Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accuweather is saying it’s currently cloudy with no precipitation in my area till 3 pm :omg: .
It's snowing heavily here. I saw NYSDOT trucks loaded with salt go by... It's just passing out of the freezing temps now and steadily warming up into the 50s over night. What's up with the salt??

It's snowing heavily here. I saw NYSDOT trucks loaded with salt go by... It's just passing out of the freezing temps now and steadily warming up into the 50s over night. What's up with the salt??
Roads stay colder longer . Runoff from the rain can freeze on the road surface.

Roads stay colder longer . Runoff from the rain can freeze on the road surface.
I don't disagree... but the roads around here are still covered with salt from the weekend and it's going into the high 30s by rush hour and 50s overnight. The heavy snow coming down now is melting on the roads and even my untreated sidewalks. The schools jumped on the band wagon... closed for the afternoon. Going full retired guy... we never had delays or early closings and the schools were seldom closed. That was back when they used sand, if anything... no salt... and cars were rear wheel drive. My uncle bought an International Scout when they came out and that was an anomaly! When it snowed the school Superintendent used to go out and drive around to see how the roads were early in the morning. He lived on the other end of the street where I lived... He used that street as part of his test route as it had hills, narrow spots, and a tight uphill turn. Gotta wonder how the decisions are made today! 🤪

Snow conditions will vary.

Honestly I would rather take the cold dry snow (which is what most of MN snowfall is) than than the wet snowfall that you guys south of the great lakes get. Road conditions are much more predictable than wet snow that may be slippery or frozen.

Then you northeast guys also have to deal with many more changes in elevation and conditions vary wildly. When we moved there I was always wondering why school was cancelled when our roads were very good. The edges of the county were nearly 2000 feet higher than us so there were about 4 different types of road conditions from the river up to the tops of the hills.

I did like being a bit further south though when the sun had enough strength to dry out the roads after the snow stopped. Up here we have compacted snow and ice from early December to mid March in a normal winter.

I guess it is still good morning to most of you guys.

I'm a SEC football fan after living down there a few stints so didn't really care about last night's game. I do think Georgia would've stomped either of those teams if they hadn't been Saban'ed a few weeks back. The four team playoff system is and was broken and I am glad there will be a larger playoff bracket going forward.

Same thing happened to the guy I worked for. Gave an 066 to someone working with him and he set it down on the ground when he was done. Sawyer didn't see it and ran over it with a Cat.
I've actually never smashed a saw on a landing. I've seen others get their saws smashed like that though. However, ☝️ I have smashed a saw or two weight testing timber or trying to modify the shape of my wrap handle. 🤔 For some reson it never really worked out like I had planned. 😄
😉

I've actually never smashed a saw on a landing. I've seen others get their saws smashed like that though. However, ☝️ I have smashed a saw or two weight testing timber or trying to modify the shape of my wrap handle. 🤔 For some reson it never really worked out like I had planned. 😄
😉
Sounds like u need more practice. :laughing:

So I was cleaning out my phone and found this old screenshot from the upstate New York gtg a few years back (maybe 2015 ish).

Mechanic Matt is the guy splitting wood. The stiff looking dude with the helmet on (Notice he is not paying attention to the splitting) is ctyank who was the resident grumpy old man (and Fiskars hater) of this group for many years. This is shortly before he took a split to the shin while smack talking Matt’s choice of splitting tool. ;)

IMG_5873.jpeg

😉
The brake and the handle are a bit tweaked on my 462 because I put it in a safe place and had a log roll :rare2:. It basically made the handle a bit more like running a 460/461, at least I still have spring AV lol.

So I was cleaning out my phone and found this old screenshot from the upstate New York gtg a few years back (maybe 2015 ish).

Mechanic Matt is the guy splitting wood. The stiff looking dude with the helmet on (and not paying attention) is ctyank who was the resident grumpy old man of this group for many years. This is shortly before he took a split to the shin while smack talking Matt’s choice of splitting tool. ;)

View attachment 1142761
Should've had his screen down :laugh:. Do you know who he's talking to, he looks familiar.
We got a thing called the Detroit lean when you're driving(you know, the gangsta lean), looks like Matt's got the NY lean going on there :chop:.

The brake and the handle are a bit tweaked on my 462 because I put it in a safe place and had a log roll :rare2:. It basically made the handle a bit more like running a 460/461, at least I still have spring AV lol.
So my neighbor was getting his scrounge on bucking a log 3' diameter 20' long into rounds. He had it held up off the ground with a smaller sized Kubota track hoe. Hydraulics slowly bleeding off and the log slipped out of the hoe's grasp. He was dawged in good at the moment with his 661C. When the log dropped, it immediately rolled ripping the saw out of his hands with it. Smashed the air intake up a bit as well as the pistol grip. He dropped it off to me a couple weeks ago for repairs. I called Madsen's and they don't have service manuals or exploded assembly drawings of the 661. He said I should be able to find it all on line. Any of you guys know anything about that or have any ideas?
Any info would help Gents.👍 He's probably gonna be wanting his saw back sooner or later. 🤣

So my neighbor was getting his scrounge on bucking a log 3' diameter 20' long log into rounds. He had it held up of the ground with a smaller sized Kubota track hoe. Hydraulics slowly bleeding off and the log slipped out of the hoe's grasp. He was dawged in good at the moment with his 661C. When the log dropped, it immediately rolled ripping the saw out of his hands with it. Smashed the air intake up a bit as well as the pistol grip. He dropped it off to me a couple weeks ago for repairs. I called Madsen's and they don't have service manuals or exploded assembly drawings of the 661. He said I should be able to find it all on line. Any of you guys know anything about that or have any ideas?
Any info would help Gents.👍 He's probably gonna be wanting his saw back sooner or later. 🤣
@ray benson help is on the way.

Latest posts

Back