Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing a little Black Friday shopping and came across this at my local farm store:
https://www.ruralking.com/all-seaso...V6yytBh04tg1-EAQYAiABEgIRAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
When I cot there, they were selling this:
View attachment 1129583

Anyone know anything about it? Looked all over the internet for it; couldn't find anything. Made by Martin Lube Co.
I still picked up a 6 pack.
Looks like a good deal, unfortunately I don't have one near me.
I may try to grab a bunch up near one of my stops when I'm in Ohio. Wonder how long the deal is for.
Good thing I have a few left from the last time I bought a bunch.
Screenshot_20231121_145828_Chrome.jpg

I may try to grab a bunch up near one of my stops when I'm in Ohio. Wonder how long the deal is for.
View attachment 1129606
According to the flyer my buddy gave me,through black Friday.

Getting stuff together for hunting Saturday and was making sure the knife was sharp. Bought this thing at a flea market back in the late 70's? Prolly paid no more than $10-20. Just researched the name and see they are now collectable in the $100-200 range :surprised3: The name is Olsen/Sollegen Germany. Field dressed a lot of deer with it and hopefully 1 more Saturday.
20231121_152416.jpg

View attachment 1129606
My Black Friday ad says it ends today. But Brother picked up another Black Friday ad in the store that was dated longer. Don't know if the bar oil was in that ad or not.

Got another picture of the doe before I started skinning and butchering. Pretty good size for a doe, I'm 6'1".

Got it skinned, the shoulders off, backstrap off, then I started losing daylight and it started to rain, so the rest will have to wait.

Temps are above freezing but in the 30s, so the meat will keep.

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_144127416_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231121_144127416_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Doing a little Black Friday shopping and came across this at my local farm store:
https://www.ruralking.com/all-seaso...V6yytBh04tg1-EAQYAiABEgIRAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
When I got there, they were selling this:
View attachment 1129583

Anyone know anything about it? Looked all over the internet for it; couldn't find anything. Made by Martin Lube Co.
I still picked up a 6 pack.
That moment when you find the thin jug on your "bargain chain oil" got punctured in the back of your truck.
:angry: :dumb2:
I've never holed a jug then twice this year, grrr.

Got another picture of the doe before I started skinning and butchering. Pretty good size for a doe, I'm 6'1".

Got it skinned, the shoulders off, backstrap off, then I started losing daylight and it started to rain, so the rest will have to wait.

I actually prefer harvesting a nice, juicy doe over a big, angry, testosterone-addled buck.
They taste way better. 😉

Been snowing here about an inch on the ground

I dont have to bait deer to get them within shooting range. All the Floridiots like to feed them. There are two feeders within sight of my house. I also prefer the does instead of the bucks for eating. When I butcher one, I start with the skinning, I then get the back straps, remove the front shoulders, open the deer and get the sweetmeat and then start stipping out the muscle groups on the hind quarters. I leave the guts in the ribcage and drop the remains in a large hefty trashbag in the garbage can. I then place all the meat in a large cooler full of ice for a week to 10days. As the ice melts it removes all the blood from shot damaged meat and leaves it ready for slicing and packageing. I didnt get to go to the coast hunting last year because I had surgery and I didnt get to go this year because I am still taking infusions. Had one today and only have one more to go. If I hadnt of killed the 8point in Oct 22, I would of been out of deer meat. Just about am anyways. I decided to not kill anything this year, for some reason the deer are not as abundant as they have been in the past. I hav'nt heard anything about CWD being a problem this year and I hav'nt been hearing a lot of gunshots around my house. I hav'nt even seen any pics being posted on fb. Not seeing any in the fields either, which usually hold 10 or 20 just about every evening.

I Bob Kern actually got to scrounge a little!!!
Been crazy busy getting things winter ready and such so I'm about a million pages behind. Grabbed some old white oak I had up in the woods. Wanted to get it down before things started getting soupy. View attachment 1129714
Good to hear from you Bob!
Been wondering how you were doing, ain't heard from you in awhile now.
Nice load of oak 👍

I dont have to bait deer to get them within shooting range. All the Floridiots like to feed them. There are two feeders within sight of my house. I also prefer the does instead of the bucks for eating. When I butcher one, I start with the skinning, I then get the back straps, remove the front shoulders, open the deer and get the sweetmeat and then start stipping out the muscle groups on the hind quarters. I leave the guts in the ribcage and drop the remains in a large hefty trashbag in the garbage can. I then place all the meat in a large cooler full of ice for a week to 10days. As the ice melts it removes all the blood from shot damaged meat and leaves it ready for slicing and packageing. I didnt get to go to the coast hunting last year because I had surgery and I didnt get to go this year because I am still taking infusions. Had one today and only have one more to go. If I hadnt of killed the 8point in Oct 22, I would of been out of deer meat. Just about am anyways. I decided to not kill anything this year, for some reason the deer are not as abundant as they have been in the past. I hav'nt heard anything about CWD being a problem this year and I hav'nt been hearing a lot of gunshots around my house. I hav'nt even seen any pics being posted on fb. Not seeing any in the fields either, which usually hold 10 or 20 just about every evening.
Check if EHD has been in your area. Seems to wipe out pockets of deer. It has played havoc with the deer near where I live, but luckily does not seem to have been a problem upstate at the Cabin.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/ehd.htm

Then there was the trailer to fill. I went back to pick up some previously cut scrounge and found my timberjack. I was wondering where that was. One of the cows had marked it for me :rare2:

20231122_114707.jpg

Then I got loading.

20231122_122252.jpg

Then I was looking around for some more to make up the load. Found this long skinny peppermint that also looked like it had come down last night.

20231122_123122.jpg

Got that sliced up too.

20231122_124525.jpg

20231122_124501.jpg

Ended up with a nice load in the trailer, just shy of 2/3 cord all up. And nice and dry too :sweet:

20231122_130317.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

I Bob Kern actually got to scrounge a little!!!
Been crazy busy getting things winter ready and such so I'm about a million pages behind. Grabbed some old white oak I had up in the woods. Wanted to get it down before things started getting soupy. View attachment 1129714
Dang! You related to KK? That truck is certainly overloaded. How big a truck is it. Mine would be dragging the bumper.

Good morning and happy thanksgiving if I dont chat with ya tomorrow. May god bless you all and your loved ones giving you a great thanksgiving to spend with each other. If you are far from family or they are not around any more I hope you get to spend time the way you enjoy it.

God bless.

And now …….

COFFEE !!

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Back