47E6-91EB-531B15156EEF.jpegE5B7D491-64A6-4DFC-8255-406B4F5D2B17.jpegC2C82FF5-3BA1-4617-9BF9-7F9F5FB5AD82.jpegCFDCC29E-6040-4474-A6C7-7CF2964DB82A.jpegEAB86D14-7248-48D5-85DA-B174497DDEF4.jpeg6E9A2D42-E94F-4119-8E91-D720FEB3770F.jpeg

Grilled steak burrito with horseradish cream sauce for lunch NYD.
D442C8F9-3C4E-422A-81EF-C19819E51E0A.jpeg

Mussels and risotto for dinner NYD
843B5712-57E1-4E2A-B45A-F082065A1BAE.jpeg

I went up to my place in the mountains Friday and cut the rest of the big oak in my camp area, the biggest diameter is still up the hill. All the small stuff is gone. I didn’t take a trailer because it was just me and I didn’t have time to load it, I put seven quarters in the back of my Travelall. Now there’s snow up there again. Some of this wood has bad spots, I’ll split it away when the time comes.

View attachment 1040014
View attachment 1040015
View attachment 1040016
View attachment 1040017

I got the last of that oak split yesterday, and the pine waiting its turn.

570DA113-CF85-47C9-863B-FDDA2104659B.jpeg

Some of it isn’t exactly solid, I’m gonna sort it for the burn barrel when I stack it.
CBF75350-8DB1-4F20-BFBC-A7F3C8D6F515.jpeg

I also have three green roller waste bins full of what I don’t want, some rotten, some termite damaged, and a couple pieces had termites in it still.

Permission to come aboard 🤔😆View attachment 1045352
Sure, you can be my mate. I'll LET you run the trolling motor, getting me to the brush piles so I can fish. And I'll give you the coffee can so you can bail water when we get swamped by one of those @#*@ bass boats that fly by. :laugh:

Doesn't probably qualify as a scrounge as I didn't bring it to the house yet but I split most of that white oak that I drug up the hill with the poor man's gator last week.
The wood lot is pretty full and I won't need it this year so I'll stack it there in the woods and retrieve it later.
That was the first time I pulled the splitter up the big hill with the pmg and it was a little exciting!!! Could have used individual rear brakes as the front tires were off the ground most of the time!! Reckon I'll be adding some front weight .
Individual rear brakes got me out of a snow mess. My area had a deep snow in early 2010 and I waited 2 months before going to my PA property but that wasn't long enough. The property, backhoe, and Brute Force ATV were fairly new to me so I actually had a lot of fun playing with my new toys in the snow. :crazy: I had to park my Jeep on the flat part of the driveway and hike 1700' to my barn/trailer. I brought my firefighter turnout pants/boots which are clunky to walk in but they kept me warm and dry. I tried a shortcut but the drifts came up to my crotch so I stayed mainly on the road.
I had a bunch of stuff in the Jeep to permanently leave at my property but the ATV got stuck just a few feet out of the barn because of ground clearance. I thought about the backhoe but was fairly certain that it wouldn't get back up some of the steep grades, and it didn't. It did OK when the rear wheels were locked but there are a few sharp uphill turns that I couldn't leave the lock on and the front wheels were a big problem from pushing snow and not steering.
So I started at the bottom again and was determined to "get rid of the front wheels". I extended the back hoe until the front wheels started to float and positioned the hoe bucket as a skid. I made it past the turns and steepest part in one try with no rear lock and steering with the brakes. I didn't want to mess up what was working so I did the entire 1700' with the front wheels a few inches above the snow. 😀
The backhoe tracks made it possible for the ATV to make trips to my jeep and haul up my stuff with one side in a track and the other on top of the snow.

Tracks when heading down to the road.
P2200015.JPG

P2200014.JPG

P2200011.JPG

P2200003.JPG

P2200004.JPG

P2200005.JPG

Was able to take my dogs for about 4 miles of walks this weekend, which was really nice. I feel bad when they’re cooped up in kennels when I have long work days.
View attachment 1045454View attachment 1045455
These 2 are funny looking dogs?! 😬

We took ours with us last time up cutting. My son thought he fixed it, but still can’t keep it running.
They are aggravating as heck with the factory carb. I am pretty competent with building and tuning carbs and I never could get it to run right, hated the saw. I had it several years and barely used it.

Seems when you look around online there are lots of folks who hate them 😂

I put this carb on it and now the thing runs fantastic. It would idle a tank of fuel if you left it and the hot start flooding they all seem to have has vanished. Running RS chain on it (it just won’t wear out) and it really cuts good.

The only negative is the L adjustment screw doesn’t line up perfectly with the access hole.

I have the stock muffler on it as this is mainly my ATV saw and I don’t want it to be an ear rattler.

I have a friend that when we were splitting wood, would grab those things and eat them down!

Especially the nice big fat ones...

SR
One of my cousins climbers was a bit of a survivalist. Before he got married he would take his two weeks vacation and disappear in the George Washington National Forest with just a back pack. He was big into eating buds and bugs. He used to mess with the new guys by picking up bugs and eating them. Till he ate a Stink Bug. Later I asked him if he really chewed it up or just swallowed it? He said he popped it in his mouth and crunched down on it, and instantly thought he was going to die. But, he knew he drew the line and couldn’t back over it, so he chewed it up good and swallowed. When he crunched it up that smell shot through his sinus and he said he didn’t think it would ever go away.

Latest posts

Back