Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a couple more little buckets split. One nice big round of cherry in each one, only a couple hundred more little buckets to go.
Cherry in the right side of the buckets and oak on the left.
20240329_192428.jpg
20240329_195851.jpg
Trying to focus on clearing the spot on the left side of the trees that are all kinda lined up, basically everything behind the gas can.
I've got a few sticks I need to nibble down to 16" in there I've found, so some saw time is coming there.
20240329_192513.jpg
Last time I was out in the back woods (not my property), I saw this big oak had a crack in it. I planned on cutting the one broken stem and then leaving it. I'll leave it for now, as it looks like it should loose the back stem first(one on the left in the picture). I'd rather choose where it goes down than just let it trash a bunch of trees back there, I lost so many already back there after the wind storm, still haven't finished cleaning that mess up. So much for scrounging.
You can see some of the trees that are down from the wind on the right :cry:.
20240329_200722.jpg

A lot comes from India also.
Now I feel better lol.
That's literally any store in 2024 lol. Hell the majority of all OEM saw parts are made in China now, Might as well get used to it I guess 😕
I buy a lot of older used items, I avoid any new Chinese products as much as possible. That being said, I'm 100% aware that many of the items I use daily are born and raised in china.
Just say it...

That's literally any store in 2024 lol. Hell the majority of all OEM saw parts are made in China now, Might as well get used to it I guess 😕
I’ve actually been finding more American made stuff lately just the other day at lowes I bought this IMG_8059.jpeg

Stopped by Harbor Freight to get a pack of zip ties and some brake cleaner. This happens literally every time I walk in the place! Still forgot the zip ties :dumb2:

View attachment 1165694
I don't go into stores to shop... I go in to buy when I need something and then it's in and out. That said, I was looking for something in Quicken last evening and found I had made 497 purchases at my nearby independent hardware store/lumber yard. I seldom buy tools there... 😵

While I'm waiting for the parts to diagnose the loss of power of my Brave 22 Ton splitter, I thought I'd get ahead and start looking for the parts that may need to be replaced.
Once I have the gauge installed and it reads low, I'm guessing I'll need a new pump. IPL lists it as BR002003 hydraulic pump. A quick Google search shows a lot of pumps (generics?) out there. Any recommendation on brands? I guess mine is only a single stage?

Once I have the inlet to the cylinder capped off, and I get blow-by, again I'm assuming, the cylinder can be repaired with new seals or O-rings? The price of OEM cylinders (BR004074R) is almost what I paid for the splitter.

Now I feel better lol.

I buy a lot of older used items, I avoid any new Chinese products as much as possible. That being said, I'm 100% aware that many of the items I use daily are born and raised in china.
Just say it...

Honestly, I felt guilty for buying the Predator engine. I've been looking for a used Honda but everyone wants a mint for clean ones and the cheaper ones look like they have about 5000 hours on 'em. It became a matter of convenience, unfortunately.

I don't go into stores to shop... I go in to buy when I need something and then it's in and out. That said, I was looking for something in Quicken last evening and found I had made 497 purchases at my nearby independent hardware store/lumber yard. I seldom buy tools there... 😵
I like getting the little cheap stuff from HF. Hand tools, disposables, odds and ends. Stuff I don't generally use a ton. Like a $5 finish hammer or a $4 rubber mallet, $3 flat bar etc.

Damn, you must buy a lot of lumber!

Honestly, I felt guilty for buying the Predator engine. I've been looking for a used Honda but everyone wants a mint for clean ones and the cheaper ones look like they have about 5000 hours on 'em. It became a matter of convenience, unfortunately.
Don't feel guilty, you gotta do what works for you. I prioritize my small bank account over the bank account of an American company at the end of the day lol.

While I'm waiting for the parts to diagnose the loss of power of my Brave 22 Ton splitter, I thought I'd get ahead and start looking for the parts that may need to be replaced.
Once I have the gauge installed and it reads low, I'm guessing I'll need a new pump. IPL lists it as BR002003 hydraulic pump. A quick Google search shows a lot of pumps (generics?) out there. Any recommendation on brands?

Once I have the inlet to the cylinder capped off, and I get blow-by, again I'm assuming, the cylinder can be repaired with new seals or O-rings? The price of OEM cylinders (BR004074R) is almost what I paid for the splitter.
Tbh, I've been running a no name pump and cylinder for thr better part of 10 years now. 8 of them was 10 ish cord a year for my uses and both brothers and dad used it for a few of those years so add in whatever they split. Past 2 possibly closer to 3 years I've kinda taken over for dad more and more on wood duty. So its upped my splitting in the 15-20 cord range. Haven't had any issues with either save the cylinder weeps a little on real cold winter morning till it gets some heat in it. Had more issues with the cheapo valve that came with the set. Even the pump mount and live joy couppler is hanging in there just fine.

I like getting the little cheap stuff from HF. Hand tools, disposables, odds and ends. Stuff I don't generally use a ton. Like a $5 finish hammer or a $4 rubber mallet, $3 flat bar etc.

Lumber and outdoor power equipment (Stihl, Ferris, Ariens) along with consumables and repair parts make up the bulk of it... I know where everything is in the store. 😉

Yes they do. Different sizes and mixes. When I hauled mine for my shop there were 4 different varieties. I haven't gotten any in so long I no longer know what they have and how much it is.

When I installed my driveway I laid synthetic geotextile fabric down before I laid any aggregate. It wasn't cheap but it keeps your aggregate from pushing its way down into the mud as you drive on it.

I built it in '17 and drive by it to and from work and it still looks the same as it did the day I laid it.
More questions. Is the synthetic geotextile fabric just silt fencing or is there a grade specifically for driveways?

More questions. Is the synthetic geotextile fabric just silt fencing or is there a grade specifically for driveways?
The stuff I used was actually 4' wide rolls of woven landscaping fabric. I was told that it's the same stuff as the 16' wide driveway-specific stuff but much cheaper.

So yes, I'd venture to say it's the same type of stuff as silt fencing. After all, both applications require stopping silt migration.

I’ve actually been finding more American made stuff lately just the other day at lowes I bought this View attachment 1165713
That's awesome. I look many times and sometimes theres something that's hecho in USA, but many times there are no alternatives when buying new.
Just posted this in the good morning thread, but this is one of my favorites, it's big!
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 6.28.47 PM.png
Don't do that to yourself. But, grace is an awesome thing, and today is a great day for remembering that :).
For an item like that I usually buy them off Craigslist or "offer up". If I needed a splitter quick but mine needed an engine, I'd buy a used splitter and get my wood split, then buy the motor later if I couldn't find one.

That's why they sell all that junk, they know we'll buy it like candy in a machine :sweet:, then before you know it, they own us :nofunny:. One dollar at a time, "death by a thousand cuts" anyone know where that comes from, and no I'm not talking about a Taylor swift song 🤮.
I've been saying this since the mid 90's, unless something changes soon, I won't be able to say it anymore...

Need some help on this guys.
So I've been trying to figure out for a while now, what type of oaks I have here at the house. Tonight when splitting, I found them quite noticeably different.
Not sure, but guessing the more red one is red oak (right piece), and the smoother thin bark and darker color is black oak?
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 10.21.51 PM.png
Here's a piece of the stuff on the left from the bark side, nearly looks like maple.
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 10.23.13 PM.png
Same piece flipped over.
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 10.23.35 PM.png

Latest posts

Back