Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there you go, that's where you went wrong. Your suppose to be using a Ground Hog.

Seriously, I wonder what percentage that critter is right? Regional too I'm guessing.
They used to consult a yellow bellied marmot named Bitteroot Bill up this way, but he has since retired.

It was almost 60° here today, sunny and calm. Freezing rain turning to snow, temps dropping to 13° with wind gusts up to to 40mph tomorrow. You gotta love it.
Yep, 40mph gusts here today as well, supposed to be 29 and rain tonight, then a high of 48 tomorrow.....crazy.

Well there you go, that's where you went wrong. Your suppose to be using a Ground Hog.

Seriously, I wonder what percentage that critter is right? Regional too I'm guessing.

"Of those 127 predictions, Phil only has 30-40% accuracy rate. And since 2014, that rate is down to 30%, that’s 3 out of the past 10 years that he’s been correct."​

"The Celtic people celebrated the day as a Pagan festival marking the start of spring called Imbolc, according to the History Channel. Then came the spread of Christianity across Europe in which the date coincided with Candlemas, which celebrates the presentation of Jesus, exactly 40 days after Christmas. And Christians in certain parts of Europe believed a sunny day for the celebration of Candlemas meant 40 more days of snow and cold.
Germans then put their own spin on this belief using animals. According to the History Channel, the common belief was that it was only considered a sunny day if small animals like badgers, for example, saw their shadows. They carried this tradition to the United States upon immigration to Pennsylvania in the 18th/19th centuries and chose groundhogs, native to the area as the small animal to base their “forecast” on.​

Sunday morning we noticed a crane being set up at a house around the corner and few doors down from my girlfriend's home. Six Diamonds Tree Service took down 3 large maples grouped together, pruned branches off other trees that were "hanging over the line," and took down at least 4 pine. They were there at least 7 hours... It was a total surprise to some of the neighbors... with no notice the neighbor behind us didn't know until she came home and saw two guys, one climbing a tree, in her yard... It looked like the guy was wearing gaffs so I assumed he was taking the tree down... nope, he pruned one branch. There are a couple guys in trees in the photo... see if you can spot them!
IMG_6515.gif

Sunday morning we noticed a crane being set up at a house around the corner and few doors down from my girlfriend's home. Six Diamonds Tree Service took down 3 large maples grouped together, pruned branches off other trees that were "hanging over the line," and took down at least 4 pine. They were there at least 7 hours... It was a total surprise to some of the neighbors... with not notice the neighbor behind us didn't know until she came home and saw two guys, one climbing a tree, in her yard... It looked like the guy was wearing gaffs so I assumed he was taking the tree down... nope, he pruned one branch. There are a couple guys in trees in the photo... see if you can spot them!
View attachment 1157360
Right there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227_165045_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_165045_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Today's project at my parents' home was to prune dead branches off some big white pines and take down a maple with the top broken off.... The pine pruning was in prep to remove one of the 4 pines as it is dead... choked out by English Ivy I believe. The top of the maple, about 8" DBH, broke off and was supported by two other maples. I used the pole pruner on the pines and my MS261 on the maple. I assumed, incorrectly, that the maple would take maybe 15-20 minutes to fell, buck, and clean up. Nope... turned into an ordeal as the broken top dragging on the other trees kept good hold on the tree. I wedged it as far as I could, even using stacked wedges and a 6 lb., sledge, and it still wouldn't fall. With that I cut the hinge off! Then I beat the wedges out with the sledge and let the tree spin it's way out of the other trees and fall. It lay in a good spot though roughly 160° from the intended direction! After making the face and back cuts it was probably another 35-40 minutes of pounding with a 3 lb drilling hammer, retrieving the 6 lb. sledge from the garage, beating some more, repositioning the wedges, cutting the hinge off with the pole saw, and pounding the wedges out. I was tired after that! Bucking and cleaning up took all of 10-12 minutes.

I was amused to see the chips... I seldom have my saws in live trees so the chips typically range from dust to short ones even with a well sharpened chain. This maple yielded nice long chips... The tree was green and very wet! You can see the water running down the stump in the shot with the wedges.

It was challenging work but I had fun too... running saws you know. 😉

The garage with an upstairs woodworking shop is in the background. Dog run below it--though it did contain an 8 pt buck one time that some how managed to get in it by going through the shrubs at the top. A bear ripped the gate loose going after the dog food another time. Also in the background to the left.. lots of dead ash on the neighbor's property.
IMG_6524.gif

The broken top doesn't look like much from the ground and in the photo but it might was well have been a cable!
IMG_6529.gif

As far as I could get the wedges with the 3 lb. drilling hammer. I cut the stump lower after felling figuring up front it would be easier to pound wedges if the cuts were a bit higher.
IMG_6525.gif

Chips from bucking... not noodling!
IMG_6531.gif

Latest posts

Back