Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were powerhouses compared to the 6.9l they replaced, or even the smogged out 460's. I remember the day my dad got his 1990 f350. We thought we were in heaven with all the power it had. Which was just great till the power strokes came out. The Dodge boys definatly had the edge with the Cummins though.
I do like the late 460s, I've always been impressed with my old man's late OBS Ford with the 460/ 5 speed. Even though the specs are fairly similar IIRC, I always thought it ran much better than the TBI 454s I've driven...but not like that's saying much...

I do like the late 460s, I've always been impressed with my old man's late OBS Ford with the 460/ 5 speed. Even though the specs are fairly similar IIRC, I always thought it ran much better than the TBI 454s I've driven...but not like that's saying much...
Yeah I have a 96 f250 w/460. When efi came out they stopped the retarded cam timing, then they got a update for more hp/tq. In 96 the fuel/spark maps got updated and they were very close to the first gen power stroke ratings. Just a little shy of torque and a bit more hp. Haven't ever had any instances in normal towing or hauling where I really thought it was underpowered, compared to the diesel options of its day. Even comparing it to my brothers 97 f350 power stroke they are pretty even pulling. Empty and lighter loads the 460 has the advantage purely because it spins a little faster. Heavier loads the power stroke hangs in there a little longer. I would trade in a hot second for his power stroke, but the truck is pretty sad shape compared to my truck.

I amended my post.
Theys are naturally aspirated oil burners. If you want a truck that age, look for a Ford with 300 inline 6 or same thing in Chevy ( I think 296) I've had 3 of the 300s. Best engine Ford ever made

They’re something really wrong if you think a straight 6 is the best engine ford ever made.
IF and that is a big if…ford had put a metal timing gear that BOLTS onto that 300 I’d agree it was their best engine ever. What an absolute PITA to change that stupid pressed on fiber gear.

I would like to add that I plan to take my old 6.5 to the grave with me. I despise the new trucks: gadgets, infotainment, gps, def, etc - no thanks. Not to mention price. Oh, i forgot that I think they are all ugly too.
I don't need the gadgets and what not either and I agree the newer trucks are pretty ugly, but as soon as I can afford something in the mid 2000's I'll upgrade. Better engines, transmissions, axles in some models and the Interiors were nicer.

IF and that is a big if…ford had put a metal timing gear that BOLTS onto that 300 I’d agree it was their best engine ever. What an absolute PITA to change that stupid pressed on fiber gear.
They were good engines, but they weren't any better then the small blocks, everyone gets all googly and teary-eyed when any straight 6 gas engine is mentioned and they over look they were all low hp, low torque slow reving engines. Just about the same as any if the industrial big blocks. They just kept chugging along doing their thing. Well till the timing gear flew apart like you said.

Yeah I have a 96 f250 w/460. When efi came out they stopped the retarded cam timing, then they got a update for more hp/tq. In 96 the fuel/spark maps got updated and they were very close to the first gen power stroke ratings. Just a little shy of torque and a bit more hp. Haven't ever had any instances in normal towing or hauling where I really thought it was underpowered, compared to the diesel options of its day. Even comparing it to my brothers 97 f350 power stroke they are pretty even pulling. Empty and lighter loads the 460 has the advantage purely because it spins a little faster. Heavier loads the power stroke hangs in there a little longer. I would trade in a hot second for his power stroke, but the truck is pretty sad shape compared to my truck.

He'll probably keep his forever...it's a 95 f250, 4wd, ext cab, long bed. We've talked about doing a 12 valve swap if the 460 ever craps out, maybe beef up the frame, straight axle the front, etc.

It's a shame the gas big blocks went away(until the 7.3 gas a couple years ago.) I used to have a 2003 Dodge 2500 with the 5.7. It didn't tow as well as his f250, or at least the constant shifting drove me nuts. On top of that, the fuel mileage was only 1-2mpg better than the 460 when empty. That was back when gas was cheap, so I didn't care.

I've since replaced that truck with my 08 2500 w/ a deleted 6.7 and 6 speed manual. I think Dodge finally figured out the QC on the very late 3rd gens...except for the emissions systems, but that's not something I have anymore. It's actually been very solid and I don't foresee ever selling it.

He'll probably keep his forever...it's a 95 f250, 4wd, ext cab, long bed. We've talked about doing a 12 valve swap if the 460 ever craps out, maybe beef up the frame, straight axle the front, etc.

It's a shame the gas big blocks went away(until the 7.3 gas a couple years ago.) I used to have a 2003 Dodge 2500 with the 5.7. It didn't tow as well as his f250, or at least the constant shifting drove me nuts. On top of that, the fuel mileage was only 1-2mpg better than the 460 when empty. That was back when gas was cheap, so I didn't care.

I've since replaced that truck with my 08 2500 w/ a deleted 6.7 and 6 speed manual. I think Dodge finally figured out the QC on the very late 3rd gens...except for the emissions systems, but that's not something I have anymore. It's actually been very solid and I don't foresee ever selling it.
I have the same truck just a year newer and automatic. I've debated a cummins swap, but have a crew can 92 f-350 I'll be putting together after my shop is up. Pretty sure it will be getting the 12 valve out of the my 79. I do have a king pin Dana 60 sitting here to swap under the 96, but the front brakes are smaller and I don't care to compromise braking ability of it.

As long as you don't live in my state, who are planning on banning the sales of new generators next year. Their answer: electric generators, or as normal people call them, battery banks. 🤣
It's seriously time for you to consider moving to a different state.

It's seriously time for you to consider moving to a different state.
It's really hard to leave, between work and being pretty settled down in my current place. On top of that, I really like the part of the state I live in.
The trouble is it is spreading ... they are talking about it here too!
IMO, NY state politics is just as crazy as ours. I'm guessing the dynamic is like here too...in that most of the geographical regions of the state are fairly rational, it's just that the state is controlled by the crazies in the city.

It's spreading across the western US...which is odd, as the "rugged individualist" philosophy that was prevalent across the rural western states for generations, is at odds with a collectivist agenda. It's even seeping into places like Idaho.

It's really hard to leave, between work and being pretty settled down in my current place. On top of that, I really like the part of the state I live in.

IMO, NY state politics is just as crazy as ours. I'm guessing the dynamic is like here too...in that most of the geographical regions of the state are fairly rational, it's just that the state is controlled by the crazies in the city.

It's spreading across the western US...which is odd, as the "rugged individualist" philosophy that was prevalent across the rural western states for generations, is at odds with a collectivist agenda. It's even seeping into places like Idaho.
We have lost Colorado. More states r getting overrun. To many people from commie states running from the shite holes they created, but bring the same thinking that caused it. I want to leave MN too, but it is too late for me to move.

Back