Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No word of a lie, I saw a mosquito yesterday. A mosquito in February! Talk about strange weather this year. With any luck they'll all hatch and die in a cold snap :surprised3:
No sign of them yet on Kodiak Island. 🏝️ Since spring is around the corner, the biting insects will follow. I had forgotten about those pesky buggers until now, thanks! 😆 All the more reason to embrace the season and enjoy these cold days collecting firewood. Happy days IMG_0085.jpeg

No sign of them yet on Kodiak Island. 🏝️ Since spring is around the corner, the biting insects will follow. I had forgotten about those pesky buggers until now, thanks! 😆 All the more reason to embrace the season and enjoy these cold days collecting firewood. Happy days View attachment 1158451
You need to get in touch with @Kodiak Kid. He'd teach you how to get twice as much in that trailer. You're not nearly full:laugh: .

The local saw shop here will shorten a chain for $2. Check with your place, they may be similar. Otherwise you'll need the special tools to do it right, besides the rivet straps.
'Local' shop (farm store) is 20 miles away, which is not that far really. But the time to get there and drop it off, and drive back on another day to pick it up. It's not worth the price of a new 14" chain. I think last time I had one done there (0.063" chain) it was like $6. Plus, now they only got kids working there (who stripped a muffler bolt for me and didn't tell me) so I don't use them anymore. The two older experienced guys left for other higher paying jobs. This is why I'm trying to work on my own saws now. Only one person to blame.

Some members here once said, all that's needed is a grinder, punch, ball peen hammer, new rivets and straps? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly?

You need to get in touch with @Kodiak Kid. He'd teach you how to get twice as much in that trailer. You're not nearly full:laugh: .
Oh man, I need to stay away from that guy! Lol
I’ve already overloaded this trailer one too many times. Nursing a bent spindle currently. Went underneath it yesterday to
I need to stay away from that guy! Lol. I’d be broke down for sure. Already nursing a bent spindle!

'Local' shop (farm store) is 20 miles away, which is not that far really. But the time to get there and drop it off, and drive back on another day to pick it up. It's not worth the price of a new 14" chain. I think last time I had one done there (0.063" chain) it was like $6. Plus, now they only got kids working there (who stripped a muffler bolt for me and didn't tell me) so I don't use them anymore. The two older experienced guys left for other higher paying jobs. This is why I'm trying to work on my own saws now. Only one person to blame.

Some members here once said, all that's needed is a grinder, punch, ball peen hammer, new rivets and straps? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly?
If you know what you’re doing, you can do a field repair like that… But if it’s a chain you’re going to use for a long time I would say it is not worth risking.

To quote our resideht safety expert WWPD (what would @Philbert do?)

Oh man, I need to stay away from that guy! Lol
I’ve already overloaded this trailer one too many times. Nursing a bent spindle currently. Went underneath it yesterday to

I need to stay away from that guy! Lol. I’d be broke down for sure. Already nursing a bent spindle!
Yea, everytime he's sees my little 5'x8' trailer loaded, he says it's under-loaded. He forgets, what I put in the trailer is about as much as I can cut and load in the trailer before I peter out. Plus a couple of cross members on this light trailer are bent. I plan on trying to straighten them and then beef them up. Too many projects going on right now. Then fishing starts later this month...priorities. So I just keep a light load in my trailer for the 2 mile trip home.

If you know what you’re doing, you can do a field repair like that… But if it’s a chain you’re going to use for a long time I would say it is not worth risking.

Short term use. One to two dozen saplings and roots. I could just leave it long :laugh: .

Yea, everytime he's sees my little 5'x8' trailer loaded, he says it's under-loaded. He forgets, what I put in the trailer is about as much as I can cut and load in the trailer before I peter out. Plus a couple of cross members on this light trailer are bent. I plan on trying to straighten them and then beef them up. Too many projects going on right now. Then fishing starts later this month...priorities. So I just keep a light load in my trailer for the 2 mile trip home.
I very seldom bring this trailer into the woods. Firewood for me is enjoyable. 1 cord a day ( which I can easily fit in my truck ) is easy! Whenever I bring the truck and trailer it’s more like a job, doable but a job. 2.5 - 3 cords collected in a day is a big push for me. If I need to split the rounds to load em, forget it.. This 50 year old man needs to learn to ‘take it easy!’ Whatever that means.. 😂

The local saw shop here will shorten a chain for $2. Check with your place, they may be similar. Otherwise you'll need the special tools to do it right, besides the rivet straps.
Cheap.

A lot of shops won’t do that. Some charge $2 for the preset link, plus labor!

What’s the chain worth? Are the sprockets OK or worn?

Repairing chain is a skill that many of ‘the old guys’ took for granted.

Still a good skill to have, if you do a lot of chain work.

Philbert

There are ‘field expedient’ ways to ‘break’ and join a chain.

Some methods work better on heavier chain (thinner and smaller gauge parts bend / deform easier).

It helps to understand how chains are assembled.

A spinner / breaker set is best, but is an investment.

Tie Strap Preset and Rivet.png
Chain Rivet and Drive Link.png
IMG_6785.jpeg
IMG_5871.jpeg
Philbert

Back