Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Improved" cartridges are typically formed by fire forming. Usually, the angle of the neck is changed, sometimes the cartridge also has less taper, or the neck could be moved forward a bit. All of these things result in more case capacity and slightly more power.

The Ackley-Improved was an option for me when I ordered my barrel, but I did not opt for it. It has a steeper shoulder angle.

I can close them out, but they STIHL keep popping up! I do everything on my phone I don't have a computer. Im buying one next trip to town.

The reason I ask is earlier I checked what upgrades came with the upgrade. One of them was “ability to turn off adds”, I thought okay that’s how you do it. I didn’t think to see if I could do it without an upgrade. I did the upgrade and turned them off, now I don’t have any adds.

I wonder if there's a specific make/model guide line to building a pipe? There must be info on it out there I would think. ☝️Also, NOS?🤔 Ive seen NOS kits fir saws on the internet, but I have no idea how much NOS would Improve performance? I've heard from both sides of that coin!🤷
You can get software programs for building pipes, but I don't know how well that works. I think it still comes down to a lot of trial and error. If I were to build one, I'd probably just spitball something as a baseline and then go from there.

EDIT for better explanation:
A decent pipe will have gains on a saw, but IMO the best move is to port it to match. Some of the piped saws are running port timing numbers that I would never dream of running on a worksaw. I suck at explaining this, but with a pipe, some of the lost charge is returned to the cylinder to be compressed. With a normal muffler, there isn't a strong "pulse" so you're effectively only building compression once the exhaust valve closes on the compression stroke. A higher exhaust valve will thus lower compression in your average saw. Careful getting into porting though, that's a deep/dark rabbit hole lol.

I don't really know much about NOS, but I think jetting would be an issue. You'd need significantly richer jetting during a shot NOS.

You can get software programs for building pipes, but I don't know how well that works. I think it still comes down to a lot of trial and error. If I were to build one, I'd probably just spitball something as a baseline and then go from there.

A decent pipe will have gains on a saw, but IMO the best move is to port it to match. I think the piped saws are running port timing numbers that I would never dream of running on worksaw. Careful getting into porting though, that's a deep/dark rabbit hole lol.

I don't really know much about NOS, but I think jetting would be an issue. You'd need significantly richer jetting during a shot NOS.
Roger If I ever do attempt to build a racer I have no expectations of the motor lasting long between rebuilds. Then again I don't want to build a race saw to last. I want to build one that will suck as much fuel and air as It possibly can without grenading every other tank of gas. I guess I really just want an unbelievable fast modified stock saw that turns heads and is otherwise pretty much useless in a practical production setting. I mean why not? I like to go fast! Heck, who doesn't?!?!🤷 I could probably find someone on the internet who knows exactly how to build one. Then I'm just going to want a hot saw with a liquid cooled twin cylinder Rotax two stroke turning 100+hp spinning harvester chain with a 12 point wheel on a 20" harvester bar! The addiction would simply never end!

@Kodiak Kid See my previous post for an edit. It's the best way I can explain 2 stroke tuning, or at least how I understand it.
How does one know if his pipe is at its proper fit for max performance? Sounds like a lot of fabbing, refabbing, and MIG or TIG (witch ever it is) welding to get it fine tuned. Also, I know zilch🙅 about porting and timing changes! Nothing🤦 nothing🤦 nothing! 🤦
☝️I know how to fine tune a square grind! That might help?🤷

Roger If I ever do attempt to build a racer I have no expectations of the motor lasting long between rebuilds. Then again I don't want to build a race saw to last. I want to build one that will suck as much fuel and air as It possibly can without grenading every other tank of gas. I guess I really just want an unbelievable fast modified stock saw that turns heads and is otherwise pretty much useless in a practical production setting. I mean why not? I like to go fast! Heck, who doesn't?!?!🤷 I could probably find someone on the internet who knows exactly how to build one. Then I'm just going to want a hot saw with a liquid cooled twin cylinder Rotax two stroke turning 100+hp spinning harvester chain with a 12 point wheel on a 20" harvester bar! The addiction would simply never end!
You forgot the “Arr, arr, arr! at the end of that 🤣

You forgot the “Arr, arr, arr! at the end of that 🤣
Your right! I did didn't I?
Arr arr arr!.... Arrrrrrr arr arr!..... Arrrrrrrrrrr arr arr arr!

Yep we had several that did. The owner knew who they were and gave us free reign to say enough was enough whenever we deemed necessary.
My favorite was a jerk who NEVER bought fuel there but would pull up, block a pump, order me to take his $5 and go get him a pack of M&M's and a diet coke and bring him his change. If he had to wait for a paying customers car to finish fueling, he'd start honking. That didn't last long either. He threatened to call the owner when I finally had my fill and refused to wait on him hand and foot. I told him that wouldn't be necessary. I called the owner when I saw you pull up and he said if you block a pump to get the wrecker an shove you off the lot! Owner had had his fill as well!!
You should have started wearing long spikes all over your body, and walking VERY close to his truck. :laugh:

New Holland is built by Ford right! I hear they're good machine's! 👍

Any of you guys familiar with Massy Ferguson tractors? Are they any good? How about the Alis Chalmers? 50/50 or 60/40?
I think the smaller NH tractors { as well as JD,MF, and others} are now made by a company called LS. Mine was Ford made.

One tree can produce 5 gallons a day per tap but on average 2+ . A large tree can have 3 taps but I’ve never gone that Many . A healthy tree it won’t hurt the tree at all . The hole is 5/16 and only goes in an inch or so .
What type of fitting do you have there that goes into the tree? I have 2 Maples in my front yard I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Do you just get everything you need at TSC? And what time is the right time of year to drill and tap them.

I think the smaller NH tractors { as well as JD,MF, and others} are now made by a company called LS. Mine was Ford made.
NH compact tractors ARE made by LS in South Korea, but JD, MF and others {?} are NOT.

NH is owned by Fiat and ford has had nothing to do with NH in MANY years.

SR

What type of fitting do you have there that goes into the tree? I have 2 Maples in my front yard I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Do you just get everything you need at TSC? And what time is the right time of year to drill and tap them.
I use Stainless spiles
3C80B1FB-39A4-4E1D-BAB5-516104271206.jpeg
I’ve used these in the past the plastic tends to crack after a few years . The blue tubing is sold Tractor supply
2DF3AA6C-9A1B-4B9E-967F-150CE553824E.jpeg
I tap around the middle of February . It all depends on your average temps . They need to be above freezing during the day and below at night .

@Kodiak Kid, first look at pipes used by ALX and Taylor. They make "large bore" engines for rc and honestly our 32cc zenoah engines make 6-7hp easily once ported and on a good pipe. The afore mentioned make engines up to 90cc.

There are several ways to make pipes. Some have very narrow power band and some have a general powerband but loose that real flick a switch type of power that most associate with a tubed pipe. There's is a lot that goes into pipe building. Pipe length, forcing cone shape/size and even the stinger can effect how the engine preforms.
Having said all that saws don't Flow air worth dung just poor design and small restrictive carbs and intake designs. So grabbing about any pipe that's sized for close to your displacement will make a noticeable difference right off the bat.

On the skid loader lift arm thing. Never seen a major advantage to the extra complication of the vertical lift style. To me it's a nice to have but not need to have. Never had issues loading dump trucks with either style and as far as loaded reach thats as high as I want to push a skid loader with a full bucket anyway.
Lift capacity is pretty easy to look up too, skid steers typically have a better capacity from similar sized tractors.
Tires vs track vs flop on tracks has always been an issue to decide on. I used to say if your doing just dirt work tracks are the way to go but recently using them on and off road the tires are just cheaper and easier. The flop on tracks are ok depending on what your doing. I've never cared much for them but thats only one set and I had a decent tracked machine available. Lots of variables and we'll all have differing opinions. Kinda like I wouldn't take a bobcat if it was the last skid loader on planet earth. Hate their machines to the core. Flat out stupid set up and very hard to work on. Like the design team was a bunch of 2 year old kids. Same applies to their mini hoes.
Attachments are pretty expensive right now. I have ssqa on my tractor so been looking at skid steer attachments and wish I would have bought pre-covid. Prices are almost double from 2 years ago. Everything attachments makes some of the finest attachments money can buy. I would really like a 50 wicked grapple. They were around $1800.00 think they are pushing $3k for a 50" modle right now. I've been finding my new (to me) forks pretty handy recently. Although I'll be adding a finger sooner then later.
Thinking of attachments. You'll want to figure out if you need high flow hydraulics or not. Kinda a pain to need them and not have them then to have them and not need them. Ditchers, rotary mowers, (well any type of mower I've used) need high flow hydraulics.

those on the West Coast may still be finishing up coffee hour... done here and windy out...
View attachment 1048910
I must be akin to a 572 Mountain Motor, I aint getting anywherfe NEAR that mileage.
@Kodiak Kid I wanted you and your wife’s take on this. They already changed the Squaw Valley name up North, now they just changed the one here to Yokuts Valley. Apparently they say it was offensive, I didn’t see it that way.

View attachment 1048915

https://californiaglobe.com/article...ts-valley-following-over-two-years-of-debate/
Yeah, A friend owns Sandy Point Disc Golf Resort on Squaw Lake in Northern Wisconsin, Lac Du Flambeau area, and they are tryin to rename the Lake, LOTS of Indian Land and reservations around there....
Once cut into rounds and split it will dry fast
Live Oak is the WORST for not wanting to dry unless split..... Even then, splits need to dry three times as lons as anything else I have to cut and use. Very dense and heavy, burns real slow.
Nasty? He lost his father.....and now you (and other tree hugers) want him to get attached to things that reminds him of his father....

That way he will never (or at least will take him longer...) get over him.

My advice is that he should take advice(s) from other (hobby) arborist or lumberjacks on this forum....and not so from tree huggers here.

Life happens.....and we have to shuffle trouhg it!
You oughta keep your opinion to yourself on how you will remember or not remember your family.
More ash scrounge today. 4 more buckets hauled to the splitter. View attachment 1049142View attachment 1049143
You really oughta have a table made of plastic drums and plywood, my back hurts just looking at bending ovewr to pick up rounds you worked so hard with your tractor to just get that close with.
Is it a hard or long process to make Maple syrup? Can one get syrup by tapping just any Maple tree? How about Birch tree syrup?

I sure do like me some real maple Syrup! I won't buy the fake stuff! 🤔Well, maybe Mrs. Buttersworth ever now and then, but hey! Come on now! 🤷 Who doesn't like Ol Mrs. B?

Im sure it doesn't compare to the product you put out, but store bought is all we can get here on the Island Teriffic in the North Pacific! 👍 It works vs. the fake stuff! Even over Ol Mrs. B! 🤣😉View attachment 1049126

Seafood is our Islands specialty! Specifically crab, cod halibut and last but certainly not least, salmon. Seafood is what the Island dose here best! 👍 Oh yeah and Brown Bear! 🤣

This is the product I turn out up here. I've been known to smoke and can/jar over 20 Case's of pint and 20 case's of 1/2 pint jars in a season before, but usually five cases is average.👍 A lot of work involved! As everything is done by hand. From Catch and filleting to peeling and chunking fresh alder fir the smoking process. All natural wood fired smoke no electric hot plates or anything artificial. Its a good product in the end! I get many compliments on my canned kippered salmon. Often being told its the best smoked salmon ever made. I don't know about att that but I definitely enjoy it!👍 View attachment 1049147View attachment 1049148

If you like Smoked Salmon and your into trading? Maybe we could work out some sort of Syrup fir Salmon trade some day? 🤷
I'll trade you some Florida Wild Hog, ground into a loose sausage, frozen and shipped with a little dry ice, for a jar of your choice- the Red Bellies intrigues me?
Is that your Skid Steer? If so, how do you like it? I'm in the market fir either a Skid steer or 60-70 horse tractor.
He has a nice machine, but I would opt for a CTL in the 50-60 hp range.

I finally got the last load of wood unloaded from the trailer and covered up yesterday. Just in time for the rain and mess were supposed ro get this week.
My old man called and put me onto a 95 cummins. Truck is shot but says it fires right up and drives. Just don't put your feet on the floorboard. No interest in the truck really. Just want the engine, plow and dump insert. Supposedly the transmission was redone a few years ago. It's your typical plow truck from eastern PA. 🙄.

Man was I wrong. I've been sharpening by hand the chain on the saw as I use. Every now and then try to knock down the rakers with I flat file I had. It didn't cut so well. I bought the Pherd file/guide tool and just got done going over the chain once with it. The chain had been cutting but not putting out big chips. Had trouble cutting through a Sassafras log and I said enough.
Tried the tool out today and I already can see the mistakes I've been making. Man was I wrong! The teeth sharpened from the nut side of the bar where sharpened at too acute of an angle (pointier) while the muffler side was at the correct angle. Also, the rakers on the nut side were not filed down as much as the other side. I still need more filing to get it down to where it should be, but I'm going to see if there's anything at the log yard for me to see how it's cutting. Some 24" Red Oak I know of???
I also need to get a couple of vises to clamp the bar in. I've been doing it with just a block of wood under the bar so it wouldn't teeter. My Dad had a nice one out in the garage and when we disposed of his house, I left it there thinking i couldn't take anything attached. Found out new homeowners gutted the garage. Could have mounted that on my tailgate. Need a clamp on version for my new table saw work surface in the basement too.

I must be akin to a 572 Mountain Motor, I aint getting anywherfe NEAR that mileage.

Yeah, A friend owns Sandy Point Disc Golf Resort on Squaw Lake in Northern Wisconsin, Lac Du Flambeau area, and they are tryin to rename the Lake, LOTS of Indian Land and reservations around there....

Live Oak is the WORST for not wanting to dry unless split..... Even then, splits need to dry three times as lons as anything else I have to cut and use. Very dense and heavy, burns real slow.

You oughta keep your opinion to yourself on how you will remember or not remember your family.

You really oughta have a table made of plastic drums and plywood, my back hurts just looking at bending ovewr to pick up rounds you worked so hard with your tractor to just get that close with.

I'll trade you some Florida Wild Hog, ground into a loose sausage, frozen and shipped with a little dry ice, for a jar of your choice- the Red Bellies intrigues me?

He has a nice machine, but I would opt for a CTL in the 50-60 hp range.
Oh I'd hook you up with more than a jar if you like smoked salmon. Id be willing to do a few jars if you're sausage has good flavor? Never had wild hog before. Always wanted to try it! 👍

Latest posts

Back