Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those four logs from the first pic along with a couple of other bits that got in the way filled the ute and the trailer. One had a small termite pipe up it but nothing much, the rest was solid.

5th May 5.jpg

5th May 6.jpg

5th May 7.jpg

5th May 8.jpg

Got home and unloaded the trailer, split and stacked outside the woodshed. I generally keep my splits from big rounds big, I get enough smaller stuff in the course of normal scrounging. Didn't get the ute unloaded before I had to pick up the kids and then the light was about gone.

5th May 9.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Sunny 70's here today, and one of the things that I did was "rip" some short cutoffs from the logs that were headed to the BSM, into blanks,

Resized-20230505-141036-S.jpg

As I already said before, I use these blanks to make wooden toys, mostly cars/trucks for my grandson who is car crazy,

Resized-20230505-141139-S.jpg

This is the last one that I have to rip and being a crotch, I was expecting some pretty nice grain in it,

Resized-20230505-141700-S.jpg

and of course, I pick up all the chips for "fire starter",

Resized-20230505-141650-S.jpg

they work really great for that!

SR

The music I hope. Using the term loosely.
Those squat trucks show up at the truck shows . Not many people like the look one of my friends made a sign and put it in front of one of the young guys in our group who had one . Sign said “Lost my job halfway through the lift anything helps “ he put a coffee cup with some change in front of the truck too .

I was working on a truck today and saw something that really irritated me. I have a CCW license and this goes against everything we were taught. Keep in mind this truck sat overnight at the shop. View attachment 1080307 Talk about not controlling/keeping track of your weapon. :buttkick:
On our cross country trip I had to have a set of tires put on the Goldwing . I unloaded everything and grabbed the 40 out of the tour pack . Guy was like you didn’t need to do that we all carry at the shop . It was Texas but I wouldn’t have felt comfortable leaving it on the bike

G'day SB, good to see you. We're going to need to see lots of pics to determine the effectiveness of the Hexa chain in proper hardwood. Ironbark, I'm jealous. 👍
Mate,

I'll see what I can do about that. One of my chainsaw mates is a genius when it comes to chains, angles etc. We always compare chips when working on and comparing chains.
Tomorrow we're spending the day sourcing billets for the upcoming local show (speed cutting, post rip, disc stack). I've got the chain (still) sitting on the saw ready to go. I'll have some other 3/8" .063 chain to compare against (I think some fresh OOTB loops too), so might be able to compare factory sharp vs factory sharp, plus have a look at what happens once we start sharpening ourselves.

I'll do my best to get some photos, maybe some video.
Regards
SB

So, with the scrounge pics now. This peppermint that the arborist pushed off the road was enormous (for a peppermint). The trunk was on the other side of the road and I guess was 50-60 inches, this was the limb material.

View attachment 1080244

View attachment 1080245

View attachment 1080246

I had Limby and the 460 today and I was glad I brought it today as I dug dirt with Limby cutting these first rounds :dumb: . The 460 hadn't been run in maybe 2 years and still had old fuel in it but started up and ran well like it always does.

View attachment 1080247

TBC
Looks like it would be beneficial to invest in a 36' or even a 42' bar for Limby. That way you can own the roadside scrounge scene for the entire distrct. Especially up agains ms170 or ms250's.
I have a 36' bar for my MMWS 661 and it screams fully buried.

So, with the scrounge pics now. This peppermint that the arborist pushed off the road was enormous (for a peppermint). The trunk was on the other side of the road and I guess was 50-60 inches, this was the limb material.

View attachment 1080244

View attachment 1080245

View attachment 1080246

I had Limby and the 460 today and I was glad I brought it today as I dug dirt with Limby cutting these first rounds :dumb: . The 460 hadn't been run in maybe 2 years and still had old fuel in it but started up and ran well like it always does.

View attachment 1080247

TBC
About time 😆.
Looks like a nice find for sure.
I managed to buck up a few sticks of cherry, no pics of it though, too busy and my phone was in the house.
Here's a substitute pic, saw this on the rd a couple days ago.
That's some big chunks.
20230503_170920.jpg

Latest posts

Back