Scrounging just got serious

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a line on a deckover 8'x16' gooseneck with tandem duals, 5' sidewalls. Let is sit and ended up sold. Would have been perfect for me scraping, log hauler, skidloader trailer.

Have fun with the trailer!

What you get with mileage in the 6.4?

My 5.7 Hemi sucks gas bad when a load on. And without. it is a '05 tho.

I had a line on a deckover 8'x16' gooseneck with tandem duals, 5' sidewalls. Let is sit and ended up sold. Would have been perfect for me scraping, log hauler, skidloader trailer.

Have fun with the trailer!

What you get with mileage in the 6.4?

My 5.7 Hemi sucks gas bad when a load on. And without. it is a '05 tho.
The 4th Gen 5.7l do much better than previous models by a good bit. I have 4th gens in both 5.7 and 6.4l. The 6.4l does everything just a little bit better. Which makes sense.

Those are all perfectly applicable to a 6.0L, 6.4L and 6.7L PSD! I have noticed that probably 75%+ of the work and farm diesel trucks around here are 7.3s. The rest of them are usually "owned" by some 18yo kid spending dad's money and lifted with a bunch of "accessories" like a glorified Honda Civic in the early 2000s. Or some contractor who has to have the shiny new 60k truck to show his clout.

I would own a 12v 5.9L if it didn't come wrapped up in a Dodge! Duramax? Well...that's just funny.

14' is all I need to get my tractor with loader and forks into. 16' adds another 1000 pounds to the unloaded weight of the trailer and both are 14,000 gvw.

In other words, more cargo capacity.

Sent from a field

You can get more weight but less volume. 10000 pounds of wood is a lot of wood and probably not possible on a 14' trailer unless you put some sides on it. The wt difference from a 14 to a 16' trailer is less than 300 pounds according to Lamar trailers website. It doesn't really matter as you got a nice trailer that I would love to have...and a tractor to boot, which I would also love to have.

I think it would be difficult to get 9700 pounds of wood on a 16' trailer.

http://lamartrailer.net/lamar_products/10-14k-low-profile-dump/

What is the advantage of a deck over trailer as opposed to a regular dump trailer?

The deckovers sit a little higher than a regular dump trailer. So theoretically speaking they dump a little better sitting up higher. Your pile of firewood after you dump is not as long. This also makes it a little harder to haul and load equipment/tractors and skid steers because they sit higher. We don't use ours for that so it is not an issue for me. I really like that the sides fold down. We can load logs from the side of the trailer without having to go over the top of the side rails, it makes it easy to load the splits as well. Just throw them in until you get it full, fold up the side, and then only the last couple of pieces do you have to go over the side rails.

You can get more weight but less volume. 10000 pounds of wood is a lot of wood and probably not possible on a 14' trailer unless you put some sides on it. The wt difference from a 14 to a 16' trailer is less than 300 pounds according to Lamar trailers website. It doesn't really matter as you got a nice trailer that I would love to have...and a tractor to boot, which I would also love to have.

I think it would be difficult to get 9700 pounds of wood on a 16' trailer.

http://lamartrailer.net/lamar_products/10-14k-low-profile-dump/
In the style and manufacturer I purchased, going to a 16' automatically gets you a scissor hoist. Thats where the majority of additional weight comes from.

Thanks!

I've had a 16' Griffin brand for 6 years now. Made in Elkhart Inidana. Bought it based on price. Looks identical to Legend.

Cons- Dump angle isn't enough sometimes (gotta game plan where to dump, slopes and getting square), every one I have seen has horrid paint-especially mine, illegal weight wise as far as CDL and combo weight stickers and more than what my old black 1 ton duramax is rated for, stock jack was useless, stock marine battery was too small, floor could afford to be slightly heavier, the rear D-rings jam split wood and you have to keep freeing it when dumping.

I absolutely love mine. I can fit 2 cords loose, loaded very heaping and 12"x16' side boards. That's right at 14k# (5k empty), so 8-9k# of wood. 2 straight ram setup works fine. Has dumped 14k load, moving gravel around yard. Solar charger when dumping 5-10 times a day is a must. Much better luck with the biggest marine battery that will fit, if you are going to push it.

Also, depending on how heavy your tractor is, you NEED rear trailer support when you are loading and unloading. It will bend the frame where the traingle of the tongue turns into the side rail frame support beams. Ask me how I know.....20150831_132145.jpeg dmax dump wood.jpg

I've had a 16' Griffin brand for 6 years now. Made in Elkhart Inidana. Bought it based on price. Looks identical to Legend.

Yep, apparently mine is a Griffin as well. Even though it was sold as a Legend. I have half a mind to rectify that with the dealer via misrepresentation. ALL of the trailers they sell made by Griffin they are selling under the Legend name.

Cons- Dump angle isn't enough sometimes (gotta game plan where to dump, slopes and getting square), every one I have seen has horrid paint-especially mine, illegal weight wise as far as CDL and combo weight stickers and more than what my old black 1 ton duramax is rated for, stock jack was useless, stock marine battery was too small, floor could afford to be slightly heavier, the rear D-rings jam split wood and you have to keep freeing it when dumping.

If I was pulling this for hire, it would require a Class A. Fortunately I already have one.

Everything else Ill have to wait and see. 2 of the guys I work with have the same trailer, one 12' tag and the other a 16' goose. Both seem to be holding up well.

I absolutely love mine. I can fit 2 cords loose, loaded very heaping and 12"x16' side boards. That's right at 14k# (5k empty), so 8-9k# of wood. 2 straight ram setup works fine. Has dumped 14k load, moving gravel around yard. Solar charger when dumping 5-10 times a day is a must. Much better luck with the biggest marine battery that will fit, if you are going to push it.

Glad to hear the capacities you are getting. I picked up a couple 2x12 this evening.

Also, depending on how heavy your tractor is, you NEED rear trailer support when you are loading and unloading. It will bend the frame where the traingle of the tongue turns into the side rail frame support beams. Ask me how I know.....View attachment 482417 View attachment 482418

Tractor is a Kubota B2650. Barely 2000 pounds. I had it in the trailer last weekend to get an idea of what I need for tie downs. Didn't seem to be any issues or undue movement and only added about 100 pounds of weight to the tongue. I was surprised to see it has 500 pounds on the hitch empty.

I'm please with it so far. Although the dealer selling it as something it isn't will always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

This misrepresentation is going to get the better of me.

I just looked up Griffin trailers and sure as ****, there it is. Absolutely no mention of Legend or any affiliation whatsoever.

The icing on the cake is the salesman told me "they have these built to their (Becks, the dealership) specifications"....

Someone talk me out of pursuing this further.... I don't have a lot of tolerance for being lied to, especially on something that costs what this costs.

that a CRD processor?
Yep. Bought it outside Jacksonville last NYE used with 286 hours. "Loco 20" 2013 model. Personally have about 200 cords through it (still getting a better supply and delivery system worked out). Have had 3 "for-hire" jobs, all at a fixed day rate. Jumped into processor faster than I wanted to but the sale of the previous and the price on this one was excellent. I work 3000 hours a year (mostly in the spring and fall) so this is still just a hobby......loco 4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back