Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of calcium chloride on the dirt roads here, that's about as bad as salt. My 02 Silverado frame is about to break in half under the cab. Most of it is rotted away. A few taps with the hammer and the truck looses a few pounds
What engine in it ? I’m looking for a donor for my 68 if you decide it’s not worth fixing .

Lots of calcium chloride on the dirt roads here, that's about as bad as salt. My 02 Silverado frame is about to break in half under the cab. Most of it is rotted away. A few taps with the hammer and the truck looses a few pounds
Dust suppresent often up North here also in the summer , very corrosive chemical !

Well this was a first. Moved my chain grinders from the unheated shed to the heated shop today. Got them plugged in and threw a chain on one and kicked it on. Phone rang so I stepped away to answer and head a loud pop and then the grinder get really loud.

View attachment 1045281
Save the big piece! Makes a great tuning stone fir an axe bit, and you can store it in the ol glove box!

Dust suppresent often up North here also in the summer , very corrosive chemical !
My dad wanted to buy the Silverado he's leasing but 12 months of it's life was on calcium chlorided roads. He said no way he's buying it now after what happened to his other truck from living on a treated dirt road

Many years ago I bought an MS 290 to help out a friend. I think it was the second time in my life I didn’t have a saw on my truck. Turned out I liked it. It became my truck saw. Stays on the back 24/7, it’s not even Orange any more. Another friend gave me 3 20” bars from his 390. So I switched over to 3/8 chain and opened up the muffler a little. Now I hand it to friends and they go, oh, a Farm Boss. Then they run it, and go, wow, what did you do to that saw, it runs great. It does run better than the average 290.

Then I bought an MS 170 because they were on sale for $159. It ran great for several years and started losing power. Went by my friends shop and told him it was time for a plug. He asked if I checked the muffler? Duh. Pulled the cover off and it was so carboned up you couldn’t see light through it. Cleaned out, running great again. Few more years went by and it started losing power again. Muffler was clean, so I checked the air filter. It was spotless. But the saw still wasn’t right. Checked the air filter again. Enough Super fine dust was getting by the filter and was sticking to the plastic block before the carb, it was almost blocked. Cleaned it out and running great again.

Im happy with my home owner grade saws. I have 60 or 70 pro saws on the shelves. It’s too hard to keep them running so they just sit and look pretty. My 660 is always at hand. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a new saw again.

Unless I run across a 116 CC Echo 1201.
rarefish funny you should mention the loss of power in your ms170, ive has the same thing happen to my Stihl blower. That was easily solved by cleaning the spark arrestor. Been recently having the same problem with my hedge trimmer tryed cleaning the spark arrestor still down on power checked and cleaned the air filter, still down on power. Thought it may have a scored piston.
Then looked inside the air cleaner cover, there was a thin sponge prefilter. Pulled it out and it was jam packed with leaves and crud. Cleaned it out and it has stacks mord power and revs hard.
Sometimes its the dead simple things which catch you out.

Anyone have a very general estimate on what a 4 wheeler with a bucket trailer addition would set me back? Eastern US.
Not exactly sure what you mean by a bucket trailer? However, a brand new bare bones 400cc 4x4 is going to be in the $6500 to $7000 range I'm guessing.

Just make sure it's a Honda, I can still buy parts for my 1980's 3 wheelers since it's hard to kill a Honda. One of those Foreman 4x4 4 wheelers you can get used for a few grand. Plus there's plenty of attachments available
Not exactly sure what you mean by a bucket trailer? However, a brand new bare bones 400cc 4x4 is going to be in the $6500 to $7000 range I'm guessing.

Anyone have a very general estimate on what a 4 wheeler with a bucket trailer addition would set me back? Eastern US.
Just make sure it's a Honda, I can still buy parts for my 1980's 3 wheelers since it's hard to kill a Honda. One of those Foreman 4x4 4 wheelers you can get used for a few grand. Plus there's plenty of attachments available
Yes! Go with Honda if you're looking fir a work machine that will last! 👍

Latest posts

Back