Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizza Yes GIF

Seen this on Facebook, figured y’all would get a kick outta it View attachment 1158956
Buddy just milled a large hollow stump, I'll have to send this to him, but knowing him he's already seen it.
Here's his milling setup for those looking for something portable, it's pretty awesome compared to everything I've seen. There's another setup in the trailer he uses too.
He's like 6'2".
IMG_3426.jpg

Buddy just milled a large hollow stump, I'll have to send this to him, but knowing him he's already seen it.
Here's his milling setup for those looking for something portable, it's pretty awesome compared to everything I've seen. There's another setup in the trailer he uses too.
He's like 6'2".
View attachment 1158966
Wow! How long does it take to set that up though?

Edit - NM, now that I'm looking at it, it's pretty dang simple. Even more impressive!

Wow! How long does it take to set that up though?

Edit - NM, now that I'm looking at it, it's pretty dang simple. Even more impressive!
Not long at all. It's a neat setup as you just set up around the log if you can't move them, and if you can you just remove one of the aluminum rails and set the log in the middle of it. He has a hand crank that pulls whatever saw he's using along, it's attached to a pulley and double back so it cranks pretty easy.
And the way he has it set up you can quickly change the height of the rails for your next cut and it easy to change how thick you're making the slabs/cookies.
He was using one of his 3120's and an 87" bar on this stump 😆.

So this is me, up at 1:15 on a Sunday night. Trying to improvise an auxillary oiler for my chainsaw mill out of random crap I had laying around 😂
View attachment 1158985
Worse yet, I'm up at 1:45 AM reading about it as I cannot get to sleep! 😉 That said: Good night John-Boy. Good night Ben. Good night Elizabeth. Good night Jim-Bob...

Got a text from one of my old new best friends yesterday - he split up some big rounds he had into manageable sizes pieces and asked if I wanted them. Of course I do, I already took the easy ones last year. He just made more easy stuff for me now. It's cottonwood, but I'm low on shoulder season wood anyway and it's close. Plus he has a big oak tree to take out later. IMG_20240304_065942.jpg

Orange bottle is better than ultra.
fight me lol.
I used to blindly run Ultra because synthetic = good right? It was not until we had several spark screens and plugs get fouled/clogged and I did some research and found out otherwise.

I have since switched to red armor 40:1, but my dad still runs orange Stihl at 50:1 and has for a long long time and his saws pre date my existence by like 10 years soooooo...... there is that. I have also torn down several of his that he retired to me because he says he no longer has the patience to fix them lol, and have seen no evidence of increased wear or excess carbon build up.

I think folks get too wound up on what oil to run, mix it at your preferred ratio with good gas and let er rip tater chip! Unless its Ultra, ultra should be deleted.

Latest posts

Back