seasoning cast iron

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well when i get back from Lejeunistan, im getting my truck and i will make a stop at the lodge plant and get second hand cast irom for my maw.

Treat yourself to a couple of Dutch ovens,outdoor cooking at its best.The Lodge plant is in South Pittsburg,just outside Chattanooga.

You can wash cast iron pans with soap and water. Modern dish detergent is a lot better than soaps of yesterday. If you pan is properly seasoned the soap will not hurt it at all. Be sure to dry the pan after washing either with a towel or heating it on the stove. Do not put a cast pan into a dishwasher. Seasoning on cast is carbon and it is bugger hard to remove if you are trying to restore an old pan. The easiest way to heat the pan upto about 600F for and hour and the seasoning will bake off along with the rust. You can do this in a self cleaning oven or out on a good gas grill/charcoal grill. Be careful not to warp the pan. If you have a wire wheel, give the pan a good going over to remove any remaining seasoning/rust. You must coat a wire brushed pan with oil immediately or it will rust before your eyes. To properly season cast, coat the pan with veggy oil and bake upside down at 400-450 for about an hour (outside on the grill will help keep the peace in the home). Let the pan cool down slowly and repeat the oil, heat and cool cycle twice more. Reseason whenever you need to. Used cast is readily available on fleabay but fetches premium monies.

I've got my grandmothers skillet that made a pan of cornbread a day. For 40 years this pan was not washed with water or anything else. She would make a pan of cornbread, flip it out, (never stuck, always perfect), wipe it out with a cloth, and stick it back into the oven she just pulled it from. I think this was what seasoned this to perfection. Now with that being said that is all that was cooked in this one as she had others for frying. She's been gone for 15 years now and I can't duplicate her cornbread even though I have her recipie, Damn I miss peas and cornbread on Saturday afternoon.

Love my cast iron.
Buy it used. sometimes I want to clean them up.
Clean it the first time in a self cleaning over, in the self cleaning mode comes out like new, then season.
If my pan is not to grungy after use I put a bit of oil and salt in it and work that with a paper towel for a bit to clean the pan, works pretty good, if its grungy I use the water method.

Mods, can you move this to the right forum? I inadvertently put it here. Thanks guys. :cheers:

Com'on Space,,,,

I find it sort of what to expect next from you!!!!!!!!!:monkey: LOLOL!!!!!

I've got my grandmothers skillet that made a pan of cornbread a day. For 40 years this pan was not washed with water or anything else. She would make a pan of cornbread, flip it out, (never stuck, always perfect), wipe it out with a cloth, and stick it back into the oven she just pulled it from. I think this was what seasoned this to perfection. Now with that being said that is all that was cooked in this one as she had others for frying. She's been gone for 15 years now and I can't duplicate her cornbread even though I have her recipie, Damn I miss peas and cornbread on Saturday afternoon.

Dang it boy that makes me Hungry wooooowwwwwieeeee!!! season them peas with some fatback,,, and on the side a plate of sliced homegrown tomatos & cucumbers with a glass of Iced tea!!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMM hhhmmmmmmmmmhhHHHHHHH

And top it off with a piece of SlowP's Huckleberry Pie and wood 4heats home made Hand cranked Vanilla Ice cream!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My old skillet has the seasoning instruction cast into the bottom
I just wash it and heat it on the stove to dry...
we''l have to vote this as the goofy thread of the year
stuffz102.jpg

Last edited:
You can wash cast iron pans with soap and water. Modern dish detergent is a lot better than soaps of yesterday. If you pan is properly seasoned the soap will not hurt it at all. Be sure to dry the pan after washing either with a towel or heating it on the stove. Do not put a cast pan into a dishwasher. Seasoning on cast is carbon and it is bugger hard to remove if you are trying to restore an old pan. The easiest way to heat the pan upto about 600F for and hour and the seasoning will bake off along with the rust. You can do this in a self cleaning oven or out on a good gas grill/charcoal grill. Be careful not to warp the pan. If you have a wire wheel, give the pan a good going over to remove any remaining seasoning/rust. You must coat a wire brushed pan with oil immediately or it will rust before your eyes. To properly season cast, coat the pan with veggy oil and bake upside down at 400-450 for about an hour (outside on the grill will help keep the peace in the home). Let the pan cool down slowly and repeat the oil, heat and cool cycle twice more. Reseason whenever you need to. Used cast is readily available on fleabay but fetches premium monies.

Yes. I use some fruity smelling Dawn because it was on sale. And spilled on the way home making my pickup smell fruity fresh and me wondering what did I buy that smelled like that? It says it is pomagranate. Then I put it on the burner to dry and then I spray some olive oil on it while the pan is hot. It works well. A friend who is a cast iron diva would scream blasphemy.

Now, I have to buy a new range. Electric. Because I like my cast iron, I can't get a smooth top. Or can I? Am I stealing the thread? You betcha.

back on topic!

here's the world's best way to season any cast iron cooking gear.

1. build a healthy wood fire... let die down to coals
2. put your cast iron pots, pans, etc into wood fire and cover with coals.
3. leave cast iron in fire pit over night. let coals naturally die

don't be taking out red hot cast iron to look at it. it'll probably crack.
wait until next morning after coals naturally cool down.

this method produces world's best seasoned cast iron.
don't believe me.... try it.. it'll make a believer out of you!

I learned this from an old timer at the flea market. who always had the BEST looking cast iron cookware. finally I asked.. how in the world do you put that super nice finish on your cast iron.

above was what he told me....

Last edited:
No soap, it removes the varnish that builds up from the polymerized oil. Coolest trick I've found for scrubbing stuck on stuff, crumple some aluminium foil...it scrubs well, but is softet than the coating.

My cast iron fry pan is like 30 years old or summat...used it tonight to make the sauce for pasta...I clean it with joy detergent and water, and 'gasp' a stainless steel pad!!! It NEVER rusts...
After making pancakes it just gets a wipe and put away. (Got to make sure the pasta sauce is all cleaned out or you get some odd tasting pancakes though...
We has a skillet pan too for doing steak and burgers, had ridges in the bottom so the fat can drain, but my hubby broke the handle!!!

Well, cooked some bacon tonight on the freshly seasoned pan. Had absolutely no problem with sticking, and it cleaned right up by pouring the oil out, setting it on the burner still hot, and putting some hot water in it to boil. I got to say, maybe there is something to this seasoning after all.

It was interesting how the bacon grease turns black and gooey at high temperatures. I guess this is when it turns to carbon?

Cast Iron as used in machinery is left to season by just standing on a flat level surface out of the weather for a year or two. That's it.

Yeah...the ol' boneyard!! (Most of the time nowadays they do it with heat or 'lectricity, though...)

God as my witness I thought this was what the thread was about when I read the title!!

Last edited:
Seasoning Your Dutch Oven
Cast iron Dutch ovens, if properly cared for, will last for many generations. Constant and proper Dutch oven care beginning from the day the oven is purchased will keep it in service for many years. All quality ovens are shipped with a protective coating that must be removed prior to seasoning. Removing the protective coating requires a good scrubbing with a little soap, some hot water, steel wool, and a little elbow grease. This is the only time you will ever use soap on your Dutch oven. Once the oven has been cleaned, it should be rinsed well, then towel dried and allowed to air dry.

You can use your kitchen oven to season a Dutch oven but just a word of warning, You will smoke up your house if you season your Dutch ovens indoors. I recommend using an outdoor gas barbecue in a well ventilated area. Preheat your barbecue or kitchen oven to 375°. After your Dutch oven is dry, place it on the center rack with the lid ajar. Allow it to warm slowly so it is just barely too hot to handle with bare hands. This preheating does two things, it drives any remaining moisture out of the metal and opens the pores of the metal.

Note: You can also season a Dutch oven in your fireplace. I installed a cast iron pot hanger to the back wall of my fireplace so I could hang my ovens over the fire. If your chimney flu has a good draw you won't get much grease smoke in your house, however, I still recommend opening a few windows and doors.

Now, using a paper towel or a clean 100% cotton rag, apply a thin layer of cooking oil. I prefer using vegetable oil over peanut and olive oils because the burning point of vegetable oil is lower so it will set up and harden at lower temperatures. Tallow or lard can also be used but they tend to break down over time so are not recommended on ovens that will be stored for long periods of time. Make sure the oil covers every inch of the oven, inside and out and replace it on the center rack, this time upside down with the lid resting on top of the legs. This will keep oil from pooling in the bottom of the oven. Bake the oven for about an hour or so at 375°. This baking hardens the oil into a protective coating over the metal.

After baking, allow the Dutch oven to cool slowly. When it is cool enough to handle, apply another thin coating of oil. Repeat the baking and cooling process. When the oven can be handled again apply another thin coating of oil. Do not leave any standing oil in the oven! Standing oil can turn rancid ruining the protective coating you just applied. Allow the oven to cool completely. Now it should have three layers of oil, two baked on and one applied when it was warm. The oven is now ready for use.

This seasoning procedure only needs to be done once, unless rust forms or the coating is damaged in storage or use. This baked on coating will darken and eventually turn black with age. This darkening is a sign of a well kept oven and of it's use. The seasonin's purpose is two fold, first and most important, it forms a barrier between moisture in the air and the surface of the metal. This effectively prevents the metal from rusting. The second purpose is to provide a nonstick coating on the inside of the oven. When properly maintained, this coating is as nonstick as most of the commercially applied coatings.

Note: Avoid cooking anything with a high acid content such as tomatoes, or a lot of sugar such as cobblers for the first 2 or 3 times after seasoning your oven. The acid and sugars can break down the protective covering before it has a chance to harden properly

Cleaning Your Dutch Oven
Dutch oven care starts with the seasoning of the metal, but the second step is to make sure you clean your ovens properly after each use. More often than not, cleaning cast iron Dutch ovens is much easier than scrubbing pots and pans. For cast iron, the cleaning process is in two steps. First, food is removed and second, maintenance of the protective coating. To remove stuck on food, place some warm clean water into the oven and heat until almost boiling. Using a plastic mesh scrubber or coarse sponge and No Soap, gently break loose the food and wipe away. After all traces have been removed, rinse with clean warm water. Soap is not recommended because it will break down the protective covering and will get into the pores of the metal to taint the flavor of your next meal.

After cleaning and rinsing, allow the oven to air dry. Then heat it over the fire just until it is hot to the touch. Apply a thin coating of oil to both the inside and outside of the oven and the top and underside of the lid. Allow the oven to cool completely. If you do not oil the outside of the oven, then with use, the protective barrier will break down and the oven will start to rust. As a suggestion, it is a good idea to keep a scrubber for cast iron and never use it with soap.

Excellent post SOTW,now Space needs a few recipes.Crispy Chicken Livers with Bacon Gravy would be a good starter.He needs to get a Dutch Oven,one with legs and the flat top,so he can try out some Peach Cobbler(made with a dash of Old No.7) or Dutch Oven Sourdough Bread.Gotta go,made myself hungry.

This is not the silliest thread of the year,not even close.

Back