Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had one of those big rear wheel, wheel horse years ago. As I recall it had a hydraulic lift/3 point too. Was great little tractor.

A-men... constantly finding that out about myself.

My son was sick most of yesterday, so I got nominated to take off work today. He puked again around 9am and was bouncing off the walls by 10. Said screw it, tossed him in the expedition and ran to Paul B Zimmermans. Got the through roof kit and a 4 foot section of chimney pipe. Few other little odds and ends. Bill was right around $600.00. The kit was $369.00 and pipe $199.00. Which is cheaper then it was when I put up the dura vent chimney on the house. I'm not sure what this brand kit cost before, but it was sitting on the shelf for quite some time judging by the inch of dust on the top of it.
Either way, I need the stuff to finish the shop. Going over to dad's to raid the barn for lumber before I run to lowes and get whatever dad doesn't need. One of my friends is letting me use his commercial account to get the lumber from lowes, so that should save me a few bucks too.
Hope he gets better quick, sounds like he's already set. I'm still not 100%, but I'm not letting it stop me, it's probably just allergies.
Awesome you got a deal on the pipe and all, that stuff ain't cheap. I spent 800 on the stuff for my chimney, it's very short, and that was back in 2010. Wonder what it would cost these days :envy:.
Look forward to seeing your progress, getting a roof over it will sure be nice.
Hmmmm wonder if it would bolt up? That would be incredible. Would have to be a torgie monster. Those old Kohler cast irons were animals.
Not sure about that.
I've seen a few of them on different things thru the yrs.
My kind of gun
Like an AR 😅.
What a beauty.
Dad's got a small barrel skeet 101, nice little shooter.
Grizz, this is a Browning repo of a 71

It’s actually my sister’s, I got a lead on it (MustangMan) and went to look at it, but she fell in love and wanted her first lever

Stamped too??

View attachment 1167430View attachment 1167431
Perty!

That Beretta looks like my al2. Won it off my dad at a block shoot. Last shoot the club always does winner takes all. I was running cards so I didn't shoot all day. Wasn't a lot of us there, so we all agreed everyone would shoot if they wanted to, and everyone would get to see each card during judging under the magnifier. Dad said (jokingly) said if I won I could have the gun. By flat out dumb luck, I had a BB hit dead center of the X. Dad forked the Beretta over and I gave the club the money
Don't mind the shell catcher on it, shoot trap and doubles with it. No one likes getting pelted with a shell shooting trap, but for whatever reason no one seems to care shooting doubles.
That’s exactly what it is! I grabbed it when the one daughter outgrew the .410 so she could move into a 20ga and the little one could get the .410

That’s exactly what it is! I grabbed it when the one daughter outgrew the .410 so she could move into a 20ga and the little one could get the .410
I got a crappy but functional .410 bolt here for whichever kid decideds they want to shoot first. I kept my first 870 express 20ga for the same reason.

Grizz, this is a Browning repo of a 71

It’s actually my sister’s, I got a lead on it (MustangMan) and went to look at it, but she fell in love and wanted her first lever

Stamped too??

View attachment 1167430View attachment 1167431
Photos and wear can be misleading... However, using some general guidelines I suspect the 101 was hand done as the pattern rolls around the edges beyond the flats. I've seen video of factory production engravers and they worked fast! The Berretta looks stamped as it's only on the flats. The Fox... stamped. The 71 appears to be a combination of stamped and hand work--the later due to the inlays. If all hand done I'd also expect the screw heads in the game scene to be engraved... at least that is what I've seen on other hand engraved guns. If anyone else has more experience I'd be happy to hear what they think. As with everything, I consider myself to be a student... willing to learn!

Something Lynton said to look for on "factory" guns in an effort to determine if it's stamped, etched or cast vs. hand cut engraving (either chased or engraver) is how crisp the lines are and to also look to see if there is anyplace where the engraving is undercut. Hand cut engraving has sharp well defined "lines" and there are often undercuts in evidence. Stamped work tends to look "washed out" in comparison and there are no undercuts. This as something sharp and undercut would tend to stick to the die... though a repeatedly used die would lose sharpness. He told a story about how he was commissioned to create the master for a limited edition commemorative belt buckle... Yes he did the original engraving but to "clean it up" for production they rounded off all the sharp edges! He was dumbfounded that they had him, one of the best in the world, do the engraving and then they trashed it! LOL

Photos and wear can be misleading... However, using some general guidelines I suspect the 101 was hand done as the pattern rolls around the edges beyond the flats. I've seen video of factory production engravers and they worked fast! The Berretta looks stamped as it's only on the flats. The Fox... stamped. The 71 appears to be a combination of stamped and hand work--the later due to the inlays. If all hand done I'd also expect the screw heads in the game scene to be engraved... at least that is what I've seen on other hand engraved guns. If anyone else has more experience I'd be happy to hear what they think. As with everything, I consider myself to be a student... willing to learn!

Something Lynton said to look for on "factory" guns in an effort to determine if it's stamped, etched or cast vs. hand cut engraving (either chased or engraver) is how crisp the lines are and to also look to see if there is anyplace where the engraving is undercut. Hand cut engraving has sharp well defined "lines" and there are often undercuts in evidence. Stamped work tends to look "washed out" in comparison and there are no undercuts. This as something sharp and undercut would tend to stick to the die... though a repeatedly used die would lose sharpness. He told a story about how he was commissioned to create the master for a limited edition commemorative belt buckle... Yes he did the original engraving but to "clean it up" for production they rounded off all the sharp edges! He was dumbfounded that they had him, one of the best in the world, do the engraving and then they trashed it! LOL
P.S. Now we have CNC and laser cut "engraving" too which muddies the waters. The best way I can describe those "precise" methods is that they leave an image that is sterile... without life. Kind of like the CNC machined, and even engraved and carved, flintlock rifle kits. Compared to a hand crafted, hand carved, hand engraved gun they look sterile! Yes they may replicate the design but they don't bring the life with them...

P.S.S I should have mentioned rolled in the same breath as stamped... Generally on flat surfaces but is used on curved surfaces such as barrels. It's often noticeable on barrels as the middle of the lettering, or middle row of the lettering, is deeper than the top and bottom edges.

I noticed that in the photo but had chalked it up to damage... Do you think they were errant cuts?
They are hard to describe

Didn’t keep me from buying the shotgun, I was happy to find a combination one

It has the single barrel for trap too

Almost looks like “chatter” marks

They are hard to describe

Didn’t keep me from buying the shotgun, I was happy to find a combination one

It has the single barrel for trap too

Almost looks like “chatter” marks
Having both types of barrels is nice! I hear you on the marks. I'm not opposed to "honest wear" on guns... abuse and neglect are whole different stories.

Here's some hand engraving on one of my guns, in the German style,

20180328-172806-S.jpg

I use it around here for "pest" control,

20180328-112403-S.jpg

It's been a fun gun to have around.

SR

I'm not familiar with that particular gun. I have handled side lever guns though where the side lever was for opening. Does the top lever unlock it and the side lever open it???
JEEEEEZE, I forgot what gun/pict. I posted and I was spaced out!!

The top lever switches the right hammer to the bottom rifle barrel.

There, I finally got it right! lol

SR

Back