Searching Old Posts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+stihl +361 +muffler +mod +lakeside

Search by posts instead of threads. Include as much information as possible and then work backwards. Put a + sign in front of each term and it will only return posts that have all of the terms in them. Then you read what you want, and if you need to learn more, you start deleting terms.

+361 + muffler +mod

will give you more posts and more junk. Eventually, you will cut down the chaff until it's not worth your time anymore.

Searching

Stihl 361

is garbage. You will get everything that has either term. That's half the posts on this site.

Just get a little specific, and use the + sign to include everything.

I tried the + thing. I think the key is to search posts as you say.

Little tricks fine tune searching. Each search varies. Common terms like 361 muffler are not going to be too helpful. If you know which forum it was posted in then start there. Try an advanced search, select posts not threads. Sometimes you remember who posted it then use their name in the advanced search. The BSnelling search was 441 studs. Had to look at many posts to find it. Or just read all the posts and file it away. Then the search is pretty simple.

vBullitin has crap search
you can site search by scrolling down to the botom of anypage and typing it into the google search bar at the bottom or by going to google and typing in
site:http://www.arboristsite.com/ your search words here.
googles search is much better than that crap vBulletin includes in their sofware.

that way you can use all the extra search features google has.
also using commands like - and quoting exact phrases you want to include in your search works wonders.
if you want to search a few words that together mean a specific item such as "big bore kit" dont just type in BIG BORE KIT put it in quotes like "BIG BORE KIT" that way it wont search those 3 words as seporate things it will only bring up pages that have those 3 words in succession.

edit:
BSnelling's should have gone to google and typed in site:http://www.arboristsite.com "441 studs" stihl
and the google search at the botom of the site doesn't seem to bring up any results so i guess dont use that one.

Last edited:
You can aim google at AS and use it to search though. In Google where you would normally enter what you are looking for, you know "Gary's mix oil" try this:
site:www.arboristsite.com^search string(s)

Note: The ^ is a single space.

I am pretty sure you can use Boolean operators this was as well, but have not played.

You can aim google at AS and use it to search though. In Google where you would normally enter what you are looking for, you know "Gary's mix oil" try this:
site:www.arboristsite.com^search string(s)

Note: The ^ is a single space.

I am pretty sure you can use Boolean operators this was as well, but have not played.

I replied to someone's earlier post trying to get a mighty Poulan 2150 running right after a fire after someone else changed fuel line. I did a quick search using AS search and did not have good luck, no way to narrow the results. So, after I posted the above here, I thought I might take my own advice, searched from google using:
site:www.arboristsite.com 2150 fuel fish (Fish is the one that gave us the right info in the original thread.)

Sure enough, first hit was the one I was looking for:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1149962

Enjoy......

Latest posts

Back