Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems a majority favor the 40:1 Vs 50:1. I have been years at 50:1 with no issues, but I'm not above learning. I firmly believe the one who thinks he has nothing left to learn, is actually the biggest fool of all! I may go to 40:1 for a bit and see how things go. Especially for the vintage mag monsters. I think I would jump in front of a moving train if I smoked my pm 700's or 850!!
I run 32:1 in my Older saws Macs,Pioneer, and Ported,

It seems a majority favor the 40:1 Vs 50:1. I have been years at 50:1 with no issues, but I'm not above learning. I firmly believe the one who thinks he has nothing left to learn, is actually the biggest fool of all! I may go to 40:1 for a bit and see how things go. Especially for the vintage mag monsters. I think I would jump in front of a moving train if I smoked my pm 700's or 850!!
Same here. 50:1 (or 46:1, could only get 2.3 gal in the metal 2.5 gal gas can). I'll be working on a saw soon and don't want to screw it up after it's fixed.

I love pronouns.....my favorite one is changing varmints pronouns to was/were. :)
My dog ran down a squirrel yesterday While I was filling the IBC tote, we have seen less squirrels recently now I know why. Our wood shed is stacked high and tight but we have possum poop all over the stacks, even when we dig deep. No idea how the get in there.

Interruption of regularly scheduled programming to bring you this scrounge from yesterday:20240303_145646.jpg
Nowhere near "overloaded" but as others have stated above, my old 5x8 utility is not looking for abuse. Especially not with the state of the roads here. A fellow out at the lake is clearing a lot to sell and has 20-25 cord dropped in tree length on the ground. Already limbed! He just wants it gone. Between me and the others that will be scrounging I think he will get his wish. Should be a fun few weekends running a saw where my ice fishing season is officially toast.

My favorite part of processing free pallets for kindling is having a little campfire with the 2x4's.
20240302_193355.jpg

My dog ran down a squirrel yesterday While I was filling the IBC tote, we have seen less squirrels recently now I know why. Our wood shed is stacked high and tight but we have possum poop all over the stacks, even when we dig deep. No idea how the get in there.
Do they climb in through a gap under the roof?

Regarding mix oil and gasoline... Based on my purchase records, in recent years I've run at least 70 gallons of fuel through my Stihl chainsaws, trimmer/brush cutter, backpack blower, pole saw, and hedge clippers... All of it with non-ethanol 91 octane and Stihl Ultra HP mixed per directions at 50:1. The FS130 trimmer and HT131 pole saw have mix 4 strokes the others are all 2 strokes. I've looked at the pistons and they are all clean and show good lubrication.

I maintain multiple family owned properties and have done a lot of cutting on land trust (rail trails) and sportsmen's club properties. The only tool that ever needed the spark arrestor cleaned is the Hedge Trimmer. I recently checked the screens on all the chainsaws and they were clean... no build up at all. The FS130 valves have been adjusted once and were clean... not enough hours on the HT131 to even bother checking at this point. Spark plugs haven't been a problem either... it's a rare occasion to change a plug. The first Stihl chainsaw I bought was an MS271 and it was well used and maintained... I wore all the paint off the bar and the piston still looked perfectly fine with excellent compression. I upgraded my 50 CC class saw to an MS261 and sold off the MS271... I currently have MS170, MS461 and MS661saws too. Based on my experiences I don't understand why others have had bad experienced with the Ultra HP... it seems to work perfectly fine in Stihl equipment.

Regarding mix oil and gasoline... Based on my purchase records, in recent years I've run at least 70 gallons of fuel through my Stihl chainsaws, trimmer/brush cutter, backpack blower, pole saw, and hedge clippers... All of it with non-ethanol 91 octane and Stihl Ultra HP mixed per directions at 50:1. The FS130 trimmer and HT131 pole saw have mix 4 strokes the others are all 2 strokes. I've looked at the pistons and they are all clean and show good lubrication.

I maintain multiple family owned properties and have done a lot of cutting on land trust (rail trails) and sportsmen's club properties. The only tool that ever needed the spark arrestor cleaned is the Hedge Trimmer. I recently checked the screens on all the chainsaws and they were clean... no build up at all. The FS130 valves have been adjusted once and were clean... not enough hours on the HT131 to even bother checking at this point. Spark plugs haven't been a problem either... it's a rare occasion to change a plug. The first Stihl chainsaw I bought was an MS271 and it was well used and maintained... I wore all the paint off the bar and the piston still looked perfectly fine with excellent compression. I upgraded my 50 CC class saw to an MS261 and sold off the MS271... I currently have MS170, MS461 and MS661saws too. Based on my experiences I don't understand why others have had bad experienced with the Ultra HP... it seems to work perfectly fine in Stihl equipment.

Probably fine for most people but I won’t run it, I think it stinks anyway 🤢

I only really talk saws on this site but have heard the issues on Ultra many times. With that being said, if it works for you, keep running it!

I've had pretty much the opposite experiences. I should really take more pictures, since this is very normal to see. Bg86 blower, very low hours. Stihl ultra 50 to 1 w/ e free 90 octane. (Same place I buy my gas from) would barley idle. Burned the screen out and all was well. Same issues at the township, even on moto mix, not limited to stihl equipment, they started phasing stihl out and going to echo. They eventually switched to the Echo power blend oil away from ultra and stopped having issues with choked up spark screens. Wish I could convince them to get red armor, but the power blend seems ro be pretty decent for the cost of it. Those guys will kill 20+ gallons of mix gas a week, between all 3 parks they maintain. If the road crew is tree trimming it's not unheard of to get 5-10 gallons through the pole saw, ms 180's and blowers in a day.
Now don't get me wrong, I work on enough friends/family equipment ti know people not knowing how to tune doesn't help anything, but carbon build up seems much worse with ultra then anything else, especially in weed wackers and blowers.
Edit: since we're on the oil subject I usually run 40 to 1, was running redmax/husqy xp switched to red armor and found both to be satisfactory, but that red armor sure coats a piston and seems to stick to everything internally. Been pretty impressed with it aside from the price going nuts.

Attachments

• 20230121_151529.jpg
    20230121_151529.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Probably fine for most people but I won’t run it, I think it stinks anyway 🤢

My son sells Stihl and Husky... One thing that is abundantly clear at the shop is "professionals" (be they tree services, municipalities, governmental agencies, landscapers, etc.) are no less likely to beat the crap out of their equipment, run dull chains, fail to clean air filters, mix improperly, nor maintain bars than are homeowners. I'd venture that most guys here at least try to keep their saws in good shape! That probably matters far more than what oil they run... 😉

Shared this before but it has been a while:

FWIW my nephew is an engineer and his previous job was working at a testing facility that tested oils for various equipment companies. They are an independent facility hired by the equipment manufacturers to test many different brands of oil. They absolutely flog various pieces of equipment beyond what a *normal* user would ever be able to do. The more interesting experiments were in a secure (fire and explosion safe) enclosure and were videotaped to avoid any harm to bystanders.

Husqvarna and Polaris were amongst many of the customers of the lab. He said in both of those instances, the best grade of factory oil outperformed or matched any aftermarket oil they tested. FWIW he left the job about 2 years ago and they had been using 372's for Husky's tests.

He had some wild stories about the bigger engines grenading or bursting into flames when ran with little or no oil. Saw breakdowns were pretty tame comaratively.

Shared this before but it has been a while:

FWIW my nephew is an engineer and his previous job was working at a testing facility that tested oils for various equipment companies. They are an independent facility hired by the equipment manufacturers to test many different brands of oil. They absolutely flog various pieces of equipment beyond what a *normal* user would ever be able to do. The more interesting experiments were in a secure (fire and explosion safe) enclosure and were videotaped to avoid any harm to bystanders.

Husqvarna and Polaris were amongst many of the customers of the lab. He said in both of those instances, the best grade of factory oil outperformed or matched any aftermarket oil they tested. FWIW he left a job about 2 years ago and they had been using 372's for Husky's tests.

He had some wild stories about the bigger engines grenading or bursting into flames when ran with little or no oil. Saw breakdowns were pretty tame comaratively.
The Motocross , and GP racing industry knows a thing or two about 2T oils , I listen to them years ago, and never looked back,for my 2T applications

Back