Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the same reason people can't throw their trash in the trash can two feet away, but just toss it on the ground. Brain dead. And yes, always check the adjacent bins.
:yes:

my front gate on the FM is an attest to that! but have to admit, i have picked up some pretty interesting stuff! ~

HD is iffy at all the locations . I prefer shopping at Lowe’s if I need to go to a big box store . For bolts and small stuff my first choice is Trading post hardware in liberty ny . Second would be tractor supply .
I actually went to HD in Kingston yesterday bought a 3 drawer base cabinet in unfinished beech wood . They had 4 in stock ,all damaged ,found one that was minor the store manager gave me a 50% discount on it .
TSC hard to beat, imo.... buy nutz n bolts by the pound!

the aisle in big box's bolt section usually a mess! or they repacked ur size needed in a box of 10, triple the price and someone stole 2 out of it.... :nofunny:

I have three, three-point hitch Howard Rotovators, (industrial rototillers) and they really torture the rotor tines that are each bolted on with two grade 8 bolts.

One time on a Sunday I bought 100 grade 8 bolts from Tractor Supply and bolted on a bunch of new tines on one of my Rotavators to get ready for a big job on Monday. Boy was that ever a mistake! Those bolts caused me all kinds of pain-suffering and expense as they failed one by one. Those china TSC bolts are junk!!

I never made THAT mistake again! I stocked up on bolts from my nut/bolt supply house that just sells "quality" American and Canadian fasteners! I've never had even one of their bolts fail, and over the years I've bought a LOT of bolts from them.

SR
noone said they were Grade 8's! lol ;)

I buy most stuff at Herzog's... Lowe's and HD are the back up locations! I feel sorry for the shoppers who want to DIY but don't really know what they are looking at... so much merchandise has been "re-shelved" by customers into the wrong place that if you go only by the shelf labeling you're screwed! Herzog's has that re-shelving problem too but their staff actively correct the problem.

My father got a lot of deals at HD over the years by trolling the isles. I think the Cub Cadet zero turn was the best... a customer bought it and returned it as it didn't run right. The manager showed my father it didn't run right. Due to negotiation and a staff error my father got it for $1,500 with a few hours on it. He figured that getting it for a bit more than a third of it's original price made it worth the risk. It turns out that it ran fine with high octane non-ethanal fuel. There was nothing wrong with it!
or for. i usually have trouble both places finding anyone that can help! HD especially -

i usually just go to my fastener boxes. nuts, bolt, washers, locks, screws, this, that... big little...

my Dad had them, too. i remember him saying... always keep and collect the loose or leftover nuts n bolts. will come in handy some time. i rarely have to go big box for fasteners... i got it here... somewhere's... lol

TSC hard to beat, imo.... buy nutz n bolts by the pound!
Rip off misleading. While I do get 7/8 stuff and it is only in grade 8 the lag bolts or lag screws whatever the correct term is are silver colored and down with the grade 2 stuff but ring up at grade 8 pricing. That is the pricing take it or leave it.

I will post some pictures of the nice scrounging area the town here maintains for us. No need to buy log trucks full of poles or stuff like that.

This is how you plow a field with and two bottom plow and 8 hp,

Resized-20231129-134017.jpg

SR

For something different :rolleyes: we were out by the back "fence" cutting down, bucking, and splitting dead ash today.
KIMG5248.JPG
Our township called Greenfield, should be called ROCKfield...
Neighbor calls that shaggy, peeling bark tree a bitternut... dunno. Allison came up and was splitting and piling. Prolly a face cord today.
KIMG5253.JPG KIMG5252.JPG
Couldn't get the mower and trailer any further, steep uphill. We're working past the corner in the distance, roughing out a woods/CC ski trail as we go. NOT hand carrying logs down snow covered hillsides. Mebby put chains on the mower tires?
KIMG5251.JPG
Tomorrow I'll try with the skidsteer. WAY more ash than I will ever get to waiting out there.

Latest posts

Back