Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut a few tops this afternoon that the loggers left tangled up in the middle of the trail. Cutting them up where they lay isn't the easiest way to go about it, but there's no tractor available right now.
Running a loop of the Stihl RS Pro 23 narrow kerf .325 chain, as recommended by Squareground3691.

View attachment 1156487View attachment 1156488
You like chain performance, ?

I had a much needed morning in the woods. I dropped 13 ash trees and cleaned up some fallen willow tops that I've been wanting to get to. Can't see real well but here are some pics.20240224_113810.jpg20240224_113806.jpg
Ran into my first punky ash tree today. Started my notch and I it cut way too easy. I made a small notch and a pretty shallow back cut leaving probably 1/4 of the diameter of the tree for hinge wood. I then hooked up the orange power wedge and pulled it over. It was 2/3 punky 12' up the stem. That let me know that I have to get the rest out of there. There's only about 100 ash trees left.

You like chain performance, ?
New bar, new chain, she flew off on me mid-cut without much warning and trashed about half of the drive links and several cutters too. Took awhile this morning to get all those drivers cleaned up, but I did save it.
It did cut extremely fast and smooth out of the box, it files decent and seems to hold an edge quite well.

New bar, new chain, she flew off on me mid-cut without much warning and trashed about half of the drive links and several cutters too. Took awhile this morning to get all those drivers cleaned up, but I did save it.
It did cut extremely fast and smooth out of the box, it files decent and seems to hold an edge quite well.
Dam that not good,

The video of the Fisher for anyone who it interested!

Also, did some research. They primarily eat Snowshoe Rabbits and Porcupines, but also Turkey, Bob Cat and Lynx!

They must be some tough little critters!
Fishers are neat critters and get a bad rap unfortunately from sportsmen who think they decimate the turkey population.

Check out Dr Jeff Larkin of Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) and his study of the contents of 93 fishers across 30 counties in Pennsylvania. Mostly rodents, small mammals, white tailed deer( road kill).IMG_1996.pngIMG_1997.png

Be kewl to have him back since he started this thread. Unlike you he would prolly post cast iron pix too.:drinkingcoffee:
Can someone write him up a summary so he's not confused about all of the scrounging thread lingo that has evolved over the years? @Cowboy254 where are you??

Back