Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrounged a bit of ironwood today. A first for me.
Hope is burns as good as they say. BTUs rated above everything in my area except hedge.

The app I used says they only get about 35' tall, so I guess this was a decent sized one even though it was only about 10-12" dbh.

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3275.jpeg
    IMG_3275.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3273.jpeg
    IMG_3273.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Well aware of that . No reason too at this point Iā€™ll have to pay tax no matter if it take direct distributions or roll it over . Like I said I have no reason to take distributions . I donā€™t need the money to live I may need some of it if I buy some more property which is in my radar in the next 5 years . Looking for a warmer climate to winter but as long as my mom is here I have to stay , she turns 90 in April . Still lives at home and loads her stove every day and has complete mobility and all her faculties still . My gripe is that they make you take money out at 73 even if you donā€™t want it .
Lets try this again:
If you put it in a Roth you do NOT have to take distributions at any age. You take out whatever you want whenever you want or not at all.

That takes care of your gripe.

View attachment 1147742
Found a couple of these guys hiding in the stacks. I've seen them warm up and come to life inside.
View attachment 1147743
Today's workout at the firewood gym. 40 trips down under the deck, up the stairs. If I burned that much every day, I'd sure be in shape!
Got 2 the other day transferring wood to the back porch. They are queens. Kill them and have a lot fewer yellowjackets come spring šŸ˜€

Lets try this again:
If you put it in a Roth you do NOT have to take distributions at any age. You take out whatever you want whenever you want or not at all.

Unfortunately, although you are allowed to convert an IRA (or other retirement plan) to a Roth, you can NOT do it with your RMD, and it is a taxable event.

The beauty of a Roth is the gains are not taxable (if you meet the conditions) and like you say, no mandatory redemptions. It can also go to your beneficiaries' tax free (when you pass).

Years ago, the wife wanted me to pre-pay the mortgage. I told her (with the low rate) that was foolish. Instead, I invested that money in a Roth every year. The Roth is currently worth a lot more than the mortgage balance, so if I wanted to pay it off I could.

Scrounged a bit of ironwood today. A first for me.
Hope is burns as good as they say. BTUs rated above everything in my area except hedge.

The app I used says they only get about 35' tall, so I guess this was a decent sized one even though it was only about 10-12" dbh.
There are 2 trees that are known as Ironwood ... Blue Beach and Hop Hornbeam. What you have there is Hop Hornbeam, which is also known as Lever-wood. It is excellent for making tool handles. As the second nickname implies, it is very tough to break!

It is high BTUs and is very slow growing. Does not get really big but can get over 12". I have a decent amount of it on my property in the Catskills. The majority of it is smaller than 6", but a few trees are near 20".

I had venison rump steak from the large doe I got last night, grilled very rare! It was delicious, and tender as a baby's butt!

Interesting. Never tried it. Is that a northern hemisphere thing?

That looks like a european wasp. I had a pest controller as a patient a while back, got to know him pretty well and he taught me a fair bit about pests. Those ones curled up in your firewood are potential queens.

I was out to Mitch's the other day, working the logs from the big candlebark. A huntsman spider came out while I was cutting but I didn't worry too much. Then a few minutes later, I saw his legs hanging over the visor on my helmet, which thus became airborne. So he crawled up my pants, shirt, up onto my helmet and then appeared 2 inches from my eyeballs. Do you see him? For reference, that bit of wood is 6 inches wide :laugh:

20240123_152004.jpg

Anyway, got a bit of cutting done.

20240123_160052.jpg

The middling rounds I rolled into the trailer for bonfire wood

20240123_163448.jpg

The bigger few rounds I split up for farwood.

20240123_163457.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

I was out to Mitch's the other day, working the logs from the big candlebark. A huntsman spider came out while I was cutting but I didn't worry too much. Then a few minutes later, I saw his legs hanging over the visor on my helmet, which thus became airborne. So he crawled up my pants, shirt, up onto my helmet and then appeared 2 inches from my eyeballs. Do you see him? For reference, that bit of wood is 6 inches wide :laugh:

View attachment 1147894

Anyway, got a bit of cutting done.

View attachment 1147895

The middling rounds I rolled into the trailer for bonfire wood

View attachment 1147896

The bigger few rounds I split up for farwood.

View attachment 1147897

Scrounge on :rock:
THAT wood looks pretty solid. Beautiful! Excellent firewood! :laugh:

There are 2 trees that are known as Ironwood ... Blue Beach and Hop Hornbeam. What you have there is Hop Hornbeam, which is also known as Lever-wood. It is excellent for making tool handles. As the second nickname implies, it is very tough to break!

It is high BTUs and is very slow growing. Does not get really big but can get over 12". I have a decent amount of it on my property in the Catskills. The majority of it is smaller than 6", but a few trees are near 20".
Hop Hornbeam table. ONLY $11,100 :laugh: Now known as HVHH. Move over HVBW.:surprised3:

1706350723814.png

Wood will heat you up , in different ways, šŸ‘
My dad always said it heats you twice: once when you make it, and once when you burn it. Now that he's 91, I seem to sweat when I cut it, when I buck it, when I split it, when I stack it, when I drag it in, and when he burns it - if I'm visiting him while he has the fire roaring! šŸ¤”šŸ˜ƒšŸ¤ŖšŸ˜€

Get starlink
Ignore feature is cheaper lol. I donā€™t like to use it, but I finally had to with him. Heā€™s acknowledged that he purposely posts every thought individually only so he can pad his like count. Iā€™ve only had to use it a few times on here as I genuinely do care what other people how to say, even if I donā€™t agree with them. But enough is enough with him lol.
View attachment 1147797
View attachment 1147798
View attachment 1147799

The mailman was very good to me again today. A little more cast iron fun for y'all. The final piece for my kitchen. 12" for bigger meals. Please let me introduce Vicky. Not made in the USA as I would normally try to do, but not made in CCP land! šŸ³
Thatā€™s a very good looking skillet, never heard of that brand before.
Lets try this again:

Roth is a great idea for those who are able to participate in one. And of course you can convert an IRA but then you have a giant tax bill that year.

Lets try this again:

IF you're willing and able to pay the taxes due when you convert.

Latest posts

Back