Season's first fire last nite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Barely broke 60° yesterday. Actually, it got up to 62° but felt colder indoors. Northeaster coming off the Atlantic, so it was pretty raw, too.

Probably could have lived without a fire in the stove, but we use it for cooking also. Got a nice meatloaf out of the oven, as well as some potatoes.

Took quite a while to establish a good draft in the chimney where it was relatively warm. Had to have the back damper set to kindle for quite awhile before sliding it over to the 'bake' setting.

After supper was cooked, the stove went out pretty quick. Burnt little more than scraps here and there. Definitely chased the damp out of the house. Cookstove food always tastes better, too.

Anyone else christen their woodburner for the season yet?

25 F here night before last but I didn't build a fire yet. Haven't done the pre-season stove pipe clean yet... I better get on it.

80 during the day and 20's at night, gotta love the high desert.

Not here either, new stove just arrived, be a bit before I exchange new for old. Not really cold enough yet 65 lows 80's daytime, around 70? on Wed.

Were just now have upper 60s at night. Even that is a because of a cold pressure system pushing through. Nope I'm sure I still have a ways to go. I'm guessing end of October. More time for the wood to season though.

Been in the mid fifties at night here, but I haven't lit up yet. Got almost all my wood inside for the winter though.:clap::clap:

Haven't cranked up a fire yet, but finally the temps are dropping at night down to the high fifties. It sure was nice this morning stepping outside to a little chill

If I had the new stove connected, ot the old still installed I probably woudl have... not that it's COLD by any means, but it rained all day and night and got into the 50s.... I would have burned just to try the stove out. Guess I have to stop on my way home from work to pick up a length of stovepipe tomorrow. Too bad our little chillier weather is going away and it will be back into the high 80s next week. I can't wait for fall!

Barely broke 60° yesterday. Actually, it got up to 62° but felt colder indoors. Northeaster coming off the Atlantic, so it was pretty raw, too.

Probably could have lived without a fire in the stove, but we use it for cooking also. Got a nice meatloaf out of the oven, as well as some potatoes.

Took quite a while to establish a good draft in the chimney where it was relatively warm. Had to have the back damper set to kindle for quite awhile before sliding it over to the 'bake' setting.

After supper was cooked, the stove went out pretty quick. Burnt little more than scraps here and there. Definitely chased the damp out of the house. Cookstove food always tastes better, too.

Anyone else christen their woodburner for the season yet?

I put a new stove and fresh firebrick in the shop. had a heck of a time trying to get a fire going to cure the mortar. Gave me a bit of doubt about the stove till I read your post....

:cheers:

Nope, still pretty warm. Cooled off yesterday evening and today after a storm pushed through, but not near enough to burn. More time to season the wood, but I'm anxious to try out the newly installed stove.

Cookstove food always tastes better, too

I know what you mean. Just reading that reminds me of my youth. Nothing like fresh bread out of the oven.

Got down to 56ºf here last night. Felt good to cover up for once. Trying to hold off with the OWB until late Sept. If need be, I have more than enough small stuff to get her going.

I burn natural gas but its FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap: i give it 4 more weeks before i open my meter plate to stage 3 or 3/8" orfice to run the heater.

But it will be nice to see my sell wood going down the road

I know what you mean. Just reading that reminds me of my youth. Nothing like fresh bread out of the oven.

Got down to 56ºf here last night. Felt good to cover up for once. Trying to hold off with the OWB until late Sept. If need be, I have more than enough small stuff to get her going.

Nothing tastes better than hot bread and biscuits fresh baked while camping around a campfire. Bread or biscuits can be baked in a Dutch Oven buried in a bed of live coals. Biscuits can also be baked in a reflector oven made from AL foil or in a pan lodged inside of a bucket.

I looked at the woodstove for a while last night, but it wasn't worth the hassle, it would have had to be a small break in fire and then I'd have to do it all again in a month or two.

I did have a fire in the pit out back last weekend though. Probably another this weekend. Beer, food cooked over hardwood coals, fire pit and darts by the fire light. Fun and dangerous all at the same time.

Had dropped to 58 here 2 nights ago but inside my house it was still 73.. Had to kick on the a/c at night...Damn low ceilings. But someone in neighborhood had stove or fireplace on and it reminded me.........we're close!!

Its like I been holding my breath for 4 months! Finally can breath!

Good to hear that I wasn't the only nut to light the stove! Yep, raw and cool. But I did have to leave the windows open after the fire got going. It dried it out nicely. My wife initially complained, but once it was going she and the cats were right in front of it. And the dog. And my kids. Hmm, guess I was the only one too busy to enjoy it...

Latest posts

Back