Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys think of this firewood processor? Saw it at a farm consignment auction I'm going to next week.
View attachment 1157759
They are fine for small wood that you can rip right thru. Anything over 4" I use a chainsaw on it. Mine is shaft driven with the pto.

What do you guys think of this firewood processor? Saw it at a farm consignment auction I'm going to next week.
View attachment 1157759
Reminds me of the buzz saw, tractor driven, processor that was in a barn I played in as a kid in the mid '60s. I have the same impression now... looks deadly! 😉

Reminds me of the buzz saw, tractor driven, processor that was in a barn I played in as a kid in the mid '60s. I have the same impression now... looks deadly! 😉
Not for use by anyone that is careless. If you worry about your use of one of these then you shouldn't use one. It could kill you or maim you severly.

View attachment 1157759
To me, a processor includes a splitter, where's the splitter??

I have two of those buzz rigs, I'm glad someone invented the chainsaw!!

SR

Welcome to the scrounger's lounge! Here you will learn about cooking with cast iron, grease guns, zigzagging bears, medium bore rifles, maple syrup, muffler modded chain saws and (maybe) scrounging firewood.

Nice splitter!

Not for use by anyone that is careless. If you worry about your use of one of these then you shouldn't use one. It could kill you or maim you severly.
For sure... The one in the barn I saw had no guards... a blade on a shaft with a belt pully in bearing blocks bolted to a crude wooden table. The "log table" consisted of a few boards nailed together and pivoting on bolts as I recall. It seems to me it was counter weighted somehow but I don't recall any details. The big rusty blade (hadn't been used in a long time) was primarily used to cut wood for the kitchen stove. The woman who lived there still cooked on a wood fired kitchen stove in the early '70s... My friend and I split quite a bit of wood for that stove when we were kids... were attacked by a rooster pheasant while doing that one time. 😉

My new scrounge wood cutter upper .
IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7916.jpegWent to Home Depot armed with my 15% off card ready to buy . Get there they have to look for 45 minutes for the saw . None on the shelf website said 8 in stock . And the only one they locate the box is all banged up and ripped . Look inside oil and paperwork no scrench. Manager says I’ll take 25% off and keep your coupon . So $336.75 before tax . I may go to another HD and buy another for my son with the 15% off give it to him for Christmas.IMG_7918.jpeg

My new scrounge wood cutter upper .
View attachment 1157901
View attachment 1157902Went to Home Depot armed with my 15% off card ready to buy . Get there they have to look for 45 minutes for the saw . None on the shelf website said 8 in stock . And the only one they locate the box is all banged up and ripped . Look inside oil and paperwork no scrench. Manager says I’ll take 25% off and keep your coupon . So $336.75 before tax . I may go to another HD and buy another for my son with the 15% off give it to him for Christmas.View attachment 1157904
Nice shiny new saw, man. Hey Home Depot, is there an Echo in here?

Never owned an Echo before, but they seem like nice saws, especially for the price.

A favorite of one armed farmers, just day'n
When I was a kid there were two old one-handed farmers around... and a 3 1/2 legged German Shepard. I don't know the details of how the farmers lost their hands but I know the German Shepard, Rex, ran through a sickle bar mower at the farm at the end of my street... Between the leg and his age he was easy to outrun on my bicycle. 😉 The one farmer did trash pick up on our street in his latter years. He had an old pick up with high wooden sideboards. That truck stunk badly! The other old farmer was retired...

Back