Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The struggle is real. My dad owned an honest to goodness hardware store when I was growing up, and that was one of my earliest jobs - sorting bolt bins. I have to be careful even today when I buy bolts as I can spend lots of time fixing the locations. I don't understand why people can't put bolts back in their proper place.

It does work for me sometimes though. Last month I looked through the wrench bins to find a matching one to complete a set of wrenches I picked up cheap. Probably 25% of them were in the wrong spot. Also found the last spool of rope I wanted recently by searching the nearby boxes.

Note: I hate people.
For the same reason people can't throw their trash in the trash can two feet away, but just toss it on the ground. Brain dead. And yes, always check the adjacent bins.

My dad designed a band sawmill with CAD back in the early 2000s, pretty amazing to see how something is going to work before it's even built.
Yeah I think nowadays I would have also designed the splitter rebuild in CAD since I have access to the software being able to see the parts and make measured drawings is awesome when your putting it together.

Hopefully it isn't one you'd find at Home Depot... especially that one by you off 84. 😉

I was in there Saturday looking for 3/8" X 3" galvanized carriage bolts to use in rebuilding a mail box set up (multiple boxes with the base mounted on a threaded pipe with a flange set in concrete. The bins marked for that size bolt were full of miscellaneous bolts of all descriptions. I dumped the full bins on the counter and managed to find 3 bolts... had to settle for one at 2 1/2" but that was fine as the pipe was significantly out of plumb and I had to shim the top of the flange to level the base. The washer and nut bins were a mixed bag also. Had the same problem on the tool isle with the wrong tools hung up under price tags. Then the cashier couldn't figure out how to get the prices on the fasteners and had to recruit two others for help... Is that store always like that? I've run into mixed up inventory at other locations but that one was by far the worst! Can you suggest a better place to shop around there? 😐

P.S. I still haven't gotten out deer (or any other) hunting this season... too much going on. 🙁
HD is iffy at all the locations . I prefer shopping at Lowe’s if I need to go to a big box store . For bolts and small stuff my first choice is Trading post hardware in liberty ny . Second would be tractor supply .
I actually went to HD in Kingston yesterday bought a 3 drawer base cabinet in unfinished beech wood . They had 4 in stock ,all damaged ,found one that was minor the store manager gave me a 50% discount on it .

I have three, three-point hitch Howard Rotovators, (industrial rototillers) and they really torture the rotor tines that are each bolted on with two grade 8 bolts.

One time on a Sunday I bought 100 grade 8 bolts from Tractor Supply and bolted on a bunch of new tines on one of my Rotavators to get ready for a big job on Monday. Boy was that ever a mistake! Those bolts caused me all kinds of pain-suffering and expense as they failed one by one. Those china TSC bolts are junk!!

I never made THAT mistake again! I stocked up on bolts from my nut/bolt supply house that just sells "quality" American and Canadian fasteners! I've never had even one of their bolts fail, and over the years I've bought a LOT of bolts from them.

SR

Yeah I think nowadays I would have also designed the splitter rebuild in CAD since I have access to the software being able to see the parts and make measured drawings is awesome when your putting it together.
CAD was a great tool for designing machines at the company I retired from. It would show any moving parts that would interfere with other parts on the machine. That saved a lot of money and time before production.

It's HD ... some of the people are good ... others not so much. Most times, they are OK there ... but not always.

It is very close to me, so I use it a lot. If you don't need lumber, Palmer Hardware (on Rte 22 just south of Rte 312) is VG. If I don't need lumber, or something after normal business hours, I go there.
Thank you for the information.

I typically bring the tools and materials I need with me when I'm down that way... the vast majority of what I need I can source from the store where my son works (they have Stihl, Husky and Ferris outdoor power equipment as well as many electrical and plumbing items, paint, lumber, masonry units, etc.). Sometimes when I'm doing a project down there it doesn't work out as planned... For example, I brought lag bolts with me but site conditions dictated longer ones of larger diameter. I made the new wooden parts in my shop at home... even put spar urethane on them, drilled holes for the screws, and ran in the stainless screws to attach the new mail box. I wanted to minimize my time standing on the edge of the road in the cold!

It's not a favorite location to visit for my girlfriend either... When she moved down that way last January she went to HD. While she was carrying a light box out of the store she tripped over an ill located empty pallet near the exit. She broke her knee cap... It took a long time for it to heal and for the pain to subside. She had a house full of moving boxes to unpack so her kids came to town and helped put stuff away. Due to their help she's still trying to find stuff. 😂

HD is iffy at all the locations . I prefer shopping at Lowe’s if I need to go to a big box store . For bolts and small stuff my first choice is Trading post hardware in liberty ny . Second would be tractor supply .
I actually went to HD in Kingston yesterday bought a 3 drawer base cabinet in unfinished beech wood . They had 4 in stock ,all damaged ,found one that was minor the store manager gave me a 50% discount on it .
I buy most stuff at Herzog's... Lowe's and HD are the back up locations! I feel sorry for the shoppers who want to DIY but don't really know what they are looking at... so much merchandise has been "re-shelved" by customers into the wrong place that if you go only by the shelf labeling you're screwed! Herzog's has that re-shelving problem too but their staff actively correct the problem.

My father got a lot of deals at HD over the years by trolling the isles. I think the Cub Cadet zero turn was the best... a customer bought it and returned it as it didn't run right. The manager showed my father it didn't run right. Due to negotiation and a staff error my father got it for $1,500 with a few hours on it. He figured that getting it for a bit more than a third of it's original price made it worth the risk. It turns out that it ran fine with high octane non-ethanal fuel. There was nothing wrong with it!

It's been awhile since I've been on here, hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. The only firewood worthy thing I've done is revamp my DIY splitter.

The old puny 1.5" ram started leaking, and I was never happy with it's power anyway, so upgraded that. The new ram has a 5" bore with a 3.5" rod, meant for a 37 ton splitter. It took quite a bit of modification to fit it, but it's a beast now. Even plowing through some knotty oak with the 4 way.
View attachment 1130991
That new mount is impressive! Makes the rest of the machine look inadequate! 😉

(I meant to quote the CTYank quote)

I'll never forget the time he got too close to Matt splitting wood at a GTG. A piece hit him right in the leg, and he was complaining like a little girl trying to blame it on Matt.

Knowing how much he always admonished folks about not wearing proper safety equipment, I said to him: "You mean you went too close to a guy splitting wood w/o wearing proper safety equipment?" Boy did that shut him up. I don't think he ever spoke to me again (which was a good thing)!

What was that high end axe he always had to have (Granfors Bruks)??? He could not admit that a X-27 (at a fraction of the cost) could out split it!
That was the best ever.....he was there standing WAY too close, not paying attending and talking **** about the other splitting tools being worthless and one of them sent a split flying that walloped him in the shin!!!

I think he had a gransfors and a hultafors. He was also a walking billboard for council tools, and their mauls received terrible reviews from those who bought off his recommendation.
He was an absolute legend….

In his own mind
Exactly. He was so ridiculous with his "view" on life that it was actually funny. He talked smack about everything except his stuff (stock box store poulans and a dolmar) were the greatest thing ever. "Ported saws don't make more power just more noise" was one of his gems lol

I think he may be the first person that put me on ignore around here.

Hi guys, winter is here.

It was 1 degree on my house today although others had as cold as -10 in the area (true temp, not wind chill). We went from fall to winter in a matter of days. Some areas on the big lakes that were open last week already have 5" of ice.

About to get some relief, it is going to be 35 tomorrow.

He talked smack about everything except his stuff (stock box store poulans and a dolmar) were the greatest thing ever.
Even on stuff he had zero experience with. He was pontificating about the explosion risk of OWB's one time so I asked him to explain it in detail. He ran away like a frightened schoolgirl.

Next victim in the morning, i been mulching leaves for four hours then went and brushcutted around the tree so i could see what the heck i was doing. got a lot of limbs not in the pics. gonna break in the 261 on them and get to try out me new stihl canthook and timberjack. trunk is probably over three feet across.

20231128_125443.jpg20231128_125500.jpg

Hi guys, winter is here.

It was 1 degree on my house today although others had as cold as -10 in the area (true temp, not wind chill). We went from fall to winter in a matter of days. Some areas on the big lakes that were open last week already have 5" of ice.

About to get some relief, it is going to be 35 tomorrow.
Hope your cold weather forces some of those birdies down the central flyway. I didn't realize that big a front came through over the weekend because I missed the news. I should have been out Monday or today, but when the temps are in the low to mid 20s and the windchill in the teens, I stay home now that I'm older. I'd be out hunting in it when I was younger. Just can't stand that cold of weather nowadays especially over water.

I looked through the wrench bins to find a matching one to complete a set of wrenches I picked up cheap. Probably 25% of them were in the wrong spot. Also found the last spool of rope I wanted recently by searching the nearby boxes.

Do you have people tell you you’re looking in the wrong place, they’re out of those? I get that sometimes. I’ll say they’re all mixed up, no telling where it’s gonna be.

Second would be tractor supply .

I went there the other day looking for fine thread bolts, they only had coarse thread. A good selection of types: grade 2, grade 5, grade 8, carriage bolts, stainless, but all were coarse thread. :(

Back