Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try burning a few greasy pizza boxes. People will call the Fire Dept. saying that you have a chimney fire. I know this from experience of burning them in my stove. I had flames shooting out of my chimney.
Running your flamethrower. I guess that's one way to clean your chimney. :surprised3:

Try burning a few greasy pizza boxes. People will call the Fire Dept. saying that you have a chimney fire. I know this from experience of burning them in my stove. I had flames shooting out of my chimney.
Pizza boxes along with beer boxes and cat food boxes got burnt yesterday. Couldn't burn most of the summer as it was to dry.
20231122_090640.jpg

Hey guys. Hog hunting was good although we didn’t shoot great.

The first night four groups saw zero hogs. Second night we saw 16 and got two. A couple got lucky. Nice thing about head shots is either you have a dead hog or a clean miss.

I got a sow that went about 180#. My friends son got a boar that was about 150#. Boar was in full rut, talk about stink!

For those who haven’t tried it, hog hunting is a lot of fun.

For my 40th, Cowgirl got me/us a trip to a tiny island in Far North Queensland - wild country way up in the tropics. Won't say which island. Awesome fishing etc and considerably above our pay grade, but a special occasion. Towards the end of the week there, found out that the owner of the island had a mate with a helicopter business in FNQ and for a price would organise a trip shooting wild pigs from the chopper. Also the typical Oz rules around firearms don't seem to apply up in that part of the world. I saw some of the footage of blokes pinging pigs from a helicopter - looked amazing!

I'm no expert on feral hogs, but domestic boars always stink bad (inside and out).
When we have to get rid of a breeding boar it either gets buried or becomes dogfood.

They say if you cut them first, most of the stink goes away.....so with wild hogs people just need to shoot off the oysters first and let em off-gas for a few months before harvesting em....lol.
I have eaten many a wild hog. A big boar will smell like pissing on a fire while cooking. In areas where hogs are a nuisance, and hogs are killed by dozens or hundreds each year, the big boars usually become buzzard bait. The sows or piglets are what are harvested for eating. Even harvesting sows, a lot of the meat is thrown away. You remove the back strap and the hind quarters and dump the rest on the buzzard pile. Not practicle if you only kill one or two hogs a year, but when you kill a couple hundred wild pigs a year, you tend to take the choice cuts and throw away the rest. Wild hogs dont contain the same amout of fat as a pen raised hog and that fat is where the stink is kept. Trim the fat off the meat and you get rid of the stink. Same for a bear, trim away the fat if you are going to eat it. Pen raised hogs are usually cut when very young if being raised for the meat, and breeder boars are cut as soon as the sows are bred if you want to fatten to be eaten. Since most of the wild hogs we get endup as sausage, you add fat back to the meat as you grind it. This fat is usually purchased from a butcher or grocery store. My local Ingles cuts pork on Tuesdays and I will buy up 5lbs or so to keep in the freezer for when I make sausage. You cant tell the difference in taste of a wild hog and a tame one doing it this way. Doing it this way, I dont notice the stink. I usually do 25lbs at a time, but have done as much as 600lbs in a day. It takes a lot of people to do 600lbs in a day. Men deboning, women mixing the seasoning and the kids carrying pails of meat to the grinder. We use a 5hp 220v Hobart commercial grinder for that quantity of meat.

Running your flamethrower. I guess that's one way to clean your chimney. :surprised3:
I started burning wood in 1978 in my house. We have never had to clean our chimney. The pipe has always needed to be cleaned but never the chimney. The pipe fills up with burned creosote over a period of every few years. I cleaned the pipe a month ago and took a look up the chimney. Our chimney looked like someone has just cleaned it. My woodstove runs 24/7 usually from November thru March. My first fire of the day is always a really hot one to burn off any creosote that may accumulate in the chimney. So far we have not had any issues with our chimney.

I have eaten many a wild hog. A big boar will smell like pissing on a fire while cooking. In areas where hogs are a nuisance, and hogs are killed by dozens or hundreds each year, the big boars usually become buzzard bait. The sows or piglets are what are harvested for eating. Even harvesting sows, a lot of the meat is thrown away. You remove the back strap and the hind quarters and dump the rest on the buzzard pile. Not practicle if you only kill one or two hogs a year, but when you kill a couple hundred wild pigs a year, you tend to take the choice cuts and throw away the rest. Wild hogs dont contain the same amout of fat as a pen raised hog and that fat is where the stink is kept. Trim the fat off the meat and you get rid of the stink. Same for a bear, trim away the fat if you are going to eat it. Pen raised hogs are usually cut when very young if being raised for the meat, and breeder boars are cut as soon as the sows are bred if you want to fatten to be eaten. Since most of the wild hogs we get endup as sausage, you add fat back to the meat as you grind it. This fat is usually purchased from a butcher or grocery store. My local Ingles cuts pork on Tuesdays and I will buy up 5lbs or so to keep in the freezer for when I make sausage. You cant tell the difference in taste of a wild hog and a tame one doing it this way. Doing it this way, I dont notice the stink. I usually do 25lbs at a time, but have done as much as 600lbs in a day. It takes a lot of people to do 600lbs in a day. Men deboning, women mixing the seasoning and the kids carrying pails of meat to the grinder. We use a 5hp 220v Hobart commercial grinder for that quantity of meat.
I've never tried removing all the fat so I can't disagree.👍

Latest posts

Back