Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what you get for reading the instructions. Guys don't do that. Let me know when you have all that cast iron ready to ship. :yes:
i have a very large collection of cast iron. neighbor died, he was always using it camping, boy scout leader, family was tossing it all out! i just happened by at the right time.' sure, u can have it, was going to dump!'

as i pulled up with my wheelbarrow, they wheelbarrowed more out....

sometimes ya just get lucky!

they just showed pet's water dish on tv news weather here. frozen solid! pooch inside... it's the law here in weather like this!
A bit of old homesteader wisdom. Despite all the bleeding hearts that think we should bring all of our pigs , sheep, chickens etc in the house and get silly laws passed, most animals are fine! Yes, SOME animals who are in an area they aren't designed for need special care - duh.
That's why out little short haired dog has an insulated area with a heat source. Our farm dog will have nothing to do with it. He just lays in the snow unless it's storming real bad then he might go to the porch.
As far as live stock, the proof is in the pudding. People who go off the rails and lock everything up in heated barns fight pneumonia and loose livestock over it. I never have. Everything on the place has shelter with dry bedding open to them 24/7 but seldom take advantage except feeding time. They get fresh water once a day and quickly learn to drink before it freezes. They obviously aren't too desperate as they NEVER go straight to the water like animals do when they are dehydrated. If I were to see one panicky over water , of course I'd go to twice a day but once is more than enough.
People need to educate themselves before they go tripping out on others.

A bit of old homesteader wisdom. Despite all the bleeding hearts that think we should bring all of our pigs , sheep, chickens etc in the house and get silly laws passed, most animals are fine! Yes, SOME animals who are in an area they aren't designed for need special care - duh.
That's why out little short haired dog has an insulated area with a heat source. Our farm dog will have nothing to do with it. He just lays in the snow unless it's storming real bad then he might go to the porch.
As far as live stock, the proof is in the pudding. People who go off the rails and lock everything up in heated barns fight pneumonia and loose livestock over it. I never have. Everything on the place has shelter with dry bedding open to them 24/7 but seldom take advantage except feeding time. They get fresh water once a day and quickly learn to drink before it freezes. They obviously aren't too desperate as they NEVER go straight to the water like animals do when they are dehydrated. If I were to see one panicky over water , of course I'd go to twice a day but once is more than enough.
Yes

You should see people lose their minds over pics of sled dogs outside.

Cast iron is perfectly safe to use on flat top stoves.

With that being said if you drag a hot skillet across the glass you'll be moving into the shop as they may scratch. Also due to their weight, if you were to accidentally drip a skillet onto the glass it may break it (especially if the glass is hot). Additionally, use extra caution with older iron that has a heat ring on the bottom as you are concentrating the heat to a smaller section of the glass. But they are perfectly safe to use.

Or you can give them to your buddies who collect iron. ;)

We've been using cast iron on a glass top range for 5 years now with no issues at all.....not being any more careful than we would on a regular electric stove.....go for it!👍
You two are no help at all. Can't you see I'm trying to do the poor guy a favor by taking all his unused cast iron. :drinkingcoffee:

View attachment 1144284
Winter showed up. Winds are fairly vicious and lake effect snow expected for a couple days. First time I have started the tractor since I took the mowing deck off and put the blower on!
Nice rig. had mine out last weekend for the 1st storm that was14" got it at the end of the storm. Snow blower ate it up. Had to take the forks off that I use to move IBC toes of wood around and put on the bucket to push snow.tractor chains.jpg

Also if you guys have those Dutch ovens with feet and want to use them in your oven or stovetop, you can "de-feet" them. I have cut the feet off with a cut off wheel then smoothed with a grinding wheel followed but reseasoning the piece so it does not rust.

I'll look and see if I have any pics to share.

Be sure to not do this to old/collectible ovens that may have collector value.

This all reminds me of the fiasco with the neighbors horse. The story goes like this....
Wife calls about 2:00 p and says sonny , the neighbors horse is out. She's scared of them so I told her to just dump some feed in the round pen and shut the gate after he goes in. I'd be home in a little over an hour and would walk him home. Good plan right?????
2:20 pm I get a call that the sheriff's at the house threatening to confiscate " our horse" because a passersby who was a self proclaimed equine expert called in about a poor ,skinny horse locked up in a pen with nothing to eat and no water!
I explained to Mr dogooder with a badge that he was a competitive horse and was overweight if anything an he could verify that with doc Thomas the vet if he wanted. I also of course had to explain that he had got loose from our neighbor and had only been in there 20 minutes and I was to be home shortly to take him back home. I was seeing red!
Those who know the least , flap their traps the most!

Amen!

All this egg talk.....how ours came out of the shells this morning.....mostly frozen!View attachment 1144734
yep I hate to loose eggs frozen cracked shell. Iput out rubber water tubs with 80 watt heaters. They keep warm all snuggled up together on the roost.
I had a Lab that went out in the snow to nap. she would go swimming in a pond with ice. She followed the stream to an open edge. She came out with steam pouring off.

If I had to guess my wife's lineage I'd say there's some Russian, Sicilian,Irish and maybe throw in and little viking wherever they came from.She is one tough little gal that could probably put one of kk's Kodiak's to flight with her wooden spoon! Soft spoken in general but man don't get her riled up! I told her she was cute when she was mad once and it was a near death experience!
She doesn't seem to appreciate the term
" saucy little mare" either!! On the up side , I discovered I can still run pretty fast when necessary!

One time when Cowgirl was cranky at me about something I went with "Don't you think you're being just a little bit irrational"?

She nearly fell over laughing :laugh: . Could have gone either way though :oops:

yep I hate to loose eggs frozen cracked shell. Iput out rubber water tubs with 80 watt heaters. They keep warm all snuggled up together on the roost.
I had a Lab that went out in the snow to nap. she would go swimming in a pond with ice. She followed the stream to an open edge. She came out with steam pouring off.
Yep my last shepherd/ lab would hike with me in the winter. Everytime he found a spot not iced over he would splash and play like a pup, totally submerged at times except his head. Then he'd jump out , shake and go about his day.

Latest posts

Back