Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap ? I don’t think that, they are on par with GM crate engines . But with a much better warranty and customer support . The block and heads are made in the US as is the intake . Believe the only imported part is the distributor and maybe the cam .
Stay on topic friend 😆.
We're talking about harbor freight, not that sweet motor you picked up :).

Stay on topic friend 😆.
We're talking about harbor freight, not that sweet motor you picked up :).
Ya I should read the whole thread before posting . :laugh:

I bought the little predator engine for the model T go cart . I paid $89 dollars for it at their sidewalk sale . Works great

Ya I should read the whole thread before posting . :laugh:

I bought the little predator engine for the model T go cart . I paid $89 dollars for it at their sidewalk sale . Works great
Sometimes I read a post here and I'm shocked, then I figure out I was off their topic lol.
Yeah, that's cheap! I'd buy a pressure washer with a bad pump and use that motor.

While I'm waiting for the parts to diagnose the loss of power of my Brave 22 Ton splitter, I thought I'd get ahead and start looking for the parts that may need to be replaced.
Once I have the gauge installed and it reads low, I'm guessing I'll need a new pump. IPL lists it as BR002003 hydraulic pump. A quick Google search shows a lot of pumps (generics?) out there. Any recommendation on brands? I guess mine is only a single stage?

Once I have the inlet to the cylinder capped off, and I get blow-by, again I'm assuming, the cylinder can be repaired with new seals or O-rings? The price of OEM cylinders (BR004074R) is almost what I paid for the splitter.
Had a local guy rebuild my cylinder. I'm not real mechanically inclined . Cost me $170 and it was done right. Look at surplus center for a pump.

I won't disagree that many of them are decent engines; but they aren't priced reasonable, they are priced cheap, and there's a reason for that.

All you need to do is buy a sweet truck, then put a wrap on it advertising your business and you'll at least get to write off something on your taxes.
Small print, I'm not a tax guy, so please talk to our resident tax guy for accurate tax advice. But heck, in the scrounge thread everyone can be whatever they want, so just do it, it will be okay :laugh:.
That truck was at the towman show in Baltimore this past February. They build custom boxes/enclosures/work beds. Mostly for fire, ems and ambulances. They are trying hard branch out into recovery (on and off road) and get into forest fire sceen. So they built a heavier truck on that premises. It's pretty impressive, but was close to $200k price tag how it was at the show. Front and rear 12k winches, lockers front and rear, heavy haul package, custom suspension, upfitters package, wheels tires. The guy alluded it was the high output 6.7L diesel. So plenty of power on tap. The bed/box was a bit dorky, but showcased what they had to offer very well. Definatly over built for most needs. I may take a few ques from it for my crew cab.
Cheap ? I don’t think that, they are on par with GM crate engines . But with a much better warranty and customer support . The block and heads are made in the US as is the intake . Believe the only imported part is the distributor and maybe the cam .
We're were talking about horror fright engines.

That's awesome. I look many times and sometimes theres something that's hecho in USA, but many times there are no alternatives when buying new.
Just posted this in the good morning thread, but this is one of my favorites, it's big!
View attachment 1165718

Don't do that to yourself. But, grace is an awesome thing, and today is a great day for remembering that :).
For an item like that I usually buy them off Craigslist or "offer up". If I needed a splitter quick but mine needed an engine, I'd buy a used splitter and get my wood split, then buy the motor later if I couldn't find one.

That's why they sell all that junk, they know we'll buy it like candy in a machine :sweet:, then before you know it, they own us :nofunny:. One dollar at a time, "death by a thousand cuts" anyone know where that comes from, and no I'm not talking about a Taylor swift song 🤮.
I've been saying this since the mid 90's, unless something changes soon, I won't be able to say it anymore...

I identified that as Camping World without reading the sign.... The huge flags have become a form of trademark for them. I drive by one regularly... I used to work for the company that owned the place before Camping World... they had multiple car dealerships, self storage, camping and other businesses. One of their businesses was being the dealer who sold Coachman the Ford chassis used to build motorhomes. They bought the chassis from Ford and sold them to Coachman making money by shuffling the paperwork.... drop shipped directly to Coachman. The dealership model was strong back then.... Now, not so much.

RE the thousand cuts. That was a Chinese torture technique that typically ended in death. Seems to me I heard about that at about the same time I heard about the boiled frog syndrome. Both are used as metaphors for how we are slowly being killed by government through an ever increasing number of laws, regulations and taxes. Those metaphors are used in other contexts also.

My town will load it for free when they are grinding roads. You must have a truck to pick it up.
I'm surprised they give it away. It's often recycled back into new black top... though my associates did get thousands of yards of it one time from NYSDOT to use as the base on a segment of rail trail. Where it was installed there was a substantial sub-base that was intended for 2 lanes of a 4 lane state highway. Plans were changed and they only paved (concrete) two of those lanes. Without that sub-base I imagine it wouldn't have help up long at all.

I identified that as Camping World without reading the sign.... The huge flags have become a form of trademark for them. I drive by one regularly... I used to work for the company that owned the place before Camping World... they had multiple car dealerships, self storage, camping and other businesses. One of their businesses was being the dealer who sold Coachman the Ford chassis used to build motorhomes. They bought the chassis from Ford and sold them to Coachman making money by shuffling the paperwork.... drop shipped directly to Coachman. The dealership model was strong back then.... Now, not so much.

RE the thousand cuts. That was a Chinese torture technique that typically ended in death. Seems to me I heard about that at about the same time I heard about the boiled frog syndrome. Both are used as metaphors for how we are slowly being killed by government through an ever increasing number of laws, regulations and taxes. Those metaphors are used in other contexts also.
Yep, I like those flags.
I plan on putting some flag "signs" on the gable ends of the barn, maybe before winter, we'll see. But, if I got a deal on a huge flagpole, I'd go that route, they aren't cheap though.

Yep, and now they are torturing us and we are paying for it and our kids/grandkids will even more so.
One thing I dont get, is do politicians really think their children/ grandkids won't be effected by their poor decisions, this goes for both sides. Gives a whole different perspective of who the useful idiots are, watching them it's not hard to see though.
I saw Mr Washington state lawyer saying that form 4's are going thru real quick now. Wonder if there's a silencer company paying him to promote it(maybe they agreed to give him more wood for his studio lol). If the Texas case goes thru the ATF will loose all authority over regulating them and the prices will drop like mad. I know I'll be in that line :happy:. Regardless, my can identifies as a suppressor 🤣.

Honestly, I felt guilty for buying the Predator engine. I've been looking for a used Honda but everyone wants a mint for clean ones and the cheaper ones look like they have about 5000 hours on 'em. It became a matter of convenience, unfortunately.
I guess I have been very lucky in Mass finding Honda motors. I bought (2) 6.5hp Hondas for $25 each. Both of them came off of pressure washers. I found them on FB Marketplace. Both were local and I was able to get them right away.

I guess I have been very lucky in Mass finding Honda motors. I bought (2) 6.5hp Hondas for $25 each. Both of them came off of pressure washers. I found them on FB Marketplace. Both were local and I was able to get them right away.
In the county I live people are known for being penny pinchers. They won't pay a fair price for something and they sell junk for too much. They'd rather sit on something for years to get top dollar for it rather than sell it for a fair price and move on.

Latest posts

Back