Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stamina improving a bit. 2.5 hours of hard physical labor on that tangled up thorn grove. Actually almost all of he first hour was spent trekking from truck into the grove and equipment problems. Husky top handle threw the chain -snagged on a branch while reaching for a different one - which munged a driver resulting in about the 4th treip back to the truck to get the Stihl 193 top handle.; MS400 sowhing some improvement in starting. Still way more pulls than should be for cold start and same for warm but at least few than the first day.

Ah, yes, managed to oil and gas my pants - glad to get that job out of the way for he season. Forgot to put the screq caps in after the fill up. Of course never noticed that until I was back at the grove.

Talked to the farmer about graveling the entrance ruts. We'll make an attempt to get some dropped at the entrance next week. Then use his bucket loader to gravel the ruts.

Major problem piling the brush. each stem has mulltip substems coming of it, all with thorns, so it is really fun - cut stem multiple yanks to get it free from the tangle. Toss on pile. Volume of pile builds very fast as s it is all air. I'll see if he will leave the tractor w/bucket and may be use to smash down teh crap.

Moved the oak stub for the grinder guy coming in today and played with the mofo 026 yesterday afternoon. View attachment 1066626View attachment 1066627View attachment 1066628View attachment 1066629
Moved, not picked up lol.
The red oak stump I've been burning up is now down to around 5-600, got a good fire under it right now, should be gone soon.
That thing should pull a 20x3/8 just fine, you'll need to run it pretty fat with that little bar on it.
It is a fact that taller tires on the back of any vehicle increases fuel economy, cause everything does better goin downhill. If you don't agree with my science then you are racist and you are not allowed to voice your disinformation. Now back to my normal morning activity :drinkingcoffee:
I always liked to put smaller ones on my hondas, it makes them drift better lol.
View attachment 1066667My guy is ready to eat some stumps!
Thats a beast, could you send him by my place in a few weeks :).
MN has a progressive fee chart for passenger vehicles
Imagine that. Too bad these large cities are screwing this country up with their woke policies.
$1000/yr...:surprised3:
Their progressive ;).
I do not know if there is a cap but my ex's suburban was about $700 on 65k vehicle...Escalades and Grand Wagoneer's are over 100 now if they're loaded up.
I used to transfer the plates from my Honda civic to my 90 Lexus LS400 after paying $56, I think it was 18 to transfer them, then I'd buy new platesfor the civic for $56. The plates would have cost me $180, the gals at the secretary of state got a kick out of it.
Reminds me of when burger King came out with their dollar menu, I had my kids and we ordered like 6 regular burgers and it was over 10 bucks :oops:. They had bacon cheeseburgers for .99, I said give me 4 without bacon and cheese, they looked at me, then at the value menu, then to the regular menu, then at the register and rang it up, then they smiled and said, "that's smart" :laugh:.
Don't think that loader will move that rock :p
Hold my beer 🤣.
Saw this today, I thought it might get my pond area done quicker, just not sure there's enough room to get it back there, or for it to turn around lol.
20230316_113549.jpg

Here's the red oak I dropped.
Notched it, bore it and set up a tapered hinge, then released it :chainsaw:. Sure hope I did it right, at least I had my trusty husky :p. Just leaned it out a bit, had to hold it back ;).

Got a nice 8' log out of the butt.
20230316_160815.jpg
20230316_160835.jpg
Got 6 or 7 buckets to the "to be split" pile, and about 3/4 of the bucket filled with dead branches that were delivered into the house to be burned this weekend.
Also found a set of sheds @Honyuk96 :laughing:.
20230316_160038.jpg

Here's the red oak I dropped.
Notched it, bore it and set up a tapered hinge, then released it :chainsaw:. Sure hope I did it right, at least I had my trusty husky :p. Just leaned it out a bit, had to hold it back ;).

Got a nice 8' log out of the butt.
View attachment 1066823
View attachment 1066828
Got 6 or 7 buckets to the "to be split" pile, and about 3/4 of the bucket filled with dead branches that were delivered into the house to be burned this weekend.
Also found a set of sheds @Honyuk96 :laughing:.
View attachment 1066831

Nice!👍Looks like that tractor will do some work now!

Nice!👍Looks like that tractor will do some work now!
Already did it :happy:.
Got home at 2:30, changed and grabbed a bite to eat, grabbed the tractor and saws and drove out back. Cleaned up a bit of debris and then made some cuts on the tree. It was a bit sketchy because I had to cut from the low side, the main thing I was concerned with was getting pinched, I left the hinge wide and then eased into it to get the taper. Glad it went well. Then I cut all the limbs on one side until I was walking on them and went to the other side while the wife and kids hauled brush, then when they were done there I switched back to where I started and in no time at all she was brushed out and it was all on the pile. By that time I had much of it bucked up and they started loading that up. Very efficient process, we make a good team :numberone:.
Then they went inside and I scrapped as much topsoil off a section as I could, and pushed over another little cherry tree. After that I filled in the gulley a little more and then went inside as I was pretty soaked. Heading back out to move everything onto the fire that didn't get burned already (oh yeah, started the fire too), maybe I'll cut a few more small treed up if the weather and the light so allow 😀.
So far it's been a good evening, except that part where my boy got some experience at my expense, he dropped a round out of the bucket onto the hood of the tractor when putting it on the to be split pile :(. But I'm not gonna get to upset about it as he was sorry and my guess is he won't do it again. Next time it will cost him, the first ones on me.

Back