Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting on the motor to be delivered . Said last Friday that it would be here tomorrow. Now it’s scheduled for this Friday I get automated updates this mornin it said in status : break , at 3pm it’s status: linehaul I know some guys do truck freight on the board so what in the hell does this mean ?

To clear up my confusion, I assumed NPTF meant NPT 'Fine'. It doesn't. Checked the hose fittings with standard NPT fittings. One is JIC 8 (1/2" NPT x 14 tpi) and the other is a JIC 12 (3/4" NPT x 14 tpi).

I'm assuming the control valve is a flare female fitting. Can't find a street tee in JIC. Can I use a a 3/4" NPTF street tee (3000 psi rating)?
View attachment 1165060
Flair fittings (45*) arnt really used in hydraulic systems.
Jic isn't pipe thread. It's two different fittings that don't interchange.
The fitting your picture shows is pipe thread.
Generally speaking valves are either pipe thread or SAE fittings. (Straight thread with o ring.) Log splitter valves are almost always pipe thread for some reason. Usually 3/4" nptf in and out and 1/2" or 3/4" nptf work ports. It's pretty common for the inlet to have a bushing in it to reduce it to 1/2" nptf or have a nptf to jic adaptor. From the pictures you've posted, the first would apply to your inlet hose. Just a bushing to go from to 3/4 to 1/2" pipe thread.

To clear up my confusion, I assumed NPTF meant NPT 'Fine'. It doesn't. Checked the hose fittings with standard NPT fittings. One is JIC 8 (1/2" NPT x 14 tpi) and the other is a JIC 12 (3/4" NPT x 14 tpi).

I'm assuming the control valve is a flare female fitting. Can't find a street tee in JIC. Can I use a a 3/4" NPTF street tee (3000 psi rating)?
View attachment 1165060
That is not a JIC fitting, it is NPTF, National Pipe Thread, Fuel.

I am waiting on the motor to be delivered . Said last Friday that it would be here tomorrow. Now it’s scheduled for this Friday I get automated updates this mornin it said in status : break , at 3pm it’s status: linehaul I know some guys do truck freight on the board so what in the hell does this mean ?
It means the only thing consistent in trucking is change, that and that dispatchers are like ground hogs ;).

I have to wonder if the reason I don't get into hard maple often is because I'm typically cutting in relatively low and wet areas? The hard maple seems to be in dryer terrain. Is this a universal thing?
There is a reason Red Maple is also known as Swamp Maple, but it also grows right next to Sugar Maple.

To clear up my confusion, I assumed NPTF meant NPT 'Fine'. It doesn't.

Just an FYI, nptf differs from npt in that nptf does not require pipe dope or tape for assembly. Both are the same in that they have the same taper and 60° thread angle, and can be used interchangeably. NPTF is typically used on hydraulics or similar systems where tape or dope can potentially contaminate a system. The crest and root system requirements (tooling) of nptf is stricter than npt to ensure a proper dryseal of the mating parts.

Just an FYI, nptf differs from npt in that nptf does not require pipe dope or tape for assembly. Both are the same in that they have the same taper and 60° thread angle, and can be used interchangeably. NPTF is typically used on hydraulics or similar systems where tape or dope can potentially contaminate a system. The crest and root system requirements (tooling) of nptf is stricter than npt to ensure a proper dryseal of the mating parts.
Bingo. Male NPTF fittings will seal just fine when used with stand NPT female fittings, but the thread engagement will seem tight right from the start.

There is a reason Red Maple is also known as Swamp Maple, but it also grows right next to Sugar Maple.
Suggesting that what I see is a local dispersion issue... and/or an observation issue. For example, I never realized how many ash were around until they died! 😉

Suggesting that what I see is a local dispersion issue... and/or an observation issue. For example, I never realized how many ash were around until they died! 😉
Just like you never realize how many vw cars are on the road till you buy one....

I’ve always noticed them …… sitting on the shoulder :crazy2:
can't say I've noticed that, or really any car in particular sitting on the verge. The 2 I've had (have) have been very reliable, given you kept after the timing belt. Both diesel though. Really liked my 86, got it cheap, ran it for a lot of miles. Was sad to let it go. Was so rotten I was afraid to jack it up. The 01 I got last year is originally from the south west, basically zero rust on it, so I expect to have it for anlong time.

My son worked as a tech for VW for a year or so . He said to me “ Don’t even think about buying a new one “ he went to Mercedes and you can’t believe the amount of warranty work they did .
I figure it's a good place to get an education... Whether he stays there long haul is a different story!

I figure it's a good place to get an education... Whether he stays there long haul is a different story!
He left . He is working for a small local company that installs radios and computers in New York State police vehicles . Making more money and it’s an easier job . Seems they can’t get candidates that can pass a background check . He was the only one of three new hires to pass it

My son worked as a tech for VW for a year or so . He said to me “ Don’t even think about buying a new one “ he went to Mercedes and you can’t believe the amount of warranty work they did .
Nothing surprises me when it comes to cars. Probably why I've become a car Luddite... the less tech the better! The $1,000+ tail lights in the new Ford PUs is one example of a stupid "improvement." When used as a work truck broken tail lights are pretty common... especially if you go off-road.

My brother in law works for a chevy dealer down in Lancaster, I expect I'll get some more good stories from him this weekend when we have Easter dinner. He does mostly truck warranty work, but said he was getting sent out for ev training a few moths ago. Can't say I'd buy a new one, and I sure as shite don't want them working on my truck either.

He left . He is working for a small local company that installs radios and computers in New York State police vehicles . Making more money and it’s an easier job . Seems they can’t get candidates that can pass a background check . He was the only one of three new hires to pass it
Times have changed for sure when it comes to substance abuse. When I was in the business many guys, in the front and back, were drunk or stoned at work! I couldn't stand working in that environment... Drunk and/or stoned managers were hard to work with.

Times have changed for sure when it comes to substance abuse. When I was in the business many guys, in the front and back, were drunk or stoned at work! I couldn't stand working in that environment... Drunk and/or stoned managers were hard to work with.
Think it’s more criminal record than drugs .

Back