Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does that work on the normal viruses? šŸ¤”
Covid is a normal Corona virus. (Well, ok, a manufactured virus but still a Corona)
My wife averages 2 hrs to clear cold/flu symptoms, me, 4. First signs of a cold or flu we take one standard dose. Been doing this for nearly 3 yrs. It hasn't stopped all viruses, however, One rhinovirus I got was not impressed and that lasted the normal 2 weeks :p
It has also knocked out cold sores (herpes simplex) a lot faster than the Denivir I used to use.
For the most part it shuts down viral reproduction enough for your immune system to more quickly clear it out.
There are hundreds of studies out now showing the benefits against most viruses along with certain cancers. Recent studies have come out on upping the original 0.2mg/kg to 2x and 4x that so will try that for the next obvious head cold. šŸ˜
Combine it with making sure your vit D level is up...5000-10,000iu/day for those of up up north.
We have a lot of friends who do the same with same results.

Speaking of sickness....boys played basketball last night. Reportedly (from opposing fans) their star player had a 102 temp earlier in the day and chose to play. He was way off his game and was benched at halftime with 4 points. Bad decision on parents, player, and coaches IMO to risk getting both his teammates and opposition sick just a week before the regular season ends.

We are currently the 3 seed in the region and have to play the 4 seed (and win) to hold our position next Friday. Prayers, fingers crossed, and knock on wood we didn't pick up this kid's bug. We don't want to drop to the 4 seed because that would mean having to face the 1 seed (who is favored to win the state championship) sooner in the bracket AND not give us a shot at taking down the 2 seed which is the only other team in the region to beat us (so far) in the regular season.

How was the recovery? I'm trying not to do surgery on mine, have heard too many horror stories about recovery after rotator cuff repairs....
How bad is yours? Can you raise your arm and work above your head without much pain? Mine was from a work related injury and I wanted to get it repaired on their dime before it got too bad. It was only a twinge for me when I was above my head, but it was full thickness tear if that matters.

Had I known what I know now, I wouldn't have had it repaired. The pain the first two weeks was terrible. Then four more weeks without moving your arm by yourself. 6 months before normal starts and a year total before back to normal. Never good as new though.

Over the years, I think I messed up the other shoulder because of compensation. So then I started using my repaired arm more, only to mess it up again. Will probably have it fixed again in Jan 2025.

How bad is yours? Can you raise your arm and work above your head without much pain? Mine was from a work related injury and I wanted to get it repaired on their dime before it got too bad. It was only a twinge for me when I was above my head, but it was full thickness tear if that matters.

Had I known what I know now, I wouldn't have had it repaired. The pain the first two weeks was terrible. Then four more weeks without moving your arm by yourself. 6 months before normal starts and a year total before back to normal. Never good as new though.

Over the years, I think I messed up the other shoulder because of compensation. So then I started using my repaired arm more, only to mess it up again. Will probably have it fixed again in Jan 2025.
Ugh, that sounds terrible. Mine is not that bad I guess. It flares up really badly when I try to do certain things, like swimming, or playing with my kid. I can raise it above my head, but I don't have much strength in it.

It's not just chainsaws that can get you... Another one of my associates just got whacked due to kick back on a table saw... Unfortunately, I steadily hear about table saw, nail gun, and chainsaw accidents in my circles (plus myriad other relatively minor mishaps). All it takes is a moment of inattention, a trip, or an unexpected material reaction and you get hurt. Be safe out there.

View attachment 1155577
Sorry to see the damage on the Thumb, Heres a picture of my recent table saw After stitches

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
Iā€™m gonna be 43 this April, have had my 870 since I was 12. The only firearm I still own from my childhood, the one I wouldnā€™t part with.

I had a pump .22, 30-30 lever Model 94, a Howa 30-06

I now own, who knows how many rifles and shotguns, but there is one that Iā€™ve had foreverā€¦.

Even still carry it afield, itā€™s old reliable Remington 870
I still have my first 22 pistol and rifle that I bought back in the 70's. The rifle is a Ruger 10 - 22 carbine that has had thousands of rounds shot out of it. The pistol is a H&R Sportmans 6" barrel 10 **** with adjustable sights. I can't tell you how many chipmunks this pistol took out in my lifetime. I think these are the two best guns that I enjoy shooting. I think my most accurate .22 is my H&R M12 military trainer that I got from the CMP. It even outshoots the Remington 541 military training rifle that I bought from them.

How was the recovery? I'm trying not to do surgery on mine, have heard too many horror stories about recovery after rotator cuff repairs....
As qq
It was great and I should have done it years ago instead of waiting until I was 68. The key is to make sure you do your exercises and don't go crazy by way over doing them. I would have to go back and look at my posts to see how long it was before I was using a chainsaw again or riding my motorcycle. I know my surgeon told me that my cuff was a complete mess. Looked like broken spaghetti. He said a year for full recovery. I'm pretty sure it was less time than that. I want to say 6 months for a chainsaw. I had it done the end of October 2021. I saw the surgeon for my last visit in early April. I had full range of motion by then.

Ugh, that sounds terrible. Mine is not that bad I guess. It flares up really badly when I try to do certain things, like swimming, or playing with my kid. I can raise it above my head, but I don't have much strength in it.
Have you tried building up your arm strength using weights or rubber bands?

Today I got in my new set of kevlar reinforced v belts for my 3pth chipper. The new belts are an inch shorter than the non kevlar belts. I think the old ones were really stretched out. While I was at it changing the belts I also regreased the two cutter spindle bearings. I also noticed that they was around 3/8" of end play on the cutter shaft. I pulled up a parts diagram and found that a bearing spacer to get rid of shaft end play in the pillow block was missing. Out came the tin snips and a piece of sheet metal. I made up a new one that will work out fine until I can get the right part in. My guess is the previous owner lost that spacer ring when they changed the belts. Then it was off to the woods to play and lay down some chip ground cover on my roads. What a difference a new set of proper belts made.

Attachments

• 20240223_164311.jpg
    20240223_164311.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240223_164246.jpg
    20240223_164246.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I still have my first 22 pistol and rifle that I bought back in the 70's. The rifle is a Ruger 10 - 22 carbine that has had thousands of rounds shot out of it. The pistol is a H&R Sportmans 6" barrel 10 **** with adjustable sights. I can't tell you how many chipmunks this pistol took out in my lifetime. I think these are the two best guns that I enjoy shooting. I think my most accurate .22 is my H&R M12 military trainer that I got from the CMP. It even outshoots the Remington 541 military training rifle that I bought from them.
Old Marlin Lever action 22 cal. the good old days Lol šŸ‘

I put together a new workbench a couple of years ago to work on my saws only to fill it up with junk. Spent parts of the last three days cleaning out one side of my garage. Anyone a pack rat like me, or at least willing to admit it? Mine was mostly lumber I scrounged for my roof repair. Got all the extra osboard and 2 bys moved outside under a roofed shelter. Enough for projects to come.

Anyway, I got down to ground zero wrt my workbench and realized I hadn't mounted my vise yet. It's just a cheap HF one and has only three mounting feet. Envious of all those vises others have posted here. Stupid question, does it matter if it's mounted two in front or two in back?
IMG_2564.JPG

My Dad was just a country boy growing up in MO. When he was a teenager, he got a Winchester single shot bolt action 22 for Christmas. His best friend got the Remington version. They hunted a lot of squirrels and raccoons together when they were kids.
When I was growing up, I was allowed to take it out to a elderly guy's property that was an old train right-of-way. I would stalk down the old roadbed and shoot ground hogs that were tearing up the lane. Man that single shot was accurate. I don't know how many I shot. The elderly guy like me for that, helped save his lane.
I now own the rifle and is one of my most prized possessions.

I still have my first .22 rifle and handgun as well. Rifle is a Sears 25 semi-auto (Hi Standard) that I got for Christmas the year I turned 12. Handgun is a Hi Standard Sentinel 6" I bought a few years later. Both have fired thousands of rounds and still fired occasionally.

Buddy brought one of those over here because he was having problems with missfires(iirc), that little screw on the side was all loose lol.
He isn't the most mechanically inclined, and hasn't messed around with any guns except a shotgun his father gave him. He also doesn't shoot much, but his boy who's 11 is a great shot, he really likes that 22. I picture him 40-50yrs from now saying the same things that have been said above about that thistle lever. Many times when they come over, which is weekly, he'll want to talk guns or ammo with me. That's pretty cool, bummer.his dad doesn't take up shooting for the boy.

Back