Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And WOOD ASHES!!
Saw this from Wisconsin U today;
Toasty warm winter fires sometimes leave us with a surplus of wood ash and many gardeners wonder if the ash is beneficial as a garden soil amendment. Wood ash can be a valuable addition to soils, when used appropriately. Wood ash contains a significant amount of calcium and potassium as well as smaller amounts of magnesium, phosphorus, and sulfur. Caution must be used when applying wood ash as a soil amendment as ash tends to increase soil pH (making the soil more alkaline) which may be detrimental in some Wisconsin soils and for acid-loving plants (think blueberry, azalea, birch, red maple, pin oak). Learn more about how to correctly use wood ash in the garden in our UW Fact Sheet: https://bit.ly/3RMC5ns

Does he own a rifle? He could have stopped that real quick. I don't mean by putting a hole in him. I mean honeycombing his truck.
Yes, he has lots off them. I understand what you mean. The only thing is his son is just out of rehab. If he riddled the truck, his doped up son might have pulled one of his AR's and riddled his Dad. It's a shame. Just a year ago this kid was the most pleasant, polite, respectful person you ever talked to. It's just sad what that crap can do to someone.

Took another load out today. All of the easy stuff is now gone. All that’s left is the monster stuff and crotches/notches. Going to move these two loads up into my drying area in the back of the property on Saturday and rethink my plan and attack next week. Need to sharpen up some chain too!
Careful with cutting up that log in the the third pic with the houses. Judging by the black stain, you're going to find some iron in it.

He says that about my wood too 😭
Didn't mean to upset you by speaking my mind :laugh: . I never learned how to be PC. Got me in trouble more times than I can remember.:laugh:. It just surprises me you can get usable firewood from that buggy stuff. The bonus to your wood is that's its dry or nearly so and probably ready to burn.

Yeah.... I've been servicing the fleet of snowblowers for the family... The forecast amounts have increased again so they will probably get used. I think I used mine once last year and thought my no-snow insurance (aka new snowblower) was going to make this a no snow year. 😉
Sounds like me with my snowblower last year. I used it once over at the farm to do the sidewalks. I just fired it up and it is right inside the barn door itching to blow snow. My Fisher plow is on my truck. Next thing after lunch is to take off the chipper on the tractor and put the grader blade and chains on it.

https://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/d/ashburnham-cut-off-saw-rig/7693544820.html
Opps I did not think it posted. No way to get hurt here if you could get it going.

Cut off saw rig 1

00k0k_gR3HTZlY6Fa_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

00F0F_9nCaMkIDOU7_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

00f0f_7kGEwJZxXIm_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

00X0X_hH53gjaT0U7_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

00J0J_9pu9IuBzW1X_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

00M0M_6jtaDGcZhlf_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

00m0m_cqfFsEqpRkV_07K0ak_600x450.jpg

Cut off saw rig 1 thumbnail Cut off saw rig 2 thumbnail Cut off saw rig 3 thumbnail Cut off saw rig 4 thumbnail Cut off saw rig 5 thumbnail Cut off saw rig 6 thumbnail Cut off saw rig 7 thumbnail Cut off saw rig 8 thumbnail
Not too far from me but I already have a 3pth one.

Yes, he has lots off them. I understand what you mean. The only thing is his son is just out of rehab. If he riddled the truck, his doped up son might have pulled one of his AR's and riddled his Dad. It's a shame. Just a year ago this kid was the most pleasant, polite, respectful person you ever talked to. It's just sad what that crap can do to someone.
I didn't think druggies could legally own forearms.

Cut and bucked a 12"DBH SDA the other night, hauled to the wood rack, split, and stacked today.
Used it as an A-B comparison 'tween the Task 8lb and the X27
Both have their points, wife likes the X27. If I was only taking one to the woods it would be the 8lb
It just has more uumph in knotty wood and less likely to get stuck, the thinner X27 is more likely to go just deep enough to be stuck, the Task either doesn't go deep, or finishes the job. Also thought the handle on the 8 had more cush and I don't care for the big hook on the end of the XS27 handle.
But either is a good tool. Anyways a nice Saturday morning warm up. Mebby a face cord added to the racks.
The other day we went to a friends house bucked and split some oak a tree service had dropped. the gals were using an X25, the X27 and I had the 8lb. Guess all three of us had the best tool...
KIMG5517.JPGKIMG5524.JPG

PS bought a RW Rugged Wear® Men's Brown Duck Heavy-Duty Contractor Coat from Menards $60, a couple weeks ago. Been using it for rough dirty WORK and happy so far. I tend to wear out coats and Didn't think my last Carhartt was enough better wearing for the price difference.
KIMG5522.JPG

Didn't mean to upset you by speaking my mind :laugh: . I never learned how to be PC. Got me in trouble more times than I can remember.:laugh:. It just surprises me you can get usable firewood from that buggy stuff. The bonus to your wood is that's its dry or nearly so and probably ready to burn.
1st year in after we built I was cleaning up wood from the stump pile and lots of it was punky. I would start with dry stuff and add the punky stuff later for overnights. Saw lots of black ants running out of the wood but they burned up just fine. My wife can't stand ants so she wouldn't look but the boy in me had to watch it.

Latest posts

Back