Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... I followed through and gave my 20 month old grandson the My First Fire gift at our family's Christmas Eve gathering... My son and daughter-in-law observed the scene with very concerned, even panicked, looks on their faces. My DIL showed everyone the back of the box before opening it. She and my son both said out loud that the expression looked like my grandson's when he was excited. I had ripped 1/4" strips off an ash board and included them in the box so it looked like firewood. I carefully placed John Deere die cast models of a skid steer, tractor with bucket loader, gator and a lawn tractor in the box with the ash on the opening ends of the box. My grandson was having a blast with pieces of the wood before they realized the toys were in the box. It was a priceless experience for all!
IMG_6377.gif

IMG_6378.gif

IMG_6380.gif

Howdy men. Been minute as life has been nuts for a while. I have done some cutting, but not technically scrounging as it's still laying there. Needed to test a Ms 250c I had repaired for an old friend. Man it was a wreck. Overheated from running lean and or brake issues. Melted plastic everywhere. Scraped enough away to get the drum to come off and get things cleaned up best I could. It's sure not in new condition anymore but it was saved from the scrap yard and is back to work. Had a silver sludge covering the inlet screen. Would idle and rev for a few seconds and then starve out. No idea where the silver sludge came from. IMG_20231218_210619637_HDR.jpg

!HELLO! MY FRIEND... yes i am still alive and kicking abouts... Merry Christmas to all! Steve on a side note i will be officially retired as of midnight 12/31/2023!!! but as we all know once logging/firewood is in the blood(woodchips or two cycle) there's never a giving up chucking wood like a woodchucker! WISHING EVERYONE HERE ON A.S. all the best in the coming year!.. and i will take a "QUART" ANYDAY TO SHARE WITH A GOOD BUNCH OF WOODCHUCKER'S.
Good to hear from you! Merry Christmas and congrats on the retirement.

Bringing up an old issue. When you split a rick, rack, pile, whatever of wood you will come out with a larger, not smaller measure. I know, look at all those big holes. But your new stack has more volume in those all those small holes,. every time you split a pieced you increase the square surface footage of the new piece. I used to estimate the increase as about 10% but it is probably more like 5% or less. There used to be a sticky on the subject.sg
When you’re talking a stack of rounds versus a stack of splits, then yes I absolutely agree with you.

When you are talking 8 foot logs in a pile 4’ wide and 4’ high, thar pile of logs will yield something less than a cord because not only do you have the air space between the rounds, you also have the additional air space created by the fact that no 8’ log is perfectly straight

I heard that our grouse are down in quantity. I haven't done any bird hunting in over 20 years. I know we have a few on the 19 acre woodlot and some rabbits. I see them when using my tractor.
Shoot, I haven't seen a grouse in years, only co ck birds we see are the ones released every year by the game commission. Plenty of rabbits. When they get too thick I start shooting them.

Shoot, I haven't seen a grouse in years, only co ck birds we see are the ones released every year by the game commission. Plenty of rabbits. When they get too thick I start shooting them.
Yeah... I was treasurer for a Ruffed Grouse Society chapter for 10 years. Sadly we didn't have much success in the Hudson Valley and Catskills. In areas owned by NYS or NYC where some grouse still existed RGS couldn't gain access from DEC or DEP to do habitat work... Their biologists and foresters were on board but upper management vetoed the plans. I used to flush grouse and wild pheasants a lot 50 - 60 years ago near my family home... grouse nested on our property and pheasants would drop by. I haven't seen any pheasants there in probably 45 years or grouse in 40 years. I haven't put up a grouse in the Woodstock area in probably 25 years. The habitat is no good for them any more...

While there are numerous predators, like fox, coyote and bobcat, I think the most overlooked (and protected) predators are birds of prey. Hawks are protected and seem to be in the sky perpetually. I think something needs to be done about this. Predators, that are no longer endangered, should not continue to be protected. Would be cool to bring a hawk to the taxidermist!
Set up a wind turbine farm...😒

Latest posts

Back