Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been up Washington, many a times , the weather up there change from , good to bad real quickly, a lot of people have lost there lives , because of it ,
I believe Mt. Washington has the wind gust record?

I went to school at RIT (Rochester NY) and the lake effect wind there was brutal and could often stop you in your tracks.

Unpredictable high winds, combined with cold weather, can be very dangerous.

When up at school I remember all the roads in the County being closed for 3 days, and reports of folks freezing to death in their cars. Even if the plow went by, the wind filled the road back up with snow before the plow disappeared from sight. Was brutal stuff!

I believe Mt. Washington has the wind gust record?

I went to school at RIT (Rochester NY) and the lake effect wind there was brutal and could often stop you in your tracks.

Unpredictable high winds, combined with cold weather, can be very dangerous.

When up at school I remember all the roads in the County being closed for 3 days, and reports of folks freezing to death in their cars. Even if the plow went by, the wind filled the road back up with snow before the plow disappeared from sight. Was brutal stuff!
234 mph I think it was , thereā€™s a lot of people who train for Everest go there , because of the weather and climate, conditions can be brutal, thereā€™s three different weather systems that converge over Washington and surrounding mountains, two men pasted away in June back in the late 90ā€™s because of a freak snow storm , they got stuck, couldnā€™t make it down,

Come on ground and freeze up. I have wood to bring in. This weather really is crazy. Almost 50 here yesterday. 34 this morning.
Same boat here. We got a lot done a couple weeks ago but frost is back out now, was raking some rough dirt three days ago. Looking better by weeks end.

Iā€™m 5ā€™11ā€ (or 5ā€™10 3/4ā€ when I havenā€™t been to the chiropractor for a while). Dated one gal 5ā€™10ā€ and another 6ā€™. Tall women definitely command a presence.

I once had a female coworker who was 6ā€™1ā€ and stunning (she was originally from Russia and had immigrated here. Married a very rich Russian guy who had also immigrated here.) She was actually a model in a previous career. One time I traveled to a conference with her and two other guys who were quite a bit shorter than me. We looked ridiculous with three young (at the time) short dudes and this tall stunning woman. Also, she always was dressed impeccably and wore high heels.

234 mph I think it was , thereā€™s a lot of people who train for Everest go there , because of the weather and climate, conditions can be brutal, thereā€™s three different weather systems that converge over Washington and surrounding mountains, two men pasted away in June back in the late 90ā€™s because of a freak snow storm , they got stuck, couldnā€™t make it down,
It was 231 in 1934. A guy rode a small avalanche on Washington over the weekend while skiing. I don't think he was injured.

There is good money to be made in gunstock blanksā€¦. especially 100% tight curl.
I was shocked to learn that Louisville Slugger bats were manufactured in Hancock NY! Likely trees from my property (formerly owned by Mallery Lumber) were used for bat production and used my many of the greats (Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.).

I currently have access to Black Walnut (down here), and Black Cherry and Ash (upstate), (not sure if Ash is good for stocks, but I know the other two are). If you are interested in some blanks, let me know and give me the dimensions you want. Otherwise, it will likely be used for other stuff in the Spring. I'm thinking of doing some projects with Ash butcher blocked with either of the other two. Would be nice contrast.

I also have 2 HUGE Sugar Maple logs that I have not milled yet! (see picture)

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_130900457_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231024_130900457_HDR.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Come on ground and freeze up. I have wood to bring in. This weather really is crazy. Almost 50 here yesterday. 34 this morning.
I have 2 places to get wood from, one isn't accessible at all when the field access is wet, the other I can get to the pile reasonable well but it's too soft to load the trailer without leaving deep rutts. Let alone skidding the logs with the winch on to the trailer, really digs up the yard. Need a good freeze for sure.

Jim, YES!! We need some sustained freezing temps so we can move wood instead of tearing up the ground

Chipper, when I started dating my wife all my buddies asked me what she saw in me, all I could think of was ā€œI make her laughā€, a great personality is key to making women happy

IMG_4481.pngIMG_2093.jpeg

Jim, YES!! We need some sustained freezing temps so we can move wood instead of tearing up the ground

Chipper, when I started dating my wife all my buddies asked me what she saw in me, all I could think of was ā€œI make her laughā€, a great personality is key to making women happy

View attachment 1138779View attachment 1138780
Well done Matt. It also takes a good woman to recognize a good man. On the flipside, many "girls" want to chase the bad boys even though they repeatedly crap on them....their loss for missing out on the good guys like us!

SVK, over the years I have witnessed many times how women with men who abuse them (or treat them like crap) cling to them like they are the best things on the planet, and women with men who treat them well will often leave them! I've seen it play out many times, and I have no explanation!

Latest posts

Back