Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised they give it away. It's often recycled back into new black top... though my associates did get thousands of yards of it one time from NYSDOT to use as the base on a segment of rail trail. Where it was installed there was a substantial sub-base that was intended for 2 lanes of a 4 lane state highway. Plans were changed and they only paved (concrete) two of those lanes. Without that sub-base I imagine it wouldn't have help up long at all.
I heard they did it due to hauling fees.

My town will load it for free when they are grinding roads. You must have a truck to pick it up.
That's great, it was paid for the people, why shouldn't they be able to get it back.
They did some surface grinding on the road down the hill, then chip sealed it and actually vacuumed up the excess, a guy I know was right in the middle of that section and talked them into leaving it all at his place, it's still sitting there in piles lol. I don't think it's the best for spreading on a drive as there's nothing to bind it.
I heard they did it due to hauling fees.
Many times that's true, I heard it's because the truckers are making too much 😅.

That truck was at the towman show in Baltimore this past February. They build custom boxes/enclosures/work beds. Mostly for fire, ems and ambulances. They are trying hard branch out into recovery (on and off road) and get into forest fire sceen. So they built a heavier truck on that premises. It's pretty impressive, but was close to $200k price tag how it was at the show. Front and rear 12k winches, lockers front and rear, heavy haul package, custom suspension, upfitters package, wheels tires. The guy alluded it was the high output 6.7L diesel. So plenty of power on tap. The bed/box was a bit dorky, but showcased what they had to offer very well. Definatly over built for most needs. I may take a few ques from it for my crew cab.
That's a lot of cash, but if it's a municipality paying, who cares right :nofunny:. Kinda like our fancy new 1.8 million dollar pedestrian bridge, can't imagine what the future maintenance costs will be on that, but getting everyone to drive to a park so they can walk/ride across a bridge is gonna probably save the world somehow or something. Rant over, for a little...
That truck in the pic I posted was actually a dodge, and it was a diesel of some sort, she was rolling a bit of coal when it took off from the light a bit up the road, cause merica right lol.

Don't feel bad, they are good engine at a reasonable price. Honda, kohler and even Briggs have about priced themselves stupid anymore. Parts are stupid money too. We've more or less been driven to this stuff as affordable options vs the og stuff we had years ago
The Honda will outlive them all.

That's great, it was paid for the people, why shouldn't they be able to get it back.
They did some surface grinding on the road down the hill, then chip sealed it and actually vacuumed up the excess, a guy I know was right in the middle of that section and talked them into leaving it all at his place, it's still sitting there in piles lol. I don't think it's the best for spreading on a drive as there's nothing to bind it.

Many times that's true, I heard it's because the truckers are making too much 😅.
The last load of 3/4 stone that I bought in January cost me $90 to have it delivered. The sand and gravel place is about 7 or 8 miles from me. That was 21 ton worth of stone.

I'm surprised they give it away. It's often recycled back into new black top... though my associates did get thousands of yards of it one time from NYSDOT to use as the base on a segment of rail trail. Where it was installed there was a substantial sub-base that was intended for 2 lanes of a 4 lane state highway. Plans were changed and they only paved (concrete) two of those lanes. Without that sub-base I imagine it wouldn't have help up long at all.
supposedly there was some dumb law passed making used road materials a "hazardous waste" applies to anything used on the road, even cinders. Has to either go to a sanitary landfill or go back into the road. Cheaper and easier put it back in the road. We even started sweaping up cinders after winter and trucking them back to the old shop to get mixed into heavy road base. Just stupid. If anyone stopped and asked for it we'd dump it off wherever they wanted.
The Honda will outlive them all.
We used to run the 5.5hp Honda (gx190 I think it is.) engines with the integral 6 to 1 gear reduction on the little antique cars, get about 2 seasons out of them before they were worn out. Send them out for a rebuild, usually getting bored oversize. Cost 3/4 of what a new engine cost and wouldnt quite make it another 2 years. About 3 years or so they started getting some sort of cheap knock off engines. Less then half the price of the Honda, and make it the same 2 years the Honda engines did. They just trash them now and get new engines. I want to say they are lifan or something like that. They work.

That's a lot of cash, but if it's a municipality paying, who cares right :nofunny:. Kinda like our fancy new 1.8 million dollar pedestrian bridge, can't imagine what the future maintenance costs will be on that, but getting everyone to drive to a park so they can walk/ride across a bridge is gonna probably save the world somehow or something. Rant over, for a little...
That truck in the pic I posted was actually a dodge, and it was a diesel of some sort, she was rolling a bit of coal when it took off from the light a bit up the road, cause merica right lol.
Don't get me started. I had the misfortune to help spec out some equipment and a few trucks while at the township. The state bid is a good but cheaper then what the average Joe gets, but it's just a base model truck. Till we were done specing out the 5500 it jumped the price from $37k to $58k and that wasn't with a bed, plow or the v-box salter. That all added up to over $80k once it left the upfitters.
Another example, we got a road widener before I started there. Hooked up to the loader and ran off the loader hydraulics. Usually they have a little engine and someone stands on a platform to adjust the wing, material flow off the belt and direct the truck driver. Nope, the guy that ordered it wanted to be able to do everything from the csb of the loader. So everything was electric over hydraulic. Well we came to find out that he couldn't see what was going on in the ditch with the wing, couldn't see the belt and couldn't see the truck drivers. So someone (me at the time) had to walk beside the widener and tell him what to do. All that extra stuff took a $60k machine to $100k...

supposedly there was some dumb law passed making used road materials a "hazardous waste" applies to anything used on the road, even cinders. Has to either go to a sanitary landfill or go back into the road. Cheaper and easier put it back in the road. We even started sweaping up cinders after winter and trucking them back to the old shop to get mixed into heavy road base. Just stupid. If anyone stopped and asked for it we'd dump it off wherever they wanted.
Geez... sounds like rail road ties and utility poles in NY. They can only be repurposed for industrial use, i.e., for rail roads and utility purposes. No more use for landscaping, docks, etc... I suspect many go out of NY to get around that and the true waste goes somewhere out of state for incineration (according to a local tourist railroad). The RR can leave the debris on their ROW indefinitely and they have done that in the past.

In the county I live people are known for being penny pinchers. They won't pay a fair price for something and they sell junk for too much. They'd rather sit on something for years to get top dollar for it rather than sell it for a fair price and move on.
I'll have to check the family tree. Didn't know I had relatives in WISCONSIN.:surprised3:

Back