Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've told this story a few times now, but I'll give the real short version of it. I can trim the trees, but I can't do anything to them that would kill them, the kind of triming they need will kill them.
That really sucks. Can you leave the branches sticking out a few feet? My neighbor had a big Cherry come down a few years back and landed on our property. I was nice enough to cut it off at the wall and drop it back on his side just in case he wanted it. I would put an emoji here but.

Speaking of medium bores, I am looking to change up my hog rifle.

Current rifle is a savage 110 long range in .338 federal. Hits extremely hard but the barrel is way too long for shooting our of blinds and at close quarters. Rather than paying to cut the barrel I think I am going to find a different rifle. Also the comb of that rifle is too high for my cheek and I do not want to raise the scope either as it is already so large with the night scope on it.
Why not just whack that barrel down and put a little crown on the end of it.

@farmer steve got my outter Skype for the 400.... I told the lady when I ordered it I wanted the hardware to fasten it. They called the other day to say it was in. Went and picked it up on my way home from work. Questioned why they got me the dog kit, and the parts guy said the nite the receptionist left said the dog and fasteners and he didn't know how to get the fasteners without getting the full kit... $25.46 with tax. Wasn't going to fight with him about it.
I hope those dogs don't bark around.šŸ¤£

I like the Barnes copper bullets because the kill reliably and penetrate deeply. However, they do not provide as much of a blood trail as softer bullets.

I hit the bear through the lungs right behind the shoulder and it did not go far (40 yards?). I was still watching it from the stand when it stopped and dropped.

Don't know what caliber you are shooting, but I'm sure the larger the caliber the better the blood trail and the faster the kill.

The bear came across in front of me (after being shot) and did kind of a semi-circle before dropping. I held off taking a 2nd shot as I could see the exit hole with my scope, so it did some nice damage.

In my ballistic testing, they penetrate about 50% deeper than most other bullets. The 8 pt buck I got with the 06 in 2019 (w/168 gr Barnes TTSX) went about 70 yards before dropping. There was a blood trail, but I'm glad there was snow. I was on the ground when I shot that one, so you can't see it for as long as when you are in an elevated stand.
I'm shooting a .308 Winchester. My favorite load is a 180 grain Sierra Gameking BTSP over 46 grains of H380 which should be good for 2400ish fps. If I do my part it shoots 3/4" at 100. It works perfectly for my hunting setup. I can't shoot over 100 yards so the low velocity isn't a problem. I've never had a deer run over 50 yards and they don't end up on the neighbor's lawn. I lung shoot them to save meat and the exit hole is usually 2-4".

I've been kicking around switching to TTSX bullets but I want them to drop quickly without having to shoot them in the shoulder. It sounds like they might perform better than the old Barnes X Bullet that I tried years ago.

Thanks for the info.

@sean donato. Or any of you other "experts ". I have to replace the hose from my tank to the pump on my splitter. Do I need to use the steel (wire) reinforced hose? I have some that is not wire (pic) just wasn't sure. Thanks buddy.
View attachment 1153619
When I built my 36" stroke splitter the hydraulic guy said the Plastic band lined hose would be fine. It was not fine and collapsed right away even with cold oil. I went back and told him what happened. I asked for 1 1/2" hydraulic hose and he said it was a waste of money. I told him I already wasted 3 hours driving to get the last hose he recommended as well as the cost of the failed hose. Now when I go in there to get stuff he goes into the back room. Fine with me.

My one 06 shoots cor locks and the other likes Sierra BTā€™s.

Iā€™ll take accuracy over penetration any day of the week

My one 30-30 likes the FTX, the other three seem to prefer the interlocks

Iā€™m of the belief, if you put the bullet where it belongs, the deer will cooperate (unless itā€™s the Winchester XP bullets, theyā€™re crap!)

I'm shooting a .308 Winchester. My favorite load is a 180 grain Sierra Gameking BTSP over 46 grains of H380 which should be good for 2400ish fps
I loaded my daughters 308 with 165 grain Speer BTSP over 48 grains of CFE 223. The Barnes copper bullets were "too long".

After that, I got some 150 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and loaded them over 51 grains of CFE 223. Will have to see how they shoot after 4/15!!!

Almost any bullet will work well if you have a clear shot. I like bullets that still work well even if they encounter a small sapling before hitting the deer. My 348 Winchester with the Hornady 200 grain flat point bullets was VG at that task! It inspired me to build the 338-06. Have not been able to find any bullets to reload the 348 in quite some time. Luckily, I still have a supply of them, but don't like using what I can't replace.

Also, since they implemented the 3 points on a side rule up at my property, it has become impractical to hunt with open sights.

That really sucks. Can you leave the branches sticking out a few feet? My neighbor had a big Cherry come down a few years back and landed on our property. I was nice enough to cut it off at the wall and drop it back on his side just in case he wanted it. I would put an emoji here but.
I should get a few pics of the trees that are an issue. I could trim them back some, but they still lean right towards the house and the trucks are 10 feet off my property line, the entire top hangs over the property line on my side. The tree that dropped the branch on the fence behind the wood shed I'll cut up for fire wood and toss the small stuff over his big fence. I'll fix the little wire fence. Keeps the chickens on my property. I'm hoping he kicks the bucket soon and his wife (I get along with her pretty well.) Let's me clean up the fence row and take a few trees down. But like they say, "only the good die young." he's like 80 and in pretty good health. Crabby old bugger he is.

My nephew came by to drop off a cook book he got me. First question out of his mouth, ā€œwhatā€™s up with that Stihl 201ā€. I told him I had to fix it. He asked me what I was doing with it after, I responded that Iā€™m probably trading it for something cool from ā€œLeeā€

I could tell he was disappointed, Iā€™ll have to think of something to cheer him up, he turns 30 soon. Iā€™ve given him a 12ga and a .45 in the past year, dunno how Iā€™m going to top thoseā€¦.image.jpg

I loaded my daughters 308 with 165 grain Speer BTSP over 48 grains of CFE 223. The Barnes copper bullets were "too long".

After that, I got some 150 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and loaded them over 51 grains of CFE 223. Will have to see how they shoot after 4/15!!!

Almost any bullet will work well if you have a clear shot. I like bullets that still work well even if they encounter a small sapling before hitting the deer. My 348 Winchester with the Hornady 200 grain flat point bullets was VG at that task! It inspired me to build the 338-06. Have not been able to find any bullets to reload the 348 in quite some time. Luckily, I still have a supply of them, but don't like using what I can't replace.

Also, since they implemented the 3 points on a side rule up at my property, it has become impractical to hunt with open sights.
I have a few hundred short 150ā€™s for my 300 savage, welcome to try them for her 308

Here's was my job for today. A leaking water pump on a 2014 Explorer with 94k. I wonder how big the bonus was for the engineer that designed a smaller engine package by using the water pump as the idler for the timing chain?:buttkick:View attachment 1153819
12 hours for a water pump!
The 3.0 V6 in my parents 2000 Toyota Camry runs the water pump with the timing belt, as do Subarus back into the 90s and probably earlier, so unfortunately this is not a new thing

The 3.0 V6 in my parents 2000 Toyota Camry runs the water pump with the timing belt, as do Subarus back into the 90s and probably earlier, so unfortunately this is not a new thing
You're correct...difference being a 2-4 hour job vs. an 8-12 hour job. Another difference is people aren't prepared for a $1500-$2000 water pump job.

Latest posts

Back