Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was outta the office for a few early hours this morning, this was my view…

But more excitingly for me, my wife made it home safely today

So relieved, I was worried all day
I had maybe 2-3 inches here. Schools were closed... they plowed my street twice and salted. I used a shovel on my walks and around the vehicles and other obstacles. I couldn't resist using the new snowblower on the bulk of the driveway. 🤩

I didn't mention my monday..... dad called me at 8am. Which I was still in bed. (Wife and I stayed up late Sunday night, drank a bit etc...😁) said a tree blew down in his lane, and mom couldn't get to work without driving through the neighbors field. Told him, ok I'll be over in a little. Tossed the ms400 and gz4000 in the expedition, saw box, gas can and a jug of oil. (No straps rope or chains.)
Headed over there. Here this tree (should have taken a picture of it, don't know what kind if tree it is, smooth ish black bark, grows real tall, but it's super light and burns like paper.) Fell over into one of the half dead locust trees, took out half the top of the locust and got hung up in a branch about as big around as my arm. Dumb thing just up rooted in the wind and wet. Took a few minutes to sink in I didn't bring any rigging with me, since dad said it was across the lane. Went and dug around in dad's shop, found this 8" 25 foot long strap, some decent cargo chain (id guess about 20 footer.) And the only clevis he kept, when he gave me all his rigging stuff a few months ago. His buddy showed up by that time, so I got him down in the field (dad's field) got the chain and strap hooked up. Made a few questionable cuts to get the root ball, free. And got out of the way, when he started pulling. Worked out pretty good. The tree came right out of the locust. Root ball went back in its hole. Bucked up the junk tree. (Dad insisted we was going to burn it for heat.) Got it moved back to his shop, then went back out to clean up all the smaller branches. Talked with dad a decent bit about taking down some.more trees along the lane as well. There are 8 odd real big locust that should really come down, and a bunch of other junk trees like the one that fell over that need to come down.

Uncle Mike, worked on securing a dump trailer for hauling the wood home from Joes farm

I wanna do a good job to secure that we get priority to hunt it next year. I’ll probably even grab that excavator of my other buddies to take out the stumps for him.

It’s nice having it right in my backyard

Uncle Mike, worked on securing a dump trailer for hauling the wood home from Joes farm

I wanna do a good job to secure that we get priority to hunt it next year. I’ll probably even grab that excavator if my other buddies to take out the stumps for him.

It’s nice having it right in my backyard
Good luck. Nothing like having a great spot close by. The good Lord has blessed me with a bunch of ground I could walk to if I wanted!! Only 1 other fella has rights there and we get along great. Always communicating where we will be and even use each other's stands on occasion.
The best thing is having help dragging if needed. I usually get spine shots since I hate tracking and if successful, I can go get the truck and drive right to the deer. If it doesn't work out that way, it's kinda handy that he is a 6'3" two big Mac meal eating kinda fella!

I didn't mention my monday..... dad called me at 8am. Which I was still in bed. (Wife and I stayed up late Sunday night, drank a bit etc...😁) said a tree blew down in his lane, and mom couldn't get to work without driving through the neighbors field. Told him, ok I'll be over in a little. Tossed the ms400 and gz4000 in the expedition, saw box, gas can and a jug of oil. (No straps rope or chains.)
Headed over there. Here this tree (should have taken a picture of it, don't know what kind if tree it is, smooth ish black bark, grows real tall, but it's super light and burns like paper.) Fell over into one of the half dead locust trees, took out half the top of the locust and got hung up in a branch about as big around as my arm. Dumb thing just up rooted in the wind and wet. Took a few minutes to sink in I didn't bring any rigging with me, since dad said it was across the lane. Went and dug around in dad's shop, found this 8" 25 foot long strap, some decent cargo chain (id guess about 20 footer.) And the only clevis he kept, when he gave me all his rigging stuff a few months ago. His buddy showed up by that time, so I got him down in the field (dad's field) got the chain and strap hooked up. Made a few questionable cuts to get the root ball, free. And got out of the way, when he started pulling. Worked out pretty good. The tree came right out of the locust. Root ball went back in its hole. Bucked up the junk tree. (Dad insisted we was going to burn it for heat.) Got it moved back to his shop, then went back out to clean up all the smaller branches. Talked with dad a decent bit about taking down some.more trees along the lane as well. There are 8 odd real big locust that should really come down, and a bunch of other junk trees like the one that fell over that need to come down.
So, all that wouldn’t fit in your Mustang?
🤣

Nice stove. What is it?
It is a Harman and has been our primary heat source for 20 years.

When they ran the natural gas line past the front of my house, I went for it.

I like that the stove has a milli volt thermostat that runs off the pilot light, so the stove will come on even if the power is out! I keep a couple of deep cycle Lithium Iron batteries and an inverter for the fan operation. I like being independent of the electric company.

It is a Harmon and has been our primary heat source for 20 years.

I like that the stove has a milli volt thermostat that runs off the pilot light, so the stove will come on even if the power is out! I keep a couple of deep cycle Lithium Iron batteries and an inverter for the fan operation. I like being independent of the electric company.
Us too on the independence thing. That's why we chose a big fisher stove. No fans, no controls just two mechanical dampers and a whole bunch of heat. We use box fans to help distribute the heat sometimes but not often. I don't like listening to them. Besides , we have a 7 yr old and he flys around the house so fast he keeps the air circulation thing going all by himself!!

Especially if it had a 348 in it.

You guys all talking about the 348, I never heard any cool songs about the 348, but….
That big brother of it, the 4 0 9

That one….

Giddy up, Giddy up
My 63 SS came from the factory with a 409 in it.

But, when it came to me it had a 283 under the hood, so I bought a 58 for 75 bucks from the aunt of a guy I worked with and then took the 348 tri power out and put it in the 63.

SR

Chains are your friends... No one likes them, especially other drivers while you are driving slow with them, or searching for a place to un-chain. I always wanted to try those tire socks. Any one have experience with them ?
I've heard from coworkers that they are next to useless in ideal conditions, and worse than useless in the rest.
Now that you mentioned that, anyone ever seen a Tilly metering lever gauge?? I have the walbro and zama , but never could find a tillotson.
Tillotson carbs are e-z, all you need is a straight edge like a raker file. If they have little raised nubs by the lever you set them to that height. If they don't, set it level with the carb body is what I recall. Might be a little off, but in any case my raker file has done a dandy job of setting up my Tillotson carbs.

It is commonly used in 'gourmet' pet food here as well. Most people here won't eat it, not because it isn't good but they think it won't be any good. Some won't eat it because they think kangaroos are cute, some because it is on the national coat of arms. Just like most Australians won't use a tree that isn't a eucalypt for firewood because it couldn't possibly be any good :rare2:. Silly really. There are millions of them, they taste great, they're lean as anything but no-one wants to eat them.

Stihl, keeps them cheap for me 👍

It is a Harmon and has been our primary heat source for 20 years.

Looks like they only make pellet stoves now. Too bad. Mite be because the founder of the company sold out in 2007. Oh well getting one was a nice thot.
Time to get back to my morning routine. :drinkingcoffee:

Looks like they only make pellet stoves now. Too bad. Mite be because the founder of the company sold out in 2007. Oh well getting one was a nice thot.
Time to get back to my morning routine. :drinkingcoffee:
My frugal :innocent: buddy has a couple of Harmon pellet stoves. Really likes them. The co is about an hour north of us and we went to a guys place that worked there for sometime to buy parts. He ended up buying a prototype stove the guy had and parts. I think he shelled out about $1,000 and told he me just the parts were worth that. I see used stoves pop up on marketplace and Craigslist for 2-3 grand. I'll keep an eye out for gas ones.

Latest posts

Back