Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may notice that is was 30* here when I drove away with my doe in the cargo carrier.

Up at the cabin, it was 14* at 4:22 pm! A substantial difference! Good thing Harold and I did that insulation this year! (also had some help from my daughter's family, and Matt cleaned up after we were done and left a big mess, so a group project).

We did well opening weekend.
The boy & I were out for about 45min and got this old boy. 177yd out by our range finder.
19" spread & definitely the biggest bodied deer I've ever taken.
I felt a bit bad because he had seen a LOT of fighting for dominance & his belly showed lots of scars from jumping over barbed-wire fences.
He was the King of the Forest in our area.

Attachments

• PXL_20231118_131605764.jpg
    PXL_20231118_131605764.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231118_154902065.jpg
    PXL_20231118_154902065.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
G'day fellers,

Mitch pulled half of the big candlebark down the hill with the excavator last week, the rest he pulled up the hill. Here's the downhill section.

20231121_142353.jpg

Here it is again, from a different angle.

20231121_142421.jpg

I managed to dull the chain on both the 460 and Limby but I did get a bit done.

20231121_161445.jpg

20231121_161500.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

We did well opening weekend.
The boy & I were out for about 45min and got this old boy. 177yd out by our range finder.
19" spread & definitely the biggest bodied deer I've ever taken.
I felt a bit bad because he had seen a LOT of fighting for dominance & his belly showed lots of scars from jumping over barbed-wire fences.
He was the King of the Forest in our area.
Nice job. Look at the neck on that ole boy. Looks full rut mode

I think this buck is teasing MechanicMatt! Matt hunted from our tripod stand a lot this opening WE.

Now that we are not up there, this guy walks by during legal shooting hours (about 60 yds away in a shooting lane).

The way it goes!

Good to know there are more still up there. I will be going up this WE with my daughter, friend Harold and his son Jesse.

Matt can't make it as he will be visiting his oldest daughter in college.
My mistake. The pic previously posted is a doe, but this isn't! Hopefully he is "following", and the rut is starting up there!

Attachments

• Buck10pt11-21-23-1of2.jpg
    Buck10pt11-21-23-1of2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Buck10pt11-21-23-2of2.jpg
    Buck10pt11-21-23-2of2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 0
We all had a good time opening WE, but with 7 hunters only one of us saw a buck, and my grandnephew harvested it. It was a very nice 9 pt buck.

The only other person to see deer was MechanicMatt. He is a VG hunter, and only saw a couple of does and some tails. When Matt went on his paid hunt in NC, he got 2-9 point bucks and a doe ... none of the other 25 hunters got more than one deer, and the overwhelming majority of them got skunked!

Matt pushed the deer that Chris got, and Chris was in Matt's ladder stand. The stand is on the NE corner of my property, and Matt pushed the 50 acres next door for him. Matt had just started to push the 50 acres when he heard the shot, so the bucks are VERY skittish up there and stay well ahead of you. Most of the bucks seen or taken the last few years have been pushed by someone else.

The other problem we have is "baiting". Someone on the other side of the mountain got busted a couple of years ago ... he brought up thousands of pounds of feed and joked that all the deer for "miles around" were on his property. He still does it, just to a lesser extent. It is likely why we had numerous large bucks on our property trail cams in Sept. that all seem to have disappeared in Oct.

I'm glad that someone in our group at least got one, but hunting up there has been very frustrating (to say the least).
Find the pile with a drone and turn him in!

Squeaking around rules is one thing, blatantly wrecking others hunts is another.

...... The other problem we have is "baiting". Someone on the other side of the mountain got busted a couple of years ago ... he brought up thousands of pounds of feed and joked that all the deer for "miles around" were on his property. He still does it, just to a lesser extent. It is likely why we had numerous large bucks on our property trail cams in Sept. that all seem to have disappeared in Oct.
I was goning to suggest to pen a couple of tame does on your property. That'll draw them bucks back in :laugh: .

More than one have already been caught, and fined, and they continue! If they don't actually catch you hunting over the bait pile, the fines are minimal.

They always say: I don't hunt over that pile, I just wanted to get pictures!

Also, as much as I don't like it, reporting neighbors always has some negative consequences.

This has been going on for years, and just continues to get worse.

It also happens down here. There was a 1,000 acre DEP property I always used to hunt, and took some deer there, but then they disappeared and when I complained to another hunter, he told me that there was a farm next door that was baiting heavily.

Luckily, I have access to a new location locally that has a good number of deer. I think my previous location is recovering from EHD, only a few deer there. (Owner has only seen 1 buck, a doe and a fawn). I'll try to give that location a break.

I saw 4 deer the day I got the doe, and on a previous day I saw 7. Was just hoping one would finally come close enough!

Doing a little Black Friday shopping and came across this at my local farm store:
https://www.ruralking.com/all-seaso...V6yytBh04tg1-EAQYAiABEgIRAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
When I cot there, they were selling this:
View attachment 1129583

Anyone know anything about it? Looked all over the internet for it; couldn't find anything. Made by Martin Lube Co.
I still picked up a 6 pack.
My buddy said the same. CAM2 advertised but something else in its place. He bought some so we'll see. He also mentioned their 27 ton log splitter for $849 with the Kohler motor on it. Looks pretty close to my TSC splitter.

My buddy said the same. CAM2 advertised but something else in its place. He bought some so we'll see. He also mentioned their 27 ton log splitter for $849 with the Kohler motor on it. Looks pretty close to my TSC splitter.
Yes, I saw that too. If I didn't have one already, I'd buy one.

Back