Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it's not in an open fireplace, and the neighbors don't have to smell it, it's great stuff :blob2:.
I split about a big bucket of BL today(it's still laying on the ground), and I think 3 small buckets for the selling pile today.
Here's one.
View attachment 1166065
I'm finally making a little dent in the pile, best quick progress I'll see for a while now that I'm getting into the taller portion of the pile.
View attachment 1166066View attachment 1166067
Also flush cut three stumps out in front. The two trees I dropped last sunday morning, and then one that was leaning over our shared driveway into the neighbors after the wind storm.
View attachment 1166068
View attachment 1166069
That first pic looks like Cherry!

Dam, I guess I qualify...
What's up brother :cheers:.
I got my quote back for all the metal, trim, screws etc for the shop. $4900.00 and some change.(that includes some tin for the patio roof too.) Going to pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday.
Figured the lean to will cost another $1k in lumber. My brother is getting me a quote in the steel for the door/door frame. He guessed it would be under $400.00. Just leaves some hinges, conduit, load or two of stone and time. Going to focus on the roof first, then walls. The lean to will be last on the list. I guess I'll have to stop and make some time to tear the roof off my current wood shed. The roof rafters are rough cut 2"x10"x 12' white oak. Since I have to take it down as per the township, I may as well reused the wood. I didn't factor any of that into the lean to, so it should save me a bit of money.
The wire I ordered showed up the other day. So I need to get a ditch dug and get some conduit in the ground, but I'm not worried about that till after I have the roof and sides on. Super excited right now. I have a 4 day weekend next weekend, so I hope to make some good progress.
What metal running a ft out there. Do you guy have any Amish suppliers there, I check a couple here and they were more than the "Englishmen" I used.
That sounds exciting!!! Post some progress pics along the way
Yeah "post" pics please 😆.
Our BL smells just fine, burning. Are yours growing over a leach line? 🤣
Nope lol. Must be you have better air out there.
Get after it chipper!
That's right, it probably took me 4hr hrs to do that 2.5hrs of work, and that was all for me :rare2:. Oh well, better days coming :).
That first pic looks like Cherry!
You're correct.
Cherry on the right and top, and oak(of some sorts) on the left. If you look closely at the picture taken from back a ways, you can see that bucketfull had a bunch of mulberry on the left side/top. This pile is mainly and in this order I'd guess; Cherry, oaks, black locust, maple(red, silver, sugar), mulberry, little HVBW, and a couple others, just don't remember right now(oh, maybe a bit of hackberry).
Last night I went for a little hike out back. The boy built this bridge by hand, maybe I need to work him harder than I do, I always tell him to take it easy and I'll help him.
20240330_192854.jpg20240330_195925.jpg
He didn't build this one.
20240330_194557.jpg
Saw some of the "cold" oaks. My gloves are at the split, it's a nice sized tree, wonder how old it is.
20240330_193938.jpg
Didn't find any sheds or arrowheads, but I found this :badpc:...
The boy should be happy if it still works, thumb 👍 drive.
20240330_192528.jpg

Happy Easter everyone. Off to church and then festivities at our house.

Got the Easter ham on the Traeger. Since I had the smoker warmed up I put a couple butts on as well.View attachment 1166172
Man dude, making me hungry :sweet:
You aren't the only one who wanted some pork today(the irony of pork on Easter cracks me up).

Here's an example of an engine for sale locally.View attachment 1166187Seems a little high to me...he's had it for sale for at least a couple months.
I got 5 free snow blowers a couple years ago... various sources. I know where there is another one right now... 8 HP. Outside of doing a valve job on one because the exhaust valve was sticking, the Tecumseh engines themselves were fine. I put new carbs on two of them. They were all in the 5-8 HP range and 3 of them are in active service as snow blowers. I've got two in reserve. Around here snow blowers don't get a lot of hours put on them but carb problems from sitting around with fuel in them is common.

In terms of repurposing, the problem with snow blower engines is they lack air filters. Scrounging up air filter assemblies is probably doable given the number of dead mowers around... which often have bad engines (lots more use and poor maintenance). Maybe instead of looking for engines look for snow blowers that people are giving away... Obviously this suggestion has a regional component to it. 🤪

Here's an example of an engine for sale locally.View attachment 1166187Seems a little high to me...he's had it for sale for at least a couple months.
It's high, but he knows what he's got 🤣.
I got 5 free snow blowers a couple years ago... various sources. I know where there is another one right now... 8 HP. Outside of doing a valve job on one because the exhaust valve was sticking, the Tecumseh engines themselves were fine. I put new carbs on two of them. They were all in the 5-8 HP range and 3 of them are in active service as snow blowers. I've got two in reserve. Around here snow blowers don't get a lot of hours put on them but carb problems from sitting around with fuel in them is common.

In terms of repurposing, the problem with snow blower engines is they lack air filters. Scrounging up air filter assemblies is probably doable given the number of dead mowers around... which often have bad engines (lots more use and poor maintenance). Maybe instead of looking for engines look for snow blowers that people are giving away... Obviously this suggestion has a regional component to it. 🤪
Pressure washers are the best deal around here for horizontal motors around here most times. Even so there are deals to be had on them in all sorts of products, since that's what honda did a lot of(supplying engines). One of the main searches I run on Craigslist is "honda", under for sale, I've bought and sold hundreds of honda products thru the yrs, and still have a crap ton of their stuff here.
My last two were both Hondas, one with a 12hp(is it 12 or 11 🤔) for 125, and one for 175 with a 13hp engine. Both of them worked, but the pump was leaking oil on the cheaper one and the bigger one needed a new hose, which I already had. I also have a nice 5.5 honda pressure washer in the basement that I've had for many yrs, should bring it up and run it a bit, maybe in a couple weeks.

What's up brother :cheers:.

What metal running a ft out there. Do you guy have any Amish suppliers there, I check a couple here and they were more than the "Englishmen" I used.

Yeah "post" pics please 😆.

Nope lol. Must be you have better air out there.

That's right, it probably took me 4hr hrs to do that 2.5hrs of work, and that was all for me :rare2:. Oh well, better days coming :).

You're correct.
Cherry on the right and top, and oak(of some sorts) on the left. If you look closely at the picture taken from back a ways, you can see that bucketfull had a bunch of mulberry on the left side/top. This pile is mainly and in this order I'd guess; Cherry, oaks, black locust, maple(red, silver, sugar), mulberry, little HVBW, and a couple others, just don't remember right now(oh, maybe a bit of hackberry).
Last night I went for a little hike out back. The boy built this bridge by hand, maybe I need to work him harder than I do, I always tell him to take it easy and I'll help him.
View attachment 1166182View attachment 1166183
He didn't build this one.
View attachment 1166184
Saw some of the "cold" oaks. My gloves are at the split, it's a nice sized tree, wonder how old it is.
View attachment 1166185
Didn't find any sheds or arrowheads, but I found this :badpc:...
The boy should be happy if it still works, thumb 👍 drive.
View attachment 1166186
Prices went up Neary $1.00 ft. Here's my quote from yesterday and prices from 21. It's actually not that much more tin then what the roof took on the house. Screenshot_20240330_111119_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20240331_110250_Drive.jpg

Prices went up Neary $1.00 ft. Here's my quote from yesterday and prices from 21. It's actually not that much more tin then what the roof took on the house. View attachment 1166242View attachment 1166243
I figured that's where you would go. All the metal put on here came from them. They had a place in Shippensburg but sold it to the guys that were running the place. One of my favorite places to go for stuff. They even have the bar oil.:happybanana:

I should stop ebaying. I have a Stihl 038 Mag on the bench I've had apart for about a year now needing crank seals and bearings. Found them but amazingly enough, a nearly complete 038 Magnum also ended up in my cart as well. :laugh: They're my favorite saw to date.

Happy scrounging gents.

I should stop ebaying. I have a Stihl 038 Mag on the bench I've had apart for about a year now needing crank seals and bearings. Found them but amazingly enough, a nearly complete 038 Magnum also ended up in my cart as well. :laugh: They're my favorite saw to date.

Happy scrounging gents.
You need a Mag 2

Back