Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the talk about ironware and such. I have to show you this gadget my wife bought that does a great job. It is much faster than a cast iron pan and nothing gets burned. All you do is spray the plastic pan or use butter so the eggs don't stick. Put a measured amount of water in the pot, cover it and turn it on. When the water boils off the unit shuts off and starts beeping. You can poach eggs, soft boil or hard boil them. There is a two part pan for making omelets. This cooker is fast. We do also have a 10" Lodge cast iron pan.

Attachments

• 20240127_051637.jpg
    20240127_051637.jpg
    636.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240127_052011.jpg
    20240127_052011.jpg
    756.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240127_051626.jpg
    20240127_051626.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
With all the talk about ironware and such. I have to show you this gadget my wife bought that does a great job. It is much faster than a cast iron pan and nothing gets burned. All you do is spray the plastic pan or use butter so the eggs don't stick. Put a measured amount of water in the pot, cover it and turn it on. When the water boils off the unit shuts off and starts beeping. You can poach eggs, soft boil or hard boil them. There is a two part pan for making omelets. This cooker is fast. We do also have a 10" Lodge cast iron pan.
FIL had something similar years ago, similar concept. It cooked up to 3 eggs I think. It was a small gadget that sat in the same spot for a decade or more.

Came across this old cabin out in the middle of nowheresville today, way up in the Salish range. Went to check the ice on Logan creek and ran into a small crew of people from the History channel who had sledded in to film some show called mountain men. Apparently there's some trapper dude in this area they are getting footage of. They didn't expect anyone else to be out there...Cut cut..
20240127_140233.jpg

There are 2 trees that are known as Ironwood ... Blue Beach and Hop Hornbeam. What you have there is Hop Hornbeam, which is also known as Lever-wood. It is excellent for making tool handles. As the second nickname implies, it is very tough to break!

It is high BTUs and is very slow growing. Does not get really big but can get over 12". I have a decent amount of it on my property in the Catskills. The majority of it is smaller than 6", but a few trees are near 20".
Thanks for the information Mike

I don't know much about it except that it has lots of btus and is heavy. Seems like a number of our highest BTU trees aren't usually very large. Got some persimmon last year and it was about 14-16" dbh, but thats a big one of those around here (Eastern Shore of VA).
I have not seen many hedge here, but the ones I have seen are pretty twisted and gnarled and maybe 25-30 feet tall.
Hickories, oaks and to a lesser extent, black locust probably yield more high BTU wood here, but I have greater access to black cherry than anything.
Most of our cherry isn't straight enough for lumber, so it gets to be firewood!
Cherry is fine - smells so good when splitting - just checking out some other options.

Can't find your spider anywhere. Are you SURE it was actually there? :laugh:

Here he is.

20240123_1520041.jpg

I actually don't mind them, but there's a bit of an instinctive response to big hairy things suddenly appearing in your vision. I'm also not so keen when they try to join in the marital festivities.

Spider.jpg

:laugh:

Once when u cut/collect it, once when u split it, once when U stack it & then when U burn it.

You forgot about when you had to restack it because your stack fell over :rolleyes:. You also get warm when you carry it inside because your wife is from the tropics and stuffs wood in as fast as you can get it. :laugh:

Pretty warm today and I wasn't really feeling like it. But then I dried my eyes, stopped being a big girl and got out there. I took three more rounds off this end of the big peppermint at Will's. This was the last one and it was starting to get a bit punky in addition to the pipe up the middle, but still plenty of good wood in there. It looks worse than it was, the sun was almost in line with the cut. Could just reach cutting from both sides with Limby.

20240128_141220.jpg

Split that up bigly and that was the ute filled with the nice bits from those rounds.

20240128_141229.jpg

I cut a few rounds off the other end (I had cut this log in an opportune spot in the middle initially) and bigly split.

20240128_144733.jpg

20240128_144748.jpg

I'm taking the nice stuff out of this log. Roscoe can pick up the rest. It'll stihl burn just as well but won't stack as well and be a bit ugly (h/t @djg james ).

I hope to get out again on Wednesday morning. I want to finish this tree and get all the junk piled so Will can burn it once we're out of bushfire season. Then on to the next big peppermint :sweet:

Scrounge on :rock:

Good morning fellows

Had a little get together for my sons 18th birthday last night. On the menu was shrimp cocktail, scallops, chipotle steak bites, and smoked tuna dip (I caught the tuna). I was going to make buffalo chicken dip as well, but everybody was full.

We continue to have very mild weather here. I did a little bit of plowing yesterday to clean things up. Today I’ve got to work and a board meeting in the evening so I guess I’ll miss football. Go ravens and lions!

Here he is.

I actually don't mind them, but there's a bit of an instinctive response to big hairy things suddenly appearing in your vision. I'm also not so keen when they try to join in the marital festivities.

:laugh:
I sometimes have the same effect on my wife

Good morning again.

Cooked breakfast for my son, daughter, and her friend; then did some meal prep, cleaned up the rest of the party dishes, put 3 coats of seasoning onto a batch of restoration iron and changed the oil in my suburban. Once this last run of iron in the oven is done I’m going to head into work and then have a board meeting.

There was a very small trickle of water in the bottom of my oil pan, maybe enough to fill up an eye dropper. It was not antifreeze so I’m just going to chalk it down to condensation from this very warm and moist winter we’ve had.

I'm replacing the oil pump on a MS 170. I've done this twice before and never had this problem. I can't get the steel spring to lay back against the walls of the clutch cavity. Now the pump pickup wire doesn't fit. What am I doing wrong?
IMG_2527.JPG

How do the ends of this steel spring attach to the saw?

Made the modifications to the dust/chip collection system. Works great just need to seal around the red bucket where it goes through the white lid .The white bucket was one of my beer fermenters IMG_7716.jpegIMG_7717.jpegand I finished up the spice rack . My dumb ass broke one of the jars easily replaced though they are just small 3oz Ball mason jars
IMG_7718.jpeg

Latest posts

Back