Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have them . Believe it’s a ruffled have pheasant too View attachment 1138566View attachment 1138567
That's a hen pheasant. They do look sort of like ruffed grouse compared to the cock pheasants... It's cool that you have them around. Is there a release site or breeding farm somewhere near you? It's rare that pheasants breed in this part of the state... predation, the lack of mates, and inadequate habitat are all factors. There are wild birds in some areas on LI and in the southern tier and western part of NY. The habitat issue is bad enough in the Catskills that DEC stopped stocking sites such as Colgate Lake near Jewett, NY. The last time I hunted there I flushed a grouse. There were some near there at the Camp Tri-Mount Boy Scout camp. Some woodcock at the camp too... The habitat there has been in decline for 50+ years as the old farm fields have turned into mature forest.

Here's a ruffed grouse. Note the feathered legs and the crest on the grouse's head. The adult grouse are also much smaller than adult pheasants.
1703521162736.png

Cool! It's just in time for the last week of muzzle loader season in NY... that starts tomorrow! If all goes well I'll get out for that... it will be the first time this year for any type of hunting due to other obligations.

Regarding grouse. They are very cyclical bird. Normally on a ten-year cycle although some people say it’s a seven year cycle.

We have a lot of them up here in the good years… I’ve had times where I’ve limited out within 3 miles of travel. In the down years, you will see a couple for the whole fall. Historically, the years ending in eight, nine, and zero are the peak years. This year we had a very successful hatch, because we had a very warm, dry spring. Wet, cold springs kill the chicks very quickly. I’m always surprised at how quick and nimble the little chicks are. They look like baby puffballs and can fly.

We do not have wild pheasants up here, but there is a pheasant farm about 20 miles away, and there is a sustaining population of feral birds from their escapees. So in theory they could survive our winters although the very cold days can kill them-supposedly something about their bills freezing up from moisture.

We have spruce grouse around, which are normally only present in the swamps, but occasionally you’ll find one elsewhere. More or less the same size as a grouse but gray. They also have a darker meat that is quite tasty although some people say grouse is better.

We do have some grasslands around that will hold sharptails. I cannot say for sure that I’ve ever seen one but I’ve seen some large birds at a distance that probably were them.

Cool! It's just in time for the last week of muzzle loader season in NY... that starts tomorrow! If all goes well I'll get out for that... it will be the first time this year for any type of hunting due to other obligations.
I used the old smoke pole last year to fill a doe tag, this year if I can’t get the new one dialed in, she’ll be put back to work

After dragging the doe last year with out a sling, I made sure to buy one for it this year
IMG_5108.jpeg

That's a hen pheasant. They do look sort of like ruffed grouse compared to the cock pheasants... It's cool that you have them around. Is there a release site or breeding farm somewhere near you? It's rare that pheasants breed in this part of the state... predation, the lack of mates, and inadequate habitat are all factors. There are wild birds in some areas on LI and in the southern tier and western part of NY. The habitat issue is bad enough in the Catskills that DEC stopped stocking sites such as Colgate Lake near Jewett, NY. The last time I hunted there I flushed a grouse. There were some near there at the Camp Tri-Mount Boy Scout camp. Some woodcock at the camp too... The habitat there has been in decline for 50+ years as the old farm fields have turned into mature forest.

Here's a ruffed grouse. Note the feathered legs and the crest on the grouse's head. The adult grouse are also much smaller than adult pheasants.
View attachment 1138595
Cool . There are males too as in the 80s the owner used to release them here and would have hunts in the fall I’m guessing that some survived . Last fall I saw two in my yard

Back