Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hit my log pile this afternoon for 3 hours with my 550XP MK11. This saw cuts faster than my rebuilt 254XP.
Did you check the squish on it, if you can get it down around .018-20 it will pick up some nice power. I've also found they are much happier running fat vs lean.
Looks like you got a good bit done, much better than I managed to this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a decent amount split :chop:, except with the hydraulic splitter :yes:.

@sean donato , I always think of you/your MIL'S place whenever I drive past this bamboo. Not sure if they put up the wall to stop the bamboo or to stop some of the noise from the road lol.
View attachment 1161383
sound barrier would be my guess, but if the foundation goes about 3-4 ft under ground it will stop the stupid bamboo too.
Bamboo trimming will start as soon as the weather gets nicer. I'm soon going to have an issue with it at my place from both thr neighbors planting it. Already called the township and met ed since the jerk neighbors patch has now grown into the lane and is laying on the power lines. Met ed sent a guy out to look at it. Supposedly they are going to send a crew out our way to trim back the right of way. No idea in when though.

Incase anyone was wondering where my user name came from, here is the reason lol.

The power company came in and dropped about 25-30 white pines up the right of way a few years before we bought this place and just left them laying and the people that were living here/renting did not take care of the house, much less any of the property, so here we are. I am trying to cut a new driveway in across the property and its is going to pass right through here. I am not a fan of white pine for burning in the stove, but it does come in handy to start a fire or get it going in the morning.

1710244495649.png 1710244531261.png

Incase anyone was wondering where my user name came from, here is the reason lol.

The power company came in and dropped about 25-30 white pines up the right of way a few years before we bought this place and just left them laying and the people that were living here/renting did not take care of the house, much less any of the property, so here we are. I am trying to cut a new driveway in across the property and its is going to pass right through here. I am not a fan of white pine for burning in the stove, but it does come in handy to start a fire or get it going in the morning.

View attachment 1161470 View attachment 1161471
If they arnt all rotten they make some nice boards. They burn just fine if allowed to dry properly, really fast but make decent heat for the 30 seconds they do burn.

If they arnt all rotten they make some nice boards. They burn just fine if allowed to dry properly, really fast but make decent heat for the 30 seconds they do burn.
I work with a guy who has a saw mill, he looked at a few of the bigger ones this time last year and said they were right on the edge of being useable, bugs had started getting to them and the outside was pretty soft. I worked about a cord up last year and stacked it in the woods and its all but gone.

Morning guys.

Had an enjoyable evening yesterday hunting chaga around my cabin. I had never done that before but a friend is a frequent chaga user. I said lets go scour the area that is getting logged this spring. We didn't even get very far and more than loaded a 5 gallon pail full of it.

Wrapped up the evening with some awesome t-bones, fried corn, steamed asparagus and blueberry cheesecake cream dessert.

Also saw a black backed woodpecker. I am an avid birdwatcher and have never seen one up here before.
IMG_7135.jpegIMG_7138.jpegIMG_7139.jpegIMG_7148.jpegIMG_7150.jpegIMG_7152.jpegIMG_7153.jpeg
IMG_7154.jpeg
IMG_7156.jpegIMG_7158.jpeg

I work with a guy who has a saw mill, he looked at a few of the bigger ones this time last year and said they were right on the edge of being useable, bugs had started getting to them and the outside was pretty soft. I worked about a cord up last year and stacked it in the woods and its all but gone.
that's a shame. Yes, it sure rots fast. Good thing if you just want it gone.

Morning guys.

Had an enjoyable evening yesterday hunting chaga around my cabin. I had never done that before but a friend is a frequent chaga user. I said lets go scour the area that is getting logged this spring. We didn't even get very far and more than loaded a 5 gallon pail full of it.

Wrapped up the evening with some awesome t-bones, fried corn, steamed asparagus and blueberry cheesecake cream dessert.

Also saw a black backed woodpecker. I am an avid birdwatcher and have never seen one up here before.
View attachment 1161484View attachment 1161485View attachment 1161486View attachment 1161488View attachment 1161490View attachment 1161492View attachment 1161493
View attachment 1161496
View attachment 1161494View attachment 1161495
Score on the Chaga!

Did you check the squish on it, if you can get it down around .018-20 it will pick up some nice power. I've also found they are much happier running fat vs lean.
Looks like you got a good bit done, much better than I managed to this afternoon. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a decent amount split :chop:, except with the hydraulic splitter :yes:.
I did do the squish on the 254xp. I believe it is at .02, I honestly don't remember. The saw is running 40:1 with the carb slightly on the fat side. If I recall correctly the saw is running at 13,600. This saw has a 3/8" chain setup. I had a 3/8" setup on the 550xp and switched back to the .325 setup. My 550xp screams bloody murder with the .325 on it compared to the 254xp with the 3/8" setup. I'm also running an 18" on the 550xp versus a 20" on the 254xp.

sound barrier would be my guess, but if the foundation goes about 3-4 ft under ground it will stop the stupid bamboo too.
Bamboo trimming will start as soon as the weather gets nicer. I'm soon going to have an issue with it at my place from both thr neighbors planting it. Already called the township and met ed since the jerk neighbors patch has now grown into the lane and is laying on the power lines. Met ed sent a guy out to look at it. Supposedly they are going to send a crew out our way to trim back the right of way. No idea in when though.
Spray it and keep spraying it.

I did do the squish on the 254xp. I believe it is at .02, I honestly don't remember. The saw is running 40:1 with the carb slightly on the fat side. If I recall correctly the saw is running at 13,600. This saw has a 3/8" chain setup. I had a 3/8" setup on the 550xp and switched back to the .325 setup. My 550xp screams bloody murder with the .325 on it compared to the 254xp with the 3/8" setup. I'm also running an 18" on the 550xp versus a 20" on the 254xp.
You want cutting performance, .325 👍

Latest posts

Back